Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Pulled out a motorhome today

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Pulled out a motorhome today

Got a call from a buddy who lives down the road, and works for his neighbor who does open wheel modified car racing. He has a huge freightliner renegade R.V. with a cat in it(1600lb ft of torque), and it weighs like 23k plus lbs dry i believe he said, and he said he had quite a bit of water in it on top of that. Anyway. My buddy said they had it stuck(he was actually talking to dad), and was wondering if we could come pull it out(they thought we would bring the tractor i think). Dad said yeah, and we got the clevis, and chain, and hopped int he cummins, and went down there. He was trying to get his trailer out of his yard so he could load up his car, and the ground was a little wet, and the motorhome just sunk. I backed up(was on blacktop), put it in 4 low, and he was in it, and i thought he was trying to go, so i proceeded to ease down on the gas. Once i got to maybe 1500rpm's it started burning the tires on blacktop so i let of, and tried again, and it did the same. I was like well. I thought surley i could move it out of there. But then he started giving it some gas(i believe he had the air brakes on the first 2 times), and i just gave it like 1/4 to 1/3rd throttle, and popped it right out of there not spinning or anything. Then he asked if i thought i could get his trailer out, and i said sure; so i backed right up there to it, and idled it out of the yard onto the blacktop so he could hook it up. His wife was amazed i had gotten it out with my truck, and i was just smiling . Dad has pulled out a stuck rig before with his truck, and i have just been waiting for a big snow this winter so i can find people on the side of the road stuck to pull out, but we have had NO snow at all this year, so no luck on that . Anyway. I had fun, and the best part was my buddy is kind of a ford guy(has an 80's F-350 with a 351, 4 speed 4x4), and he saw it all What have you guys pulled out? These thing will pull ANYTHING if they have the traction.

Eric
Old 02-06-2005, 04:26 PM

I've pulled a Mack CH613 w/a 50' Wilson pot. Had a blown turbo, snapped the shaft. BUT, I did it with the Ford (150hp. 6.9L). This was before I had the Ram. The rig weighs in at 32k.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. The Ram should do a little better.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:34 PM

The process would probably go a little quicker. Hey! Im only 160hp stock Oops. Forgot im not stock

Eric
Old 02-06-2005, 04:40 PM

Cant get link of picture to work
Old 02-06-2005, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ve yanked out.

With my old ford IDI, a tractor from the side of a lake and a burried down chasis in a best friends yard.. The other day at my ecological site though, a buddy of mine went in with his ford explorer. Mind you three things came to mind. He was gonna get stuck was the first, the second was that dirt is that white clay taht you use for lakes and ponds for a base, and three. WHAT WAS HE THINKIN? with a 2 wheel drive goin in there.. Needless to say he calls me up.. Rick you are the only guy i know with a 4x4 that dont give a edit, will u come to the site and get me and shelly out? Ok.. I had my friend kim with me and the first thing i noticed was wow he got in pretty deep with a two wheel drive.. i went in and my front end sunk.... well grabbed 4 and clogged all 4 tires but i was moving along fairly easily at speeds of 15 mph (closer to 10 with wheel spin..) i got to where he was and hooked a chain to his front tow hook, and to my pintle... I told him take the truck out of park and put it in neutral signal to kim when uve done it.... He did, and i dropped into 4 low.. ok the truck had some trouble hookin up until the rpms reached about 2K in 2nd gear and BLAM!! truck starts to storm down the road.. I pulled him all the way to the road (bout 300 yards) and when i got him to the pavement.. my truck felt alot worse than in the mud.. so i stopped.. we got off to unhook the vehicle from mine and i saw two real pretty ruts all the way to the road.... Um Leo, did you take the truck out of park? Um no man... THAS WHY it felt hard and heavy and first and when i hit the pavement.. the rest of the time, it felt like i was pullin nothing behind me...

TxDiesel007
Old 02-07-2005, 03:46 PM

I was listening to Car Talk on NPR recently, and I think they were reading a listener's letter that had been sent in, or something like that. It was from a guy who recently moved from the N. East to the South, and he had written something along the lines of a Northerner's guide to survival in the South. One of the bits of advice was something like:

"If you ever run off the road and get struck in a ditch, don't panic. Just wait, and shortly a bunch of guys with a big pickup truck, a chain, and a cooler full of beer will show up to pull you out. Just stand back out of the way; they know what they're doing. After all, they live for this."

I'm paraphrasing, of course. That last line had me near tears.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:14 PM

Thats great!! And the great part is; its the truth Made my day to be able to say ive pulled out a stuck motorhome. lol

Eric
Old 02-07-2005, 06:40 PM

Man that brought back memories
Old 02-07-2005, 07:17 PM

I found a picture of the actual rig and trailer on the net. This picture was took from my buddies yard into their yard. The shop is right behind the motor home, and trailer in this picture. Link:

http://www.teamhtl.com/11.html

You can tell its a hoss of a machine

Eric
Old 02-07-2005, 07:35 PM

When I had my excursion I yanked out a peterbuilt dump truck...he was tryin to get back on to the road from a job site and got stuck diagnal in the ditch/driveway and so i stopped and he asked if i could "attempt" to pull him out and the cop said no I will have a Big rig wrecker come so i was like what the heck ill do anyhow....So i had my 80hp chip in currently and the 130hp chip in my center consol...I SWITCHED! pulled around hooked up chains and put it in 4low, hit the OD button and started to pull the dump truck was spinning and i keep pullin till i had the pedal almost to the floor with 20psi boost and it pulled right out....The cop was amazed...He questioned me about what all I had done and i told him exhaust and intake and a lil chip and he said dang i might have to go get a diesel...

Old 02-07-2005, 07:46 PM

Yeah. Thats awesome. Like i said. The guys wife was astounded. She never would have thought i could have pulled them out with my truck. Once he started trying, i yanked him right out. Its hard to move 26k lbs or so of dead weight when its not helping any, and in some big ruts

Eric
Old 02-07-2005, 10:52 PM

Pulled a tractor that got stuck down over a pretty steep hill. It took me a while but I got it up over the hill. only problem was I blew both front u-joints when the front tires hit pavement .
DM01
Old 02-08-2005, 02:59 PM

Yeah. Gotta remember to let of when the fronts on the pavement, and the rears arent .

Eric
Old 02-08-2005, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by cditrani
I was listening to Car Talk on NPR recently, and I think they were reading a listener's letter that had been sent in, or something like that. It was from a guy who recently moved from the N. East to the South, and he had written something along the lines of a Northerner's guide to survival in the South. One of the bits of advice was something like:

"If you ever run off the road and get struck in a ditch, don't panic. Just wait, and shortly a bunch of guys with a big pickup truck, a chain, and a cooler full of beer will show up to pull you out. Just stand back out of the way; they know what they're doing. After all, they live for this."

I'm paraphrasing, of course. That last line had me near tears.
You know its true. I pulled someone out at 3 AM on a deserted middle of NO WHERE British Columbia highway... the road was PURE ICE... he said he'd been waiting for a couple of hours. Part of my MUST HAVES include a hitch clevis and tow rope. Not only is it fun, but it's rewarding...
Old 02-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Banned

lets see...my buddy sank his jeep up to the floor boards with 35's and 8" of lift...i went in to get him on stock tires, and stock height, buried myself up to the diff's and still yanked him out, just took ALOT of wheel speed to get moving in that slop

same area a week later, had a guy get stuck in a bone stock 90's bronco at the top of a hill going over the crest into a mud hole, water went over his hood and cut the motor, 2 jeeps couldnt pull him out and nobody had a winch. the problem was the only way to pull was to pull down a steep hill on a truck that was already over the top bascially so physics work against you...i was on dry dirt and it took 3 hard 4-lo yanks to get him moving finally but i got him out. took some rags and dried his rotor cap, and she fired right up after that.

lastly i was at a "Hooters" restaurant when i look out and see a BIG GMC 750 or 7500 series (some big rig gmc truck) prolly a 20k-25K rig with a 5th wheel hook up and a 4 car ramp style trailer stuck on a small hill in some snow piles and couldnt get moving, he tried to yank it out with a little tiny suv, like a geo tracker...i hooked up and pulled him out with ease, i put on a good show for my friends anyway!

Quick Reply: Pulled out a motorhome today