General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

powerstroke problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
powerstroke problems

I drive an 02 7.3 powerstroke f550 at work and its having some issues. First off, its been starting real hard when its cold out. It will crank for 30 seconds then cough and choke for a couple seconds and die. after several such tries it will start running, and once it warms up it runs fine. Also, it will sometimes (not very often) start to smoke white and idle real rough while waiting at a light or parking. If you rev it up to 3k it will smoke like crazy then start to run smooth again. A couple times it even shut off on me when it started idling weird. It went in to get serviced a couple weeks ago and they replaced the fuel filter and said the old one was real bad. That didn't change any of the problems, so I thought I'd ask and see if anyone can point me in the right direction. Man am I glad I own a cummins!
Old 04-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe a crank sensor? They have been a known weak point that would mess up the timing and cause some of the symptoms you speak of. Just a thought..

Supposed to be an easy fix too, I am not up on all the details..
Old 04-02-2008, 11:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
crank sensor, or possibly the HPOP. The one that drives the injectors getting weak.

what you are describing is a classic symptom of the high pressure oil pump going out. Might want to get it tested.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by pind
...what you are describing is a classic symptom of the high pressure oil pump going out. Might want to get it tested.
That'd be my first guess too...
Old 04-03-2008, 09:04 AM

thanks so much for the replies! I know next to nothing about these powerstrokes. I've heard about the crank sensors going bad, but not about the high pressure oil pump. So the injectors are controled by oil pressure eh? thanks again, hopefuly this will set me in the right direction.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:51 PM

I have an 02 Excursion with the 7.3 and just got a recall notice on monday for crank sensor replacment.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by truckjunkie
That'd be my first guess too...
x2 on teh high pressure oil pump (HPOP) going bad.

Also, if your oil is bad and foams too much, or teh level very bad, it can cause the same symptoms as teh HPOP failing.

BTW, its not the crank position sensor (CPS). Those either work or don't work, but will not cause white smoke, erratic idle, etc.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:33 PM

Also, if your oil is bad and foams too much, or teh level very bad, it can cause the same symptoms as teh HPOP failing.
The oil was changed at the last service too, but that didn't help the problem.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:36 PM

Probably the HPOP, you can use a 1/4 socket driver and pull the plug on the HPOP to check the oil level. Usually if you have a problem after you let it sit the oil level in the HPOP will bleed down.... And the HPOPs are a little pricey!!

Also, could be glow plugs or glow plug relay issue. GPRs are known to go bad, which would mean your glow plugs wouldn't be helping at all. If it is the glow plugs themselves they are also a little work to get to, but do-able.

It is not the CPS. If you had an issue with the CPS you normally will have it manifest by the truck dying completely and not re-starting or stumbling when driving.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by feveree40
The oil was changed at the last service too, but that didn't help the problem.
There is an anti-foaming additive that you should be adding with every oil change. It may or may not be the problem. Hard to tell.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:17 PM

Get yourself a Cummins
Old 04-03-2008, 10:23 PM

Get yourself a Cummins
Haha. I've got one, its 12 years older than the powerstroke and I've had far less trouble with it. The boss just won't buy anything other than fords.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:27 PM

Probably the HPOP, you can use a 1/4 socket driver and pull the plug on the HPOP to check the oil level. Usually if you have a problem after you let it sit the oil level in the HPOP will bleed down.... And the HPOPs are a little pricey!!

Also, could be glow plugs or glow plug relay issue. GPRs are known to go bad, which would mean your glow plugs wouldn't be helping at all. If it is the glow plugs themselves they are also a little work to get to, but do-able.
Sorry, I've never worked on a powerstroke. Where are the GPRs? and the HPOP? Thanks again for all the help.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An 02 PSD doesn't have Glow Plug relays anymore. By 02, they went to the Glow plug module. Its located on the top of the engine, on the passenger side, silver with cooling fins on it.

Sounds more like the HPOP going bad, because you said it belches white smoke when hot....glow plugs aren't going to do that. The other thing also, could be one or more of the injector o-rings not sealing that well.....
Old 04-04-2008, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by feveree40
Sorry, I've never worked on a powerstroke. Where are the GPRs? and the HPOP? Thanks again for all the help.
GPR = Glow Plug Relay

HPOP = High Pressure Oil Pump

Quick Reply: powerstroke problems