General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Poor man's leak down test.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 08:30 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Poor man's leak down test.

Yesterday I had about a ton of water on the back of the truck while watering some trees in a remote location. Had the truck parked on steep slope in first gear but no emergency brake. The truck slowly, cylinder by cylinder worked it's way downhill. About 3 inches per stroke. It then occured to me that if someone suspects a a weak cylinder that this would be a quick and cheap way to check if all cylinders have the same compression. Just time the difference between strokes. A higher gear could be used if the slope is not very steep. If one cylinder consistantly moves quicker than the others, then this may indicate a problem. Would advise that someone stays in the truck to activate the brake if necessary.
Was watching this with some amusement while watering. Then the truck came to the bottom of the hill - and stopped with one wheel on top of my hosepipe! : Had to move the truck to get the pipe out.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Poor man's leak down test.

O.K., how do you figure out which cylinder is the one that is weak? Then you try that with my tranny and how would it work? Be my luck someone would pull up behind me and start blowing the horn to try to stop it rather than move their vehicle.
Tom
Old 12-24-2003, 01:43 PM

I used to have to water cattle by the hundreds like you water the trees,it is amazing how a we can solve the worlds problems when it is all peacfull and quiet?? And the mind has time to wander. So with that ,I guess if you knew which cylinder it was it would give you a idea!! Keep thinking ! Becuase when we stop we die. Goodluck and Happy Holidays Rick Oh yea maybe you can help me sove one next time you water,when my girls was 10 and 12 I was the smartest man alive,now when they are one in college and the other a highschool senior I have overnight gotten dumb again??
Old 12-24-2003, 02:47 PM

Hey Rick, just remember in the kids' eyes "The older that I get the smarter my parents get".
Old 12-24-2003, 04:23 PM

So one day they will think I am smart again huh? I am afraid by that time I might be experiencing those so called senior moments!!! Goodluck and all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Rick