General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Plugged muffler??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plugged muffler??

Who alls heard of a plugged muffler that restricts bad enough the engine is down on power? I work for Halliburton and had to hotshot frac trucks back to town yesterday. On the second trip I jumped in a new truck, its actually an 06 but its been sitting in the shop getting a shower put in it (its a straight truck-no trailer) with 677 hours on it and 3500-somethin miles. So its still basically brand new. Its got a twin turbo CAT C10 in it.

So I start going and notice it has real bad response, pedals to the floor and it barely accelerates. Anyway I get on the interstate and it goes 25mph TOPS. Pull over, the frac mechanic pulls up, we can hear hissing coming from the top turbo, he says "Ill bet its a plugged muffler." Im standin there like "dude, your crazy. Gonna take the muffler off on the side of the road for nothing."

We get it off, and to my surprise it fixed it. The soot that fell out from inside the muffler literally looked like little chunks of coal. But I was smilin the whole way into town drivin it straight piped!! And the jake was LOUD!! My suggestion for straight-piping all the company trucks didnt go over so well though. Bummer. Whos ever heard of that before?
Old 01-20-2008, 02:14 PM

How often does the truck just sit at an idle for hrs on end?
I only ask because there were some people on my drill sites that had that happen to them, and they let their trucks just idle for 1-5 days quite often.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:59 PM

I have experienced 2 clogged CATS. 1 on a Ferd & 1 on a RAM. The Ferd threw a code for excessive boost, the Ram didn't throw a code. Both trucks experienced the loss of power you described. Both were temporarily fixed by punching holes in the exhaust just in front of the CAT till I could get home and fix them correctly.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:57 PM

Well its a frac truck so I dont ever run it. But knowing frac, it sits and idles all day pretty much, and I would assume it isnt idled up either. Ive just never heard of a muffler clogging that bad.