General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Peterbuilt to enter light truck market???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peterbuilt to enter light truck market???

I was talking to a guy the other day that said Peterbuilt was building a pickup truck.

It'll be a diesel 1 1/2 ton truck to one up the big 3's 1 tons.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?? ???
Old 12-22-2003, 01:23 PM

Re:Peterbuilt to enter light truck market???

If they did it would cost so much more than Ford/Dodge/Chevy that very few would buy them. They would have to be hand assembled. Peterbuilt doesn't have an assembly line to dedicate to building a pickup, and it would be too costly to build a line. If anything they will build a truck that competes will the Freightliner FL60, and International's 4200/4300. The Freightliner FL60 that I have it technically considered a pickup due to the style of bed on it. I didn't have to pay excise tax on it when I bought it.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Id have to side with Stoked on that one.
Peterbilt is owned by PACCAR, I checked out both www.PACCAR.com as well as its Peterbilt link and found no mention of it.
If PACCAR was thinking about a smaller truck, Id have to agree that it would be in the Freightliner FL60, and International lines. Right now, the Model 330 is the smallest offerint (That I know of) from Peterbilt.

Heres what I looked at:
http://www.paccar.com/NewsReleases/news.asp
and
http://www.peterbilt.com/index_new.asp

No mention of such a truck. However, thats not saying they're thinking about it... I just havent heard of it.

Rich

See below for my newest restoration project (Not mine yet, still working on the details).
Old 12-22-2003, 02:24 PM

DielselDaze,,What are you going to do with that big truck?? I would like to restore one up with a extended frame and a RV on its back,I seen a 53 Mack streched and a 25 ft rv which looked to be a fairly new fith wheel it was done in a very professional way and looked sharp. I like the looks of those older trucks, Goodluck Rick
Old 12-22-2003, 03:03 PM
Administrator

In the interest of keeping this post on topic, I'll make this short.
One of my many hobies is restoring trucks. If I get this truck, I will do a basic tear down and restoration with a longer sleeper on its back.
If you want more info, feel free to PM me.

Rich
Old 12-22-2003, 04:39 PM

This was the first I'd heard of it too, but the guy (who drives a Peterbuilt) had just come back from a dealer for service & that's what they told him.

If they did build it I agree it would be priced at the top end of the market but I also believe there would be plenty of takers whatever the price, they could do it if there was enough intrest.

I just mentioned it because it was an interesing rumor.

It'd be way more truck than I need, My 03 HO 3/4 ton does everything I need it to do!!

Dieseldaze,
that looks like a great project!!
I'm seeing more of those at the race track & the dunes all the time, people can restore an older long wheelbase tractor with a RV sleeper built on it hauling a 40' trailer with all thier toys in it cheaper than a new 1 ton diesel pickup & a new enclosed trailer.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Pete 330 is in the same class as the IH, FL60,KW T300 ,Chev 7000, and Ford F650/750. It depends how it is ordered and what is installed on the frame behind the cab, they also offer a crewcab and Cowboy Cadillacs will set it up as a RV hauler. If cash is no object you can have anything you want. The Pete stock factory ordered has a nicer finish than either IH or Freightliner FL50/60 and can be optioned with nicer stainless and chrome packages just costs a little more. PK
Old 12-23-2003, 08:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Driven a lot of big trucks in the time that I have been in the construction, heavy hauling thing.
I must say in my opinion, Peterbilt is the one to drive. 8)
If they do decide to build a pickup, I will definitely be a customer.
Nothin' like a largecar.
Rich
Old 12-24-2003, 12:32 PM
yz

It would be pretty intresting if Pete got into small truck but I don't see it hapening. Hey DD got any specs. or info. on that 379. What about your previous projects? -Anthony
Old 12-24-2003, 02:18 PM
Administrator

You can see what Im looking at here:

1974 Pete Specs

Ive also done a 57 Pete that was almost finished when I picked it up.

My first restoration was done on a 47(?) Mack chain drive. That was a fun truck to restore. It was actually a friends truck that we restored together.

Rich
Old 12-24-2003, 02:43 PM

Hey Rich, That truck looks pretty decent for an older truck. The only "bad" thing is the NTC400. Them things smoke too much when cold for my liking. Besides, I drove a '75 Freightshaker that had an NTC530 that would out pull both 400's that I drove. That pump was stock too.
Tom
Old 12-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Administrator

The first truck I restored (The Mack) went to a private owner near San Diego.
I have no idea what he did with it.

The second truck (57 Pete) was purchased by an auction company.
I have no idea where it went.

My point is, I doubt either one of my previous trucks probably see more than just a few hundred clicks on the odometer a year now.
The fact that they smoke, or not, is probably not a big concern.

Both of my previous trucks were restored to (as near) original condition as possible, including smoke.

IF I get this one, Im thinking about making it look stock on the outside but upgrading the interior with some modern niceties.

Rich
Old 12-24-2003, 03:15 PM
yz

That pretty sweet. You will have to keep us up dated on how it goes. -Anthony
Old 12-24-2003, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Well, its not even mine yet, dont get your hopes up.

Theres the logistics (and cost)of getting the truck from Texas to Nevada, and the fact that its bad timing for in terms of finance. (During Christmas).

We'll see how it plays out. If I do get it, I'll post some more pics.

Rich
Old 12-25-2003, 03:35 PM

I know a guy at Peterbuilt who is in their Skunkworks dept. He's a designer. Also a premier streetrod designer. He designed the "NewMad" if anyone is familier with this car. Next time I see him, I'll see if I can get some inside scoop.

Quick Reply: Peterbuilt to enter light truck market???