General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Off road vs On road Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Off road vs On road Fuel

I usually get better mileage out of the farm fuel. It also burns a little hotter. As far as being checked. I attend the farm machinery show in Louisville every year. No checks. If I get low I put a little in the ole girl. Hey things are high enough in this old world.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran it in my 01 the mileage wasnt as good but the $$ difference made up for it. Never noticed a problem with it and ran it for at least 60k on the truck. Dodge mechanic replacing lift pump at 95k said they can tell at the factory if it had the red stuff in thats all thats ever been said to me. Ran just as good on green or red. just dont get caught or you will be :'( and then you'll feel like this after the fines
Old 11-09-2002, 06:46 PM

Hello<br> The fuel down here is green for on road fuel and red for off road fuel. I would be very careful about running the red stuff the DOT has been know to dip tanks at places like cattle auctions and farm shows.<br> If I recall correctly the red stuff has higher sulfer and will smoke alittle more. I have heard that it is better for the valves too.<br> <br>If smoke is what you are looking for add a box and some injectors. You can buy alot of &quot;goodies&quot; for 10K.<br>see Ya<br>Chris
Old 11-10-2002, 03:13 PM
Banned

Generally, you can only buy in bulk, getting it delivered to your farm's storage tank, but if your pickup has an auxilliary tank, with an external mounted pump, I guess the right paperwork, they'll fill the tank...<br> Louisville with red in the tank? n-o-o-o-o-t-t-t m-e-e-e-e !!!!! Hired Gun's kinda luck, I'd be on a riverboat with a big wad of cash every chance I got!!!
Old 11-11-2002, 03:03 AM

Yes, Georgia uses a white cup under the filter drain. I would ot dare put a drop in mine.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:43 AM
Administrator

I put three gallons in mine one day before I realized the morons had put the off road pump nozzle on one side and the on road on the other side of the pump. There was only a little sticker saying the difference. I chewed them up and down for a half hour and let me tell you, I was nervous for a month and it takes a lot to make me nervous. I filled it up to the neck with on road and drove on. Phew.
Old 11-16-2002, 06:21 AM
Chapter President

Same here had a farm helper fill up my Dodge (we have a off road tank for the tractors and a on road tank) well he filled from the wrong tank...after all the cusing was done I ran it and it took 10-12 more tank refills to get rid of the red dye...the off road tank has a padlock on it now :'(
Old 11-16-2002, 02:36 PM

My post from another thread on this subject back in September:<br><br>I was in southern New Jersey last weekend where I used to live. It's about 6 miles east of Philadelphia and about as &quot;sub&quot;urban as you can get without being called &quot;city&quot;. There ain't no farms around there. I pull in for diesel and lo and behold there are 2 pumps, one of which was marked &quot;Off Road Diesel $1.01&quot;; about 35 cents cheaper that regular diesel. You can't pump your own in NJ, so the guy walks over, and goes for the off-road pump. I have to tell you guys the temptation never crossed my mind. &quot;What are you doing, Cheif?&quot; I asked. &quot;Sahib, it is the same diesel, only cheaper&quot;, he answered motioning to the price. &quot;Not if you get stopped!&quot;, I said. &quot;Pump the regular stuff&quot;. This guy shrugs and pumps the regular stuff. He was either clueless.....or sly as a fox. I'm still trying to figure out why off-road diesel was there in the first place. There isn't a John Deere within 10 miles of this place! ;D
Old 11-16-2002, 02:43 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

[quote author=Commatoze link=board=8;threadid=6682;start=15#67892 date=1037479007]<br>He was either clueless.....or sly as a fox. I'm still trying to figure out why off-road diesel was there in the first place. There isn't a John Deere within 10 miles of this place! ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>He's probably got the local DOT office tel # on speed-dial.

Quick Reply: Off road vs On road Fuel