General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

'Nuther planned US diesel vehicle shot down....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 'Nuther planned US diesel vehicle shot down....

From today's issue of Autotech Daily

FORD WON’T BRING DIESEL-POWERED FOCUS TO U.S.

Cost issues have caused Ford Motor Co. to shelve plans to offer a diesel version of its Focus small car in the U.S., reports automotive News. Ford will continue to sell a dieselpowered Focus in Europe, where consumers are more willing to pay for the technology to offset higher fuel prices. Ford has been evaluating potential diesel applications for the U.S. for several years, and executives last year indicated the Focus might be a good starting point for passenger vehicles, even if volumes were small. But COO Jim Padilla now tells AN costs are too high to support a viable business case for a C-segment vehicle such as the Focus. The priciest Focus model, a four-door ZTS, sells for nearly $3,000 less than the diesel version of the Volkswagen Jetta in the U.S. Padilla also points out that adapting the European Focus for the U.S. will become more complicated and costly when more stringent domestic emissions standards are launched in 2007.
Ford still plans to add a diesel V-6 to its F-150 pickup and Expedition trucks later this decade. It formed a special North American diesel team last year to focus on such programs. The automaker currently offers a 6.0-liter compression-ignition engine supplied by Navistar in F-250 and F-350 Super Duty pickups.

Whether you like Ford or not, a US diesel passenger car would be a good thing.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:37 AM

it would if price, economy and performance = value!
I had a VW pick up truck [wheel barrow!] for one summer about twelve years ago.
It had a 4 cylinder diesel in it and I can only remember putting fuel in it once that summer! Not sure if mpg was that terrific or my memory is searchin in and out of OD.
Seriously, 50 plus mpg all the time haulin sheet metal air duct around the pocono mountains!In fact, given the cost of fuel, I think I better find another one. STY
Old 05-19-2004, 09:00 AM
Banned

Wonder when they will learn??
Old 05-19-2004, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It always PO ed me to see all this cool stuff in europe and different countries. Basically the same as here but in diesel or about 10 times the HP.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:17 AM

Anyone ever wonder if they don't bring that stuff here or offer us more alternative fuel vehicles because perhaps they have been influenced otherwise...?? The almighty dollar...
Old 05-19-2004, 10:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A couple of problems with importing European diesels right now:

1. The sulfur content in our fuel is still higher than Europe's, and will be until the 15 ppm limit gets phased in. Many of the European manufacturers are worried about longevity of their high performance diesels on US fuel.

2. US emissions target NOx and soot. European emissions target CO2 (Kyoto treaty and all). The diesel is much easier to emissions-certify in Europe.

Rusty
Old 05-20-2004, 07:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006/7 should the launch date for many new diesels for the US market because of the change over to ULSD. Rumor has it VW will be importing the Toureg with a 2.5L I5 CRD. It's a knock off of the 5.0L V10. So VW will have at least 4 diesels in their line up. 1.9L for the Golf and Jetta, 2.0L for the Passat and 2.5L/5.0L for the Toureg.
Chrysler can easily bring in diesels for the Caravan, PT Cruiser, Jeep Liberty and the Grand Cherokee since they are already being sold in Europe. Like wise for MB.
Toyota, Nissan and Isuzu already have diesels that can be imported once the new fuel is available.

MikeyB