General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Nissan Titan Light Duty Cummins Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan Titan Light Duty Cummins Diesel

It was announced today that Cummins in Columbus will make a lght duty diesel for the Nissan Titan. No real specifics yet, but look for them in the next couple days. I just wonder what Chrysler thinks about this.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:56 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Sounds like it might be a nice truck for the old lady.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's rumors flying around that the next Titan will be a rebadged 4th gen Dodge Ram.

MikeyB
Old 04-10-2008, 08:32 AM

Yup, Nissan has been dealing with Chrysler to get there pickups built. Chrysler is supposed to share platforms with Nissan on the "Upcoming Pickup Chassis" which to my knowledge only includes the 09 Ram 1500, I doubt they would share the Dakota platform seeing as how the Frontier is just as nice. The Titan just hasn't been able to prove its profitable for Nissan, so they get to use real truck parts now.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Need95-00CTD
Yup, Nissan has been dealing with Chrysler to get there pickups built. Chrysler is supposed to share platforms with Nissan on the "Upcoming Pickup Chassis" which to my knowledge only includes the 09 Ram 1500, I doubt they would share the Dakota platform seeing as how the Frontier is just as nice. The Titan just hasn't been able to prove its profitable for Nissan, so they get to use real truck parts now.
I thought Mitsubishi was using the dakota already, as the Raider?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am surprised that they are making all these new diesel cars and trucks when Diesel fuel is SOOOOO expensive!!! nobody is going to buy them...every one will drive gassers and fill them with 85 octane..
Old 04-10-2008, 11:39 AM

You mean 87? Think about it this way, $3 per gallon for gas gets you 25 miles, $4 per gallon for diesel gets you 45-50 miles... A car like the VW Jetta gasser is more expensive to drive than the TDi version, for fuel prices anyway. Of course then you have to factor in the initial investment, maintenance schedule, longevity... and so on.

But it still makes sense... for cars anyway.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:09 PM

You mean 87? Think about it this way, $3 per gallon for gas gets you 25 miles, $4 per gallon for diesel gets you 45-50 miles... A car like the VW Jetta gasser is more expensive to drive than the TDi version, for fuel prices anyway. Of course then you have to factor in the initial investment, maintenance schedule, longevity... and so on.

in many states, regular unleaded is 85 octane.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:00 PM

These engines are destined for light-duty Nissan commercial vehicles, not consumer pickups.
Andy Palmer, head of Nissan's global light commercial-vehicle business, said in an interview that Nissan's Titan full-size pickup line could receive a diesel engine from the Cummins engines developed for the new commercial vehicles. But nothing has ben announced.

"There's a market out there which has a need for diesel engines, so yes it is possible," Palmer said.

The new light commercial vehicle could come in the form of light buses, vans, taxi cabs, or delivery trucks. The vehicles would be under 8 tons gross vehicle weight, and will be built on all new platforms, developed from the ground up, Nissan spokesman Brian Brockman told Automotive News.
_________
Old 04-10-2008, 06:05 PM

http://fleetowner.com/equipment/niss...v_market_0410/
Old 04-10-2008, 11:36 PM

That used to be the case... Nowadays gasser technology has come a long way and you can get the same mileage out of an economical gasser car. Example: Honda Civic (non-hybrid), 31 mpg city, 40+ hwy. A diesel car ain't getting more than 30-35 city. The Civic and Jetta are the same size (same class).
Old 04-11-2008, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by chipmonk
in many states, regular unleaded is 85 octane.
The only place I've seen Rocky Mountain Purple (85 Oct), is, well the Rockies.

Nick
Old 04-11-2008, 12:58 AM

Well I have heard some rumors here at Cummins flying around about Chrysler and Nissan teaming up but I wasn't for sure anything was set in stone. Its looks as though Cummins is going to try and sell the light duty diesel to any auto manufacturer thats whats it in there truck...Who knows whats going to happen to the 6.7 cummins diesel....
Old 04-11-2008, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dieselnick
The only place I've seen Rocky Mountain Purple (85 Oct), is, well the Rockies.

Nick
i think utah, wyoming, and montana have 85 octane, as well as colorado.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
That used to be the case... Nowadays gasser technology has come a long way and you can get the same mileage out of an economical gasser car. Example: Honda Civic (non-hybrid), 31 mpg city, 40+ hwy. A diesel car ain't getting more than 30-35 city. The Civic and Jetta are the same size (same class).
The lowest city mileage for my VW New Beetle TDI has been 36.5 mpg. The Beetle is not as good as the Jetta for mileage. Jetta TDI's will regularly get low to mid 40's mpg in the city. I certainly don't drive mine for mileage either.

Go look at the mileage threads at TDIClub if you want to see crazy good mileage. Some of those guys are almost as bad as the hybrid driving hypermilers.

Quick Reply: Nissan Titan Light Duty Cummins Diesel