General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

New Debadging trick...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
New Debadging trick...

Mornin, DTR!

The other night, me and another member here were debadging his truck, and we had a tiny bit of adheasive left that the 3M eraser wheel would not take off... We tried WD40, water, re-3M-ing it.... nothin.

So my wife (who is as beautiful as she is intelligent...) says, "Here, use this..." It was a Mr Clean magic eraser. Worked like charm... just the ghost was left from the sun... no scratches or nothin!!

A-Maz-ING!!!

Looks like I'm the !!

HTH!
Old 07-03-2008, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like something my mom did at work. She knows very little about computers, one day at work they were having a meeting. People were saying their computers were running slow, she asked when they had defragged the hard drive last (taking scattered parts of programs and grouping them together to free up space). They all were like, whats that? So she showed them and now their computers run great.

So now the family joke is, my mom is the new IT person at work.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Those magic erasers do work good. Suprisingly, an old lady showed me another trick. She rubbed the sole of her plain white keds tinnys on a mark the we tried for weeks to get cleared off. The keds never blinked at the mark. So if your wife has some of the simple keds, try using the sole as an eraser. And if your a dude, and you have some of these keds, please don't tell us about it.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by charliez
And if your a dude, and you have some of these keds, please don't tell us about it.
What are keds?

Amen, brother... amen...
Old 07-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Keds are simple white tinny's that girls wear
Old 07-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

I know... it was my attempt to be macho... what ever that means...
Old 07-04-2008, 07:34 AM

madhat, you mention the ghost from the sun...are you talking the outline of sorts that still shows up at the right angle and in the right light of the removed badge? Any thoughts on how to get rid of that?....More wax maybe??
Old 07-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Moose, yes, that's what I'm talking about... how the paint around the badge has faded a little, and where the badge was is a little fresher...

This is my buddies truck, and it's black, so it shows really bad. We were going to get some fine polishing compound and polish it... starting with the tailgate. After that, we're going to wax the whole tailgate really good, then wash it and let it weather for a few days. Just to see what it does, that way, if it looks like crap, the whole truck does not look that way.

The next step would be to take it to a body shop hand have them work their magic...

Lemme know what you do, and how it turns out. When I do something, I'll let you know!
Old 07-04-2008, 03:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
YOu can get rid of that ghosting with some very mild rubbing compound.

I did it on my truck, and the De-badge turned out well. You can't tell there were ever badges installed at all.

jh
Old 07-04-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by charliez
Keds are simple white tinny's that girls wear
what's a"tinny"?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:38 PM

Ok, sounds like you and Hohn are on the right track with the compound. My truck is black too and the paint still looks great. I pulled the door badges last fall, and I've been away since January, so I think the area has had a good amount of time to weather....so mild compound it is once I get back.
I'll let you know if it helps

Originally Posted by madhat
Moose, yes, that's what I'm talking about... how the paint around the badge has faded a little, and where the badge was is a little fresher...

This is my buddies truck, and it's black, so it shows really bad. We were going to get some fine polishing compound and polish it... starting with the tailgate. After that, we're going to wax the whole tailgate really good, then wash it and let it weather for a few days. Just to see what it does, that way, if it looks like crap, the whole truck does not look that way.

The next step would be to take it to a body shop hand have them work their magic...

Lemme know what you do, and how it turns out. When I do something, I'll let you know!
Old 07-07-2008, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by johnh
what's a"tinny"?

Anything like a PF Flyer?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

The rubbing compound worked great! Can't see a thing.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:30 PM

I did the rubbing compound on my old truck and it was noticable that I had buffed it there (slt badge). So I left the other spots alone and within a couple months that paint had faded in... Did the same on my 07 and it looked fine within a short time.

Just a thought, don't freak out if it has some shadowing it usually goes away on it's own. These were new trucks though.
I think the paint under the badges just isn't cured yet since it hasn't been in the sun/air so there really isn't a reason to rub on it, I'd give it some time personally.. like 30-60 days like you would on new paint. Just remember if you buff the orange peel out of it in that one area it'll be noticable in the right light.

Also, I used 3m adhesive cleaner and rubbed it down well in a large area around where the badges were and had no problems with left over adhesive.

1)hair dryer
2)fishing line
3)soak those SOBs down in 3m adhesive cleaner
4)sore thumb rolling that stuff up
5)time needed... half hour+

Last edited by Rednecktastic; 07-08-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: additional stuff about curing paint
Old 07-08-2008, 03:18 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Not to hijack too much, but those Magic Erasers are awesome. My daughter (3yrs) wrote on the wall and some Berber carpet with a sharpie, my wife thought what the heck and tried the eraser...IT WORKED!

Last edited by steelblitzkrieg; 07-08-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: New Debadging trick...