General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

My cousin just bought an 06 Powerstroke...Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My cousin just bought an 06 Powerstroke...Questions?

He wants to borrow my BDDL to see if he likes it. I will have to turn mine back to stock though.

Anyway, my question is this, in order to use it, he will need a bigger air filter and possible exhaust mods. Will putting a muffler delete pipe on it work, or will it be really loud an annoying?

................Jim
Old 02-10-2007, 03:38 PM

I am confused. Your sig has only dodge in it. how would a bddl for a dodge work on a ford?
Old 02-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Chapter President

A Bully Dog "Triple" will work on Dodge Ferd and Cheby.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:39 PM

Will removing the muffler be too loud? I mean louder than a 2nd gen straight piped?

Could he tow with it in tow mode w/o any modifications?

.................Jim
Old 02-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Chapter President

I cant find it, but there is a post here with a link to a PSD straight piped. Though most here agreed it sounded like junk.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:48 PM

I think the 6.0L's sound like a freakin jet taking off!!! that's the only thing I ever liked about the 6.0's!! LOL I think he'd prolly like the sound of it, lots of whistle in the 6 liters, I think the first ones with the VG turbos were the loudest, but they all whistle pretty dang loud!! try it, it can always be changed later!! Dusty
Old 02-10-2007, 05:10 PM

I WOULD NOT recommend putting a BD on a 6.0 PSD. The only programmer IMO that is safe on a 6.0 is the SCT custom tuner.

Most tuners will make the 6.0 heads lift and puke coolant, especially when driven hard. You might want to wish him luck since he bought a 6.0....hopefully he doesn't have a lot of the problems that the 6.0 is notorious for.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Arkapigdiesel
I WOULD NOT recommend putting a BD on a 6.0 PSD. The only programmer IMO that is safe on a 6.0 is the SCT custom tuner.

Most tuners will make the 6.0 heads lift and puke coolant, especially when driven hard. You might want to wish him luck since he bought a 6.0....hopefully he doesn't have a lot of the problems that the 6.0 is notorious for.
Thanks for the info! He said he read somewhere that the SCT was the best for the 6.0, so maybe I won't have to let him use mine after all.

Does the 6.0 have a cat? If he leaves that on will it still be annoying?

......................Jim
Old 02-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Chapter President

All the 6 oh-no's I have heard with the exhaust mods have this weird flutter noise.....just makes me think of a large elephant that has bad gas. I too wish him luck, had...wait, the service truck I use at work had 5000ish miles on it and already had a left front wheel bearing chirping, now at 19,600 miles I find it has oil leaking on top of the engine and a wheel bearing chirping!! Can't wait to see what happens at 30,000 miles.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Banned

2004 F450 6.0--oil leaks (2)
EGR problems (1)
CEL (6)
runs terrible and is hard to start

2005 F450 6.0--oil leak (1)
EGR problems (1)
Runs terrible when cold

2006 F350 6.0--oil leaks
very hard to start when cold (~35)
CEL (5)
No problems with the EGR yet....

these are all emergency apparatus 04 24k miles, 05 14k, and 06 8k. these were my experience with the ford diesel and i will never own one.

they must have made him a heck of a deal...tell him good luck.

brett
Old 02-10-2007, 06:37 PM

Does the 6.0 have a cat? If he leaves that on will it still be annoying?
Yes it does. I don't understand what you're asking....are you asking will removing the cat be annoying? I would recommend removing the cat on a 6.0 because you will hear the turbo sing more. The only thing that I like about a 6.0 is the whistle that the turbo makes when the cat is removed. I'd also recommend getting the stock muffler off and replacing it with a high flow muffler.
All the 6 oh-no's I have heard with the exhaust mods have this weird flutter noise
That fluttering noise is due to the 6.0 not having a wastegate. When the accelerator is floored then let off of completely the excess air escapes back out of the intake pipe causing a loud flutterring noise. The noise isn't as pronounced on a stock air filter, but with an intake it's really loud.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That fluttering noise is compressor surge and that's what blows up turbos. I have noticed too that it's really bad on the 6.0's. They needed to put a larger turbo on them but everybody seems to be obsessed with turbo-lag now. Not that I care for powerstrokes at all but my friends 7.3 has no such problems with the turbo, that is when he can get it to start!
Old 02-10-2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Arkapigdiesel
Yes it does. I don't understand what you're asking....are you asking will removing the cat be annoying?

What I mean is, I installed a muffler delete pipe and kept the cat on my 06 Cummins, to combat the high EGTs when I run the BDTD on Crazy Larry. It works suprisingly well. So I was wondering if the 6.0 will benefit from a delete pipe and keep the cat.

He wants to tow heavy with it and get a performance module, so I told him what I had done..........BDTD, guages, intake, delete pipe, boost fooler.

He thinks he will be fine without any of the mods because he is..........well he's my cousin-in-law .

Just don't want to have him hold me up with a blown engine when our families go on quad riding vacations.

Sounds kinda self centered and all, but he is notorious for holding up the group with road-side repairs.

......Thanks for the responses guys .......Jim
Old 02-10-2007, 10:50 PM

i wouldnt do any mods to a 6.0. i would tell him to take it back or trade it in, if anyone will take it as a trade. you dont even want to here all the problems i had w/ mine. if you put any programer on it the heads will lift due to undersized headbolts. the injectors fail constantly, as well as the egr. and the variable turbo is garbage. if you guet rid of the cat, there will not be enough backpressure to properly operate that turbo and will lead to problems. sometimes you will get a engine light from removing the cat and sometimes you wont. dont run anything but the stock air filter otherwise the dealer will void the warranty on the turbo immediately. the turbos themselves fail constantly as well. my father in law has 8k on his 06 and has also had several problems and his is stock. wiring hrness caught fire at 3k, turbo went up at 5k, and now at 8k it droped a valve. when i traded mine in back in oct., it took me a while to find a dealership that would take it because of the 6.0s history. finaly i traded it but they wouldnt even give me kelly bluebook trade value because they already had several on the lot that they couldnt get rid because of all the problems. tell him to keep it completely stock for at least 20-30k until hes sure its not a lemon, but i would get rid of it now because all 6.0s are lemons. some just take longer than others to show it.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:29 PM

Well, I talked him out of the module, so he went and bought a 8" lift and 38" tires and wheels.

He's gonna tow a 33ft Raptor Toyhauler trailer, ......

Here we go again!

............Jim

Quick Reply: My cousin just bought an 06 Powerstroke...Questions?