General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Most Overpriced Vehicles - Dodge Ram Tops the List

Old 01-04-2008, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most Overpriced Vehicles - Dodge Ram Tops the List

Go shopping for a Dodge Ram, and you may find a $4,500 factory incentive awaits. On top of that, it's likely a dealer will give you an all-smiles, deep-discount price that's lower by thousands more.

Despite these inducements, Rams are languishing on lots. Nationwide dealers reported a 117-day inventory as of Nov. 1, according to Automotive News. Jonathan Banks, senior director of the Automotive Leasing Guide-affiliated ALG Consulting Group, says that excess dealer inventory is a leading indicator that it's time not just for more incentives but possibly a price cut.

Good thing, because the Dodge Ram is among the most egregiously overpriced cars in the U.S. Rounding out the top five: the Mercury Grand Marquis, Ford's F-150, the Dodge Durango and the GMC Envoy.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...vBJVS8kqu7YWsA
Old 01-04-2008, 10:57 AM

Not disagreeing about overpricing, I think all cars/trucks are overpriced for what we get anymore... but when I purchased my Ram in Dec '06, it was thousands less (sticker) than both the Ford and Chevy equivalent..... and on top of that - Dodge had better incentives and were more willing to deal... that is just from my personal experience and not trying to generalize....
Old 01-04-2008, 11:04 AM

When I bought mine last July I got $11,000 off MSRP it came out to be $36,100 before tax and lic. I was even considering the Duramax but Dodge gave me the better deal.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Dang, I have 2 of the top five. Wife has a GMC Envoy LT. Explains why I'm always broke
Old 01-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, there goes my idea of buying a Grand Marquis for retirement.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Truckman0097
Not disagreeing about overpricing, I think all cars/trucks are overpriced for what we get anymore... but when I purchased my Ram in Dec '06, it was thousands less (sticker) than both the Ford and Chevy equivalent..... and on top of that - Dodge had better incentives and were more willing to deal... that is just from my personal experience and not trying to generalize....

Generally - you're paying much more these days for safety and emsission-related features, these "goverment mandated" devices, than what it used to be in new veichles. It's frustrating to think, but there's some very heavy $$$$ being spent to make things "green." All the while decreasing fuel economy and raising the cost.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by 96_12V
Generally - you're paying much more these days for safety and emsission-related features, these "goverment mandated" devices, than what it used to be in new veichles. It's frustrating to think, but there's some very heavy $$$$ being spent to make things "green." All the while decreasing fuel economy and raising the cost.
look at the surcharge on the sticker of new ctd's for all the new emmision compliance plumbing.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by 96_12V
I am not arguing that at all....
Old 01-04-2008, 01:19 PM

are we talking 1/2 ton or all rams including 3/4 and 1 ton?
Old 01-04-2008, 03:09 PM

I think its thier Marketing scheme. Sticker it for $40k with the intention of only getting 30-35K for it. Customer walks out the door happy thinking he really sucked the dealership out of money, and the dealership sells a vehicle. And if for some reason they get someone to go in and buy one for full sticker price, the dealership is even happier.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieseldude4x4

I thought Grand Marnier was a drink?
Old 01-04-2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dieseldude4x4
I don't get it. The Grand Marquis is over priced? You can pick up a brand new Grand Marquis LS for $18,000. You can also pick up one that is loaded with leather for $24,000. It is the only V8 rear wheel drive car out there that is still body on frame construction. I think I should know about those cars because I own two of them right now. I got rid of another 4 years ago. Both my brothers own one apeice too. That is four of those cars between three of us. If you are looking for a used Grand Marquis the price has been going up a little lately because they are shipping all of the used ones over seas to the arib countries. But you can buy a used Lincoln Town car for cheaper than a Grand Marquis. The people that wrote the article are ate up. I went to the Dodge dealership three months ago and could pick up a Hemi 1/2 ton 4 door 4x4 truck for $24,000 and that was well equiped brand new. Ford still wanted 8 thousand more for theirs.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:29 PM

No, no... What they are saying it's overpriced.... Not that you can't get it for the right price.

They knocked 23% off the MSRP for me... Because MSRP is too high.

They said the good thing about this is the residual value down the road will be good in relation to what you paid for it. The bad thing is, some people paid too much for their truck.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bhaugen
I think its thier Marketing scheme. Sticker it for $40k with the intention of only getting 30-35K for it. Customer walks out the door happy thinking he really sucked the dealership out of money, and the dealership sells a vehicle. And if for some reason they get someone to go in and buy one for full sticker price, the dealership is even happier.
BINGO.....
Old 01-04-2008, 07:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You forgot....... WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Most Overpriced Vehicles - Dodge Ram Tops the List