General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Misuse of their truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Abuse of their truck?

I was curious if any other members here have "abused " their truck.

I bought my first CTD a 98.5 dually extended cab in 2002 to pull a car trailer. The car being trailered was a 1965 Shelby Cobra replica that I was in the slow process of building part by part.

By 2003 I purchased a fifth wheel camper (35 feeter with a slideout) to pull because the car trailer was not enough for my CTD. I then installed a new air cleaner, mild chip, and performance exhaust.

I then found this site and bought a new trailer.

By 2004 I had installed gauges, turbo timer, a scotty air cleaner, better oils, better filters, performance fuel injectors, new tow mirrors, and ranch hand bumper.

Early 2005 I sold my 98.5 bought my current truck. So far Rhino lining, full length step tubes, cummins mud flaps, turbo timer, a stainless steel brush guard, off road lights, and now I just ordered the juice with attitude and a scotty 5.

My dream car and play toy, the poor cobra, was the very reason I bought my first CTD. It just sits in my garage collecting dust just happy with the few dollars a year I spend on it and the few hours a year I spend working on it while I blow fistfuls of money and time on my "working" truck.

I was just wondering if anyone has "abused" their truck like I?

James
Old 01-14-2006, 08:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess im not really following you on the "misused" part. To me that sounds like you are saying you are "ABUSING" your truck. And, based on what you wrote I don't think you are doing that. Your truck has become your hobby. Nothing wrong with that.

I bought an ATV about 3 years ago. Brother in law talked me into it so I could go ride with him. Well, that led into getting a travel trailer so I could go camping while ATVing. Next thing you know, I am more into the camping than the ATVing. So I started taking camping trips that didn't involve ATVing at times. But I was pulling my camper with a Z-71 Chevy. Underpowered and overloaded. So I got my Cummins. Now I am more into my truck than the camping or the ATVing. I like them all, don't get me wrong.
But I definately spend more time and money now on the truck than the other things combined.

These trucks and this website can definately be addictive.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:42 PM

yeah that's it.... Thanks
Old 01-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Banned

By abuse I assume you mean using your truck for things more than it was intended for. I regularly pull 18-20,000 pound trailers with my SRW. Makes it even worse that I have pretty well fried my South Bend Clutch pulling them through the muddy fields. Wanna smell a clutch burn, back this 36' flatbed loaded across a muddy pasture and try to thread the needle through the gate. I've had it smokin a few times by the time I was done. Until a couple of years ago when I finally let my grip lose on a few dollars for a tractor, this truck was my tractor. I have spread my bed apart with round bales, plowed a 5 acre patch with a 4 bottom plow and pulled more fence posts than I could count. Yes I am ashamed to admit that I am an abusive person. That's why I got the Cummins Diesel and not some little generic pretend to be a truck.
Forgot the funniest one. Used my truck to pull my tractor out of the pond. The bank gave away and the rear tires went down the bank into the pond when I was by myself, so I thought. Hooked the truck up to it, put the tractor in gear so the wheels would spin, started pulling with the truck. Sucked it right out after a little hoppin around. Next problem, a rolling tractor on the end of a 20' chain attached to the truck with me in it. Put the truck in nuetral, set the brake and ran for all I was worth in cowboy boots, through the slick mud and jumped on the tractor and got it out of gear and stopped about an inch shy of my tailgate. I was so releived I just put my head down on the steering wheel to catch my breath. When I looked up the gal next door was standing across the fence laughin so hard she had to lean on the fence to stand up.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:08 PM

I have the same problem. I bought a brand new 97 GMC Sonoma back in 97 and put tons of money into it, it has Air bag suspension, 20 inch wheels, removeable hardtop, tons of body work, whole different front end, and a 400 small block. and I bought my Dodge to tow the Sonoma around when I move here or there and it was going to be my daily driver. well now the Sonoma sits in a storage room and I have dumped a bunch of money into my dodge. I go by the storage room once a month and warm up the engine and apologize to my sonoma for niglecting it and reassure it that someday it will be restored back to its previous glory throwing sparks
Old 01-15-2006, 10:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My 3500 pulls a 26k load of apples 18 hours a day 7 days a week for five months then gets parked outside and not started for the rest of the year unless it's in the way.
The gooseneck trailer has only been disconnected a handful of times and the truck has never been washed in 225k. The only engine problem has been a frayed throttle cable.
Is this abuse?
Old 01-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Banned

Nope. When I look at my truck I look at it like an artist looking at a blank canvas. I use my truck as a learning tool. I use it as a chance to make a master piece. Nah, I don't abuse it. I just build it how I want it.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Nope. When I look at my truck I look at it like an artist looking at a blank canvas. I use my truck as a learning tool. I use it as a chance to make a master piece. Nah, I don't abuse it. I just build it how I want it.
And that right there in bold and underlined IS NO LIE!!!! many nights of doin something to that thing.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Abuse is a word I have thought to myself a few times. My truck started out as a 2500 srw pickup. It has over time been turned into a drw with a utility body on it. I use it for work in my construction company. Once one of my employees got the skidsteer stuck at the edge of a wall that was never backfilled properly by another contractor who was thrown off the job. By the time I got there, the machine was in the mud up over the tires on the left side. Two Ford F150's were hooked to it, and there was little progress being made. Told everyone involved to unhook from it.
Mind you I was hooked to the trailer with some attachments for the skidsteer and 2 pallets of block.
Pulled up to the skidsteer, hooked a cable to the plow frame on the truck, 4LO, put a qualified guy in the skidsteer, and walked the machine out.
Abuse, no, just another day in my little corner of the world.
Rich
Old 01-16-2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
My 3500 pulls a 26k load of apples 18 hours a day 7 days a week for five months then gets parked outside and not started for the rest of the year unless it's in the way.
The gooseneck trailer has only been disconnected a handful of times and the truck has never been washed in 225k. The only engine problem has been a frayed throttle cable.
Is this abuse?
Sounds like what the "Cummins" was built for
Old 01-16-2006, 07:41 PM

Well, based upon my knowledge the only few ways to abuse a Cummins is to fire it up cold and run the heck clean out of it before it really gets oil pressure. Also, extremely high EGT's can also do a number on her too. I dont really baby mine or run the crap out of it. Unless I'm going to get passed by a beer can rice burner.
Wheelo
Old 01-17-2006, 02:07 PM

I tried a 3rd gear launch off a stop light the other day. I'd say that was "abusive".
Old 05-15-2006, 03:21 AM

i took a plasma cutter to every factory suspension bracket and mount on the frame and built my own stuff. we pulled trees out of my back yard with it too...i think the truck considers it all a good workout instead of abuse.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought an '05 hemi magnum new. A month or so later, I bought my '98 dually with 226k on it. It took maybe a week or two, and the magnum was pretty much parked for good. I mean, it literally would not even get started for weeks. One time, it sat long enough that the battery almost would not start the car when I finally did get in it. This on a car with 1200-some odd miles on it. I finally sold it to a buddy's mom just to get it out of the way and get rid of the payment.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by 99 cummins
plowed a 5 acre patch with a 4 bottom plow

Would love to see some pics!!!

Quick Reply: Misuse of their truck?