General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Maybe I'm nuts

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I'm nuts

Hi guys, Am I crazy or would it be cool to have a older Muscle car, Like the 71 Cuda i've been drooling over owning for a few years, powered by a Cummin's 5.9? Does anyone happen to know of anyone or an link/website, with someone talking about adapting a older muscle car in this style? I realy want a older muscle car, that has power, and yet gets decent mileage, sounds like the perfect spot for a cummins eh?
I got the ok from the Wife to trade in her v6 stratus, so I guess as soon as I get that done and have a nice new Dodge Quad cab Diesel 4x4, .. I'll work on finding a wrecked dodge pickup so I can steal all the parts i need. Then the hard part... finding the Cuda I want.. that isnt demolished, and doesnt have a "500HP BLOWN engine" installed.
It would be great if anyone knew about some conversion kit hidden away somewhere on the net, but i dont expect it. Oh well.. i have access enough to the tools I will need ( i think) to design and engineer and build my own conversion kit... maybe someone else might be interested in building the project after me?? I know someone out there loves old muscle cars too.
I'll be reasonable and set a 5 month time line for getting started (should have the 100k incoming in my bank by then too) no since getting in a rush and messing up.

1 Week and Im done with IRAQ !!!! woot im excited.. cant wait... neither can my wife...

Dangousity
Old 12-14-2005, 02:26 AM

Motor might be a little deep for the car. I had to take my 7qt oil pan off of a crate 360 when I put it in a Challenger (Cuda Cousin) and I get a feeling just looking at my Cummins that it's deeper than that. Would be really interesting idea, though..
Old 12-14-2005, 04:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think that would be difficult to do, if for no other reason the weight. The Cummins block weighs about 1000lbs. It would take some major beefing up on a car's suspension to hold that kind of weight. And, that doesn't even mention the lack of room for the engine and intercooler. I think it is worth putting some thought into, but not sure it would practical given the limitations.

However, what about taking something like a old chevy or ford pickup from the 50's or 60's and putting a Cummins in that?

How would you like to own a bombed 600hp Cummins powered 66 Chevy Truck?
Old 12-14-2005, 06:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
box raise the hood and put some MAJOR springs on the front end. It might be cool. Have to pick the right model though. You'd need a long front end to be sure you could move the engine far enough back to keep the weight balanced right. I had a '69 stang that I put a 427 in, had to move the original battery to the trunk and add a second one to keep the rear from sliding.
Just think with all that torque you could gear it right and get one hell of a long hole shot
Old 12-14-2005, 07:19 AM
Registered

your not crazy. i want to put a 800 hp 12 v in a 72 chevy swb pickup
Old 12-14-2005, 07:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You are nuts! The Cummins in the Cuda idea is fine, but being in Iraq is crazy!

Personally I think the front end of a Cuda is built too light for a heavy CTD, but I'm no engineer. Good luck if you attempt it.

Welcome home! (a little early)
Old 12-14-2005, 08:04 AM

If you want to put a Cummins in a clasic, make it a clasic truck.

P.S. Your nuts.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Chapter President

You should have a chat with Begle1, he wants to put one in a Germlin.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Holsteinman
You should have a chat with Begle1, he wants to put one in a Germlin.
I almost forgot about that. Well, Begal will be along shortly to tell us all how he is gonna do it, how it will work, and that WE are all nuts.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Banned

a cummins in a pinto...ill do it...who wants to be my money source for the redneck R&D department...come on...the motor only weighs as much at the car
Old 12-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I used to have a '70 440 6 pack Cuda.
The big block made going around turns an interesting experience as there was virtually NO WEIGHT on the rear end of the car.
I can only imagine a 5.9 Cummins up front.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Banned

Why would you ruin a classic like a 71 Cuda by putting a cummins under the hood? Leave the gassers in the cars. Now, a 55 Chevy pickup with a twinned Cummins under the hood, that would be freaking awesome.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:48 PM

I was thinking it would be kinda fun to put a Cummins in an older long nose type Rolls Royce or a sedan delivery. Or maybe a business coupe. Call me crazy.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
a cummins in a pinto...ill do it...who wants to be my money source for the redneck R&D department...come on...the motor only weighs as much at the car
haha maybe a 4BT could be shoehorned in. You're as demented as I am.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:50 PM

I had the same idea, but I was thinking of using an early to mid-60's Lincoln Towncar.

Quick Reply: Maybe I'm nuts