General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

looking at a diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking at a diesel

I am looking into buying a 12 valve 94-98.5 dodge 2500. I was wondering if there are any problematic areas that I should be looking at on these trucks. The ones that I have looked at so far had door problems (like the latch assembly being welded back together and the door dropping a noticeable height when opening the door). Are there any problems with the front ends on the 4x4's that I should look for? I know that it would be best to get my hands on the records and see how well kept the truck has been but I don't know how likely this will be. What about the timing, is there any easy way to tell if its off by a few degrees and if it has been advanced a degree or 2 does that increase the power like in the PSD's?

Also, does anyone know the height measurements for anything hanging below the frame (I will be using the truck as my hunting rig, takes me about 2 hours to drive to my place and I do occassionaly need to haul some pipe or a small tractor). Lastly, where there any 4x4 options that would give me some good skid plates.

Any and all help appreciated
Old 10-16-2005, 07:54 PM

Well on a PSD from 04-now are electronic. like the 24v cummins KIND OF. I mean the yare a totally diffrent beast all together. But no. Other than running like crap theres no way to tell the timming without getting in there and checking it. Unless someone knows a trick i dont
Old 10-16-2005, 08:09 PM

The PSD that I was talking about was the 97-94.5 7.3L, I don't know anything about the 6.0L other than to stay away from them.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:20 PM

I appologize for the typo the 94 on up ford diesel is electronic. And as before, are diffrent engines all together. Complete diffrent fuel system and all. They have a HEUI fuel injection. Basically they used engine oil to fire the injectors. But, They are pretty good diesels. I have a 95. pulls strong, 17-18mpg, and if you get a 96.5 or newer ford you can get a crew cab if thats something your interested in. You get the fun lil plug and go power boxes.

Now, the powerstroke wont make as much power as the cummins of those years. But there are many cheep mods that you can do to up the power. I put one on my truck, fully adjustable built it from wal mart. cost 4 bucks. nice deal
Old 10-16-2005, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by taildragger
I am looking into buying a 12 valve 94-98.5 dodge 2500. I was wondering if there are any problematic areas that I should be looking at on these trucks. The ones that I have looked at so far had door problems (like the latch assembly being welded back together and the door dropping a noticeable height when opening the door). Are there any problems with the front ends on the 4x4's that I should look for? I know that it would be best to get my hands on the records and see how well kept the truck has been but I don't know how likely this will be. What about the timing, is there any easy way to tell if its off by a few degrees and if it has been advanced a degree or 2 does that increase the power like in the PSD's?

Also, does anyone know the height measurements for anything hanging below the frame (I will be using the truck as my hunting rig, takes me about 2 hours to drive to my place and I do occassionaly need to haul some pipe or a small tractor). Lastly, where there any 4x4 options that would give me some good skid plates.

Any and all help appreciated
KDP

is your main issue, most ppl dont know about it, so kill it asap... Problems? trackbar is a common one, and for ur 4x4 options, Posi lock it and forget it, i dont trust the OEM vacuum actuator. Most of thse trucks already have a decent skid plate on the T case, and a lil one protecting the vacuum actuator. U pretty much got the probs for a 12V down..

Anyways, bout timing, yes it is beneficial, yet its hard to tell if it has been messed with, in most cases it has slipped.

I have a 96, no serious issues other than my PCM.. and its pretty good off the beaten path even with stock limited slips good choice in a rig.... u will be pleased

Tx
Old 10-16-2005, 09:17 PM

get kdp out of there if still in there
Old 10-16-2005, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beamwalker
get kdp out of there if still in there
U dont remove it,

it is used to keep the internals aligned when placing engine in truck. U just tab it with the TST kit (easy procedure i might add) and let it be...

Tx