General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

John Deere 5510 Vs Case 5250

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Deere 5510 Vs Case 5250

Hello forum,

My dad bought a used Case Maxxum 5250 tractor from an auction that was setup to run in orchards, fatter rear tire, fenders, and no top cab. BTW thing has a 5.9 Cummins with I believe a VE pump? Its not the P7100 type, but anyway on start up it smokes black, when you apply the throttle it smokes black soot depending on gear and load put behind it.

Question is, how come the John deere feels like it has instant power, you push the throttle and it goes. However not the case with the Maxxum 5250, you push the throttle and it doesnt really start pulling till the rpms hit around 1500. BTW the TUrbo sound on the John deere is more noticable then the maxxum, sounds like its not there.

Anyway just wanting to know why does the John deere feel like it has instantanous power while the Case doesnt start pulling hard untill the rpms get close or above 1500rpm?
Old 02-09-2005, 04:46 PM

I sounds live you have a bad Turbo, I have driven both IH, and John deere, and I never thought the IH was Doggie off the Jump!!! It really sounds like you have a prob,?
Old 02-09-2005, 07:04 PM

For starters, A 5510 is a 4 cylinder with ~270 cubic inches. The Case is a 6 cylinder with the magical 359 cu in engine in it, but you already knew that.

I'll throw this out here too...is the Deere turbo wastegated where the Case isn't? i don't have either one of these tractors on the lot to go look at, but I'll have a 5250 Case in a week or two (just traded in, real nice, 1900 hrs ).

BTW, The Case is the 115hp version, right. A 5510 is lucky to have 75-80.

Kinda like comparing apples to oranges in the tractor world
Chris
Old 02-09-2005, 09:25 PM

Yeah 89HP for the deere, And 113 or 120+Hp for the Case, but the torque is probably a ton more. I checked both last time I was at the ranch ( 112miles away ) And both of them do not have a wastegated turbo.

If the turbo is bad, could it be that the tractor, when used by previous owner did not properly cool the engine down before shutoff and could have baked the seals in the turbo, causing the oil to be drawn into the intake or into the exhaust?

If we replace the turbo, would a HX40, the ones used on 8.3's be any good? Or not really suited for long hours of discing through a field, should I just replace it with a stock one?

BTW, how much did you pay for the Case? I just cant get over how much difference the weight is between the two tractors, one is aorund 7000 and the case is 12K
Old 02-09-2005, 11:58 PM

Sounds like definate turbo problems, likley it's dumping more fuel in to try and make up for the lack of air--thereby double punishing itself. The 5250's really were not meant for much more load than thier stock rating, I would stick with a stock turbo unit myself. If it had the P-7100 pump you could think about it, but really wouldn't gain that much. I recall the Mx-series tractors, the later model maxxums, (rear-hinged hood units) may have the P-7100 in their upper rated models. Until then they were all the VE pump units if my memeory serves me.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:26 PM

Yeah, use a stock turbo, or have that one rebuilt.

Does the Case smoke excessivly (sp?). Put a load behind it, bush hog, something to work it a little, and see if it smokes bad.

That will let you tell a little better if the turbo is bad.

Chris
Old 02-10-2005, 03:02 PM
JKM

What makes you guys think the turbo is shot? There are loads of 5250's 5240's , 5140's and 5130's around here ,and i have YET to be able to hear the turbo on one?

Dad has a 5120 (4BT, not 6) and you can't hear the turbo on that either?
Old 02-10-2005, 03:44 PM

Yeah I'll try that This Saturday, Maybe put a spray behind it and see what it does, or maybe a rigger, see if it smokes. Also When I drove it last weekend, the turbo whine was not there, non at all. John deere on the otherhand had a good turbo whine when you go WOT through the gears, while the Case just sounds like a turboless ford backhoe.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, you must have one gigantic bush hog if you are going to "work" a 120 h.p tractor with it!!!

I always thought all those tractors used the VE pump???

Old 02-10-2005, 04:40 PM

Sorry, didn't realize you were running unloaded. You need to load it down, like with a field cultivator at least to see if you're getting smoke. You may not always hear the turbo--really depends upon it's design if you'll hear it. (Re 6.0 powerstroke verses trubo noise on a 24V Cummins).
Old 02-10-2005, 07:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Barely hear the turbo spool up in our 5250 even with an 18 foot disc, doubt if an mower or airblast sprayer will do much either. Can hear it spin at shutdown though.
On our JD 5520 (90hp) you can hear the turbo all the time, especially when revving up and down, but the turbo in it is tiny, my bet is 10cm or smaller.

Your new Case probably just needs to go out and do some hard work. Orchard tractors rarely get the workout they need and will smoke till the buildup is burned up. Our orchard tractors used to get real smokey during harvest time, just idling around moving bins isn't enough work for them. About once a week hook them up to the airblast to clean them out.
JD dealer used to get a lot of easy business with the same complaint during harvest, their fix was to hook them up to a pto dyno and charge a $100.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:23 PM

LOL, wow thats a good way of cleaning the system up.

Last summer we took out about 12 acres of walnuts, I dont know the name of them but their a good 40ft tall, huge suckers. Anyway we have a ripper and my dad wants to use the case tractor to pull it through the clear, just to get all the roots out if any are left in. Maybe that can give the tractor a workout

Also the case smokes upon start up, and revving in neutral or accelerating through the gears. If I took the silencer ring out, then would I be able to hear the **** turbo?
Old 02-10-2005, 10:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If I took the silencer ring out, then would I be able to hear the **** turbo?
Never really looked close but think the silencer ring is a Dodge only thing.

Ripping might be a workout except that you have to drive slow, try to go fast and catch a big root, stump, rock, pipe, etc, you'll fly over the steering wheel and end up on the hood with a broken ripper shank.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:52 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally posted by infidel
Never really looked close but think the silencer ring is a Dodge only thing.

Ripping might be a workout except that you have to drive slow, try to go fast and catch a big root, stump, rock, pipe, etc, you'll fly over the steering wheel and end up on the hood with a broken ripper shank.
Are you speeking from expierience there Bill ?
Old 02-11-2005, 08:35 AM

If you only feel it coming on at 1500 you may also want to check your trans. Filters. That tractor should be ready from idle. I own one, and it is awesome. Sometimes the filters get a bit of buildup in the screens, and there are alot of screens to deal with that some people never clean. So check that as well.

Quick Reply: John Deere 5510 Vs Case 5250