General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Jetta TDI

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Jetta TDI

Im gunna move down to Oregon for school and I am thinking about leaving my truck here (Alaska) and buying another vehicle down there for the winter. I was thinking about getting this http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/2036784101.html what can i look for with these jettas. Also what would be a fair price for that car?
Old 11-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My friend drove one......said it was the worst vehicle in a minor collision she has ever had......would and did not buy another one.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:13 PM

timing belt due at 40km for auto trans i believe 60k for manual trans. glow plugs go bad often. oil pans are low and see lots of people take the pan out on rough roads. Imo people think tdi cars are worth about 2x as much as they actually are.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I have an 01 Jetta, it's the 1.8T gas engine though. I have worked on several of these cars and I am very happy with mine. I think a TDI would be a great choice too.

Beware of the timing belt replacement interval though. I think that car calls for a belt every 60k miles (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If the seller can't prove that it was done, I would know I need to do it as soon as I buy the car for my own piece-of-mind. That TDI would be hugely expensive to fix if the belt breaks.

I think it's every bit as durable as any comparable small car, with better handling and braking, many options you won't see on other brands, and the most comfortable seats around.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:43 PM

i got my wife a jetta 2.slow and its one sweet little ride. i love the thing. i have been known to drive it in place of my cummins every now and then but shhhhh nobody can know. i will only admit that on dtr
Old 11-03-2010, 12:37 AM

Thanks for all the input.
only on dtr!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friend owned a 2003 TDI one of the best vehicles he ever owned. I drove the car lots as did my G/F, it was reliable, excellant fuel milage and we drove it on ice, in snow, down muddy roads, highway. It always got us to where we needed to go.
Good choice in a vehilce.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:38 AM

My girlfriend had a 03 bug which needed a new tranny at 40,000 miles. She decided to trade it in on a 07 Jetta. So far we have been in the service dept multiple times. I am glad she got the warranty. We have taken it to two dealers in an attempt to get the issues resolved that the first dealer could not fix.

-Low tire gauge keeps coming on-Dealer can not find the issue.
-Popping Headlight-Have to buy new headlights every other month because they keep popping-Once again the dealer can not find the issue.
-Radio died-Had it replaced
-Sat receiver died-Had it replaced
-Direction **** for the heater is backwards. If it's on defrost it's really on your feet and vice versa. You have to replace the entire set of ***** to fix this.
-Rear center console fell apart-Dealer fixed

Maybe we just have a trouble car but so far I am not impressed with our Volkswagen.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:49 AM

sounds like a lemon to me... we have put thousands of miles on ours and the only thing i have done was change the oil. other than that it goes and goes and goes. 30mpg with enough camping supplies in the back for 2 weeks haha
Old 11-03-2010, 11:54 AM

I am kinda thinking the same thing that it is a lemon. I do agree on the mileage 30+ also. We plan on keeping it until the warranty is up.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I've got an 02 (ALH motor) Jetta TDI, has 125k on it. Timing belt, 100k with genuine parts. I have the 5 spd too, maybe less with auto. I haven't had less than 40 mpg, that's with a/c on and driving like I stole it. Highest was something like 54 mpg, going steady 50-60 for several hours. It has it's issues, stupid things though nothing super serious. I've had problems with:
Intake manifold clogged, fixed with egr delete and crank vent altering
MAF sensor
Turbo vane actuator
A few glow plugs
Fuel filter
Just developed a small exhaust leak
Devours rear run/tail/stop lights like it's nobody's business.

Thats it. There are a few other little things that broke inside, but sheet happens, like the latch for the center console and a radio **** broke off. JB weld fixed both. We've put almost 80k on it, the brakes are still good. Overall I would buy another one, maybe not a newer one though. I'm not a big fan of the "technological improvements" made over the last few years, and the ALH models are really pretty simple.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
One thing I know for certain about the TDI is if you don't jump on buying a used one right away someone else will get it.
They are in high demand from the folks making their own biodiesel and running waste veggie oil.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:03 PM

can any one think of any other cars that have a good rep. it need to get good gas/diesel milage and cost under about 10,000
Old 11-08-2010, 07:37 PM

I have an 06 tdi with a manual and it just turned 109,000 miles. The only issue was the dang battery for the door locks on the keychain died. 2.00 dollars later and shes perfect. This car has never gotten worse than 40 mpg. Best of 48.7. The timing belt needs to be replaced at 80,000 on these cars. The water pump on mine has a plastic impellor as well. WHen you change the belt, easy fix to do the water pump at the same time and the pulley. 250 on ebay for a pulley, belt, and water pump with steel impellor. Anyways, this has been the best vehicle I have every owned and I hope someone never hits this car in an accident. Cant replace it. 10,000 mile oil changes, and every 80,000 for the timing belt and it is good to go. I hear bad things but I have never seen it. I have owned since new.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:11 PM

You need to check out http://www.tdiclub.com/

We have a 2006 Jetta TDI and love it, it handles great, gets low 40's in mileage. It now has 70,000.

Quick Reply: Jetta TDI