General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Interesting comment on diesel fuel and injection pumps...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 10:53 PM
HC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Interesting comment on diesel fuel and injection pumps...

I don't have proof or references at my fingertips, but I remember reading that there are &quot;secondary&quot; issues with using two-stroke oil. Unwanted deposits on injectors, if I recall correctly...<br>I believe Chevron has a web site that addresses this issue, or look at the FAQ's on the Cummins page.<br>Stanadyne lubricity formula costs me only ~3 cents per treated gallon; it's designed specifically for this purpose and is one of the best for lubricity, if not the best. They don't advertise an MPG gain, but I think there is one, so true cost per gallon is probably even lower.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:11 AM

I'll keep checking but I should point out that 2 stroke oil is used in fuel injected outboards.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:21 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Raften: Fuel injectet gassers do not inject directly into the cylinder- meaning that the injector stays cool. The Diesel's injector will get very hot, so oil will burn up on the tip. Modern 2 stroke oils are formulated to burn ashless (or as close as possible) and complete for environmental reasons (over here of course)<br>We had good success in doting low sulfur diesel with about 10-20% of biodiesel. This increased lubricity and raised cetane about 3 points. This stuff burns clean and can be used up to 100% to fuel the Cummins (my personal experience from running it). It has about 10% less energy per gallon, resulting in a very slight drop in fuel mileage which is sometimes more than compensated by the effectively earlier timing caused by the higher cetane number.<br><br>Just my 2c<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 05-14-2003, 12:26 PM

Thanks Alpine, did not know that about gassers.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:44 PM

Gentlemen -<br><br>Not to confuse this issue, but most all GOOD two-stroke oils are synthetic, and designed to mix and burn completely with little or no deposits. (carbon) I race vintage mx on my two stroke husky &amp; penton. I pull the engines apart twice a season, with no signs of deposit. I would imangine it burns the same way in a diesel. Though I have never used it in my truck, I think I will give it a try if it can help the pump, (#2) to survive. I don't know if the outboard two stroke stuff is formulated the same way or not, but guess it would be to prevent fouling &amp; smoking.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:09 PM
Banned

I just put Stanadyne in my truck and I LOST FP. What's the deal? I used to get a solid 16.6-18 (depending on temp) at idle. Now I'm lucky to get 16. Ever since I went on a road trip, I've gotten less FP. Maybe it's time for a new filter?
Old 05-14-2003, 11:17 PM

[quote author=BigBlue link=board=8;threadid=14654;start=15#138306 date=1052971747]<br>I just put Stanadyne in my truck and I LOST FP. What's the deal? I used to get a solid 16.6-18 (depending on temp) at idle. Now I'm lucky to get 16. Ever since I went on a road trip, I've gotten less FP. Maybe it's time for a new filter?<br>[/quote]<br><br>I don't think it was the Stanadyne... I have never seen a drop in FP from anything but my bad lift pump...
Old 05-14-2003, 11:21 PM
Banned

I've got a Holley Black on mine. Not worried bout it ;D. I've been over and around and through that pump so many times that if it does break, I can fix it. I think I'll change the filter and see what happens. The weather has also been warmer so I'm wondering if the diesel isn't getting a tad bit thinner.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:22 AM

Might be the Holley. I've heard the Bushings go bad on 'em.<br><br>Maybe it's another brand pump ?<br><br>Merrick Cummings Jr
Old 05-15-2003, 03:38 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

[quote author=FMF MX link=board=8;threadid=14654;start=15#138102 date=1052937841]<br>Gentlemen -<br><br>Not to confuse this issue, but most all GOOD two-stroke oils are synthetic, and designed to mix and burn completely with little or no deposits. (carbon) I race vintage mx on my two stroke husky &amp; penton. I pull the engines apart twice a season, with no signs of deposit. I would imangine it burns the same way in a diesel. Though I have never used it in my truck, I think I will give it a try if it can help the pump, (#2) to survive. I don't know if the outboard two stroke stuff is formulated the same way or not, but guess it would be to prevent fouling &amp; smoking. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Don't remember all the details, but marine 2 cycle is different. Husqvarna warns that marine oil will void their warranty.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:39 AM
Banned

[quote author=MCummings link=board=8;threadid=14654;start=15#138325 date=1052976163]<br>Might be the Holley. I've heard the Bushings go bad on 'em.<br><br>Maybe it's another brand pump ?<br><br>Merrick Cummings Jr<br>[/quote]<br><br>Nah. It's a Holley for sure. I'm going to change the filter and see if that helps. I'm wondering if the air temp has anything to do with it. Since it's much warmer now (in the 90's), the fuel might be thinner. I know I have higher pressure when I first fire it up in the morning. If the bushings go bad, I'm sending it back to Holley or something and getting it worked on. They know I've had problems with it.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:50 AM

I find this a very interesting thread.. and it makes a lot of since with the lower sulfur content/lower lubricity.. I run PS each tank in the winter and usually every other tank in the summer.. I may go to every tank now though..<br><br>BUT doesnt Dodge/Cummins say you shouldnt use/dont need an additive UNLESS it is a winterizer thru cummins..<br><br><br>What are your thoughts on warranty issues??

Quick Reply: Interesting comment on diesel fuel and injection pumps...