Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Injectors, cheap or expensive, what is the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Injectors, cheap or expensive, what is the difference?

LOTS of talk about injectors here. I see members really liking their inexpensive Pensacola Diesel injectors and others liking their expensive F-1's, and other brands. What is the real difference? Why is one injector so much more expensive? Are they really that much better? Are expensive injectors a scam?
I am looking at a new set, but I have to admit, I am frozen by confusion. I believe that you get what you pay for, yet I see a lot of positive feedback on the inexpensive injectors which makes me wonder about the expensive sets. Is there a real reason to buy expensive when cheap will do?
I am positive that this thread will make me more confused than ever!
Old 08-01-2008, 04:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The positive feedback on low-cost injectors is overwhelmingly from guys who have never used an F1 or DDP injector.

The lower cost of cheaper injectors is primarily due to: offshore sourcing (china/indonesia/etc), lower grade metallurgy, and quality control (variance).

A high quality injector might be matched to within 1%, while a cheap set might be matched only to within 20%.

When you buy a premium injector, you are buying labor-intensive manufacturing with low economy of scale. You are also paying for the advanced tech required to make such accurate injectors (big dollar EDM machines and special extrude honing machines).

The F1s use a custom-made nozzle with premium metallurgy. That's a big part of the cost.

The pricier injectors might actually be a better value in terms of what you are actually buying for the money.

jmo
Old 08-01-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap ones, like the Jammers, generally over rate their claimed hp gains. A 150 hp Jammer usually won't produce as much. F-1's are notoriously under rated, minimum gain will be the advertised claim. You also have to consider smoke and driveability characteristics. My DDP 150's smoke about the same as my Jammer 80's, idle way better and drive better. More money, but much better quality. Nothing wrong with the cheaper injectors, but there is a reason DDP's and F-1's cost what they do.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have some ddp 4's in my truck. they are awesome. They start just like stock, actually idle nicer than stock with 0 haze. I can drive around smokeless or they will give more fuel than my sliver 64 can ever hope to clean up. I also get 18 mpg while cruising 80 on the interstate.