General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Implementing a Walbro fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"According to your diagrams above, as long as you have a regulator set at 15 PSI, somewhere in the system, you'll never see more than 22 PSI from the lift pump?"

Errr... no. If you put the regulator at the lift pump and set it to 15 PSI, you will never see more than 15 PSI anywhere in the system.

If you put the regulator at the injection pump and set it to 15 PSI, the highest pressure in the system will be 15 PSI plus however much pressure it takes to push the fuel through the filter and the lines. If your filter is plugged, that could be 30,40 PSI.

"So, placing the regulator just before the VP would insure the pump was fed a constant 15 PSI ... am I correct?"

Placing the regulator in the bypass line at the injection pump (VP in this case) will ensure it is fed with a constant pressure *as long as the lift pump can keep up*.

You have to be careful with the term "in front of" With a Holley 3 port regulator, the regulator does indeed go into the flow in front of the IP. With a pressure relief type regulator like the SwageLock, it does into the bypass line. You can't put the Swagelock fitting "in front of" the IP. It goes in the bypass line.

Clear ?
Old 01-09-2006, 11:39 AM

Interesting. So if you do the second setup and want to watch your fuel pressure to determine when to change the fuel filter, you should mount the sender pre-filter and then when the pressure gets too HIGH you change the filter. Otherwise you might risk blowing the fuel filter lid with a restricted filter. Ideally you'd be measuring pre-fitler and post-filter but that's probably not practical.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Banned

Exactly !!!! The regulator will keep the pressure at the injection pump steady. No real need to watch it. You'll be able to tell if your lift pump is going if the pre filter pressure drops.

You could put a piece of clear line in the return line so you can easily visually check that there is fuel flow coming back from the injection pump. Make sure the line is rated for the temps commonly seen in the engine compartment. The return line pressure is typically a few PSI.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:54 PM

I have a 98 Dodge Ram with the 24V Cummins. I very recently have had the classic hard start along with a fuel leak from the return line banjo. I have not tested the lift pump, but I suspect it may need replacing since everyone else's has. Has anyone attempted to use the Walbro setup mentioned in this thread on this particular vehicle? After reading all these posts, I gather that I have to remove the stock lp, mount the new Walbro on the frame near the tank, reroute the old wires, splice into the high pressure fuel line, and install a regulator (what type)? I'm lost since most of this discussion is for later model vehicles and search is not turning up good results. I probably have one of the few 24V with the original VP44. Sorry for the lack of searching, but I've been reading steadily for a day now and am not close to solving this problem.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Banned

I'll answer some of this. Others can answer the rest.

You could mount the Walbro (or Bosch or...) on the engine. Or on the frame.

I gave some regulator parts numbers in the first post of this thread. Others can post regulator part numbers for the parts they use.

I am not familiar enough with the fuel pump mounting on the 98.5 to comment further.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm not seeing a specific part number for the regulator since the link is bad in your first post. Anyone have any answers to my other questions, especially those who may have similar problems? What's with the fuel leak? Is that a common sign of lp failure or is my ip shot now. I have no loss of power whatsoever, just hard starting, especially first thing in the AM.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Banned

Here is a source of tapped banjo bolts:

http://www.genosgarage.com/CoastalD..._ID=593&CATID=1

Regulators:

http://www.swagelok.com/search/site...RT=0&PG=0&RPR=0

http://www.swagelok.com/shopping/pr...RT=0&PG=0&RPR=0

You have to disconnect the line to set the pressure with these. But they are very compact, just a 1/4" nipple is all. They regulate well too.

Could use a Holley type regulator as well.

I have no affiliation with Swagelock. I just like their stuff. Ditto Bosch, Walbro, Geno, etc.

www.mcmaster-carr.com as well, but I couldn't find any that are adjustable.

These links were in the first post on this thread. If you find other parts suppliers/numbers, please post them.

There are a couple other guys implementing this system. They should be in this thread shortly. You won't be alone for long.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Banned

"The diagram you have in your pictures that shows puting the regulator after the filter and bypassing to the return is that the one i need for a 2nd gen 24 valve???"

I recommend that configuration for both the VP44 and the pressurized CP3s.

"What kind of regulator do i need???"

You could use a Holley regulator or just about any stand alone 3 port fuel regulator.

I've used the SwageLock relief valves from the link above with good success. They regulate well, they are small and they inexpensive. The only thing is that you can't adjust them when they are assembled. So you'll have to plumb it into the pressure side of the bypass line and slip a piece of hose on it and run it into a bucket. Then turn on the lift pump, adjust the pressure to what you want. Then finish plumbing the bypass and you are ready to roll.

"I have always thought these pumps were the answer to the problem because they don't fail very often on the PSD and they run at 65psi."

Me too.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Banned

I have a holley regulator, can you tell me which ports to hook where they have 3 ports. I have never used one of this type before. By the way thank you very much you are a life saver, i can't believe i have missed this thread while reading.

Steve
Old 01-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Chapter President

Hey SD as you know I'm going with a good used Bosch pump from a junked SD. My question is this. Should this pump meet my fuel requirement to 500hp? I'm only @425-450hp now, and don't plan on going higher, I just put that # up as a saftey factor. I would like to run the strait line with by-pass with a prefilter pressure guage. I'm sure you answered this in a previous thread but it's late and I don't feel like searching. What is the rated flow of the Bosch?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Banned

I don't know what the Bosch is rated at flow wise.

500 HP = 29.6 GPH + excess flow = 38 GPH.

Why don't you test it and report back. Hook it up to a battery, measure the voltage with the pump running. Hook up a regulator to put some back pressure on it. Pump into a clean bucket and tell us how much it flows.

Is there any particular reason people are averse to the Walbro ?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Banned

"I have a holley regulator, can you tell me which ports to hook where they have 3 ports."

OK... the ports should be marked in, out and return or something like that. You will connect the in port to the line coming from the filter housing. You will connect the out port to the line going to the injection pump (VP44 or CP3). You will tee the return line into the return line going from the pump return to the fuel tank, so that both the fuel pump and the regulator will have a path return path to the fuel tank.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Chapter President

Nothing against the Walbro, I just knew where there were a couple new crashed SD's lying around in a junkyard. CAlled them up and they said if I pulled them I can have them for $50ea. I just think I'm a cheaper chep skate than you . I get this from being a Jeeper.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Banned

Thank you, looks like i have a project for this weekend. Are the lines 3/8, i want to use compression fittings for a clean install. I bought the holley blue pump with a regulator and i haven't really looked at the regulator, thanks again for answering my stupid questions.

Steve
Old 01-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Banned

I'm cheap too. I'd do the same thing. I was just wondering if people were purposely avoiding them. Kudos to you for being resourceful.

"Are the lines 3/8, i want to use compression fittings for a clean install."

I dunno. Get out your caliper. I like compression fittings too.

Are you running a fuel pressure sensor ?

Quick Reply: Implementing a Walbro fuel system