General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

i think the 1500 should have the 6.7 option

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont care lets open them

but for real dont u think the Dmax is a vary well build v8 diesel motor. you ve seen what how much mods guys hav done to that Dmax and they with stand a lot of power with stock components and last long long time. a stroke joke cant the 6.5 chevys cant. name me one other v8 diesel that can with stand the same amount of power the Dmax has.

i just saying cummins v8 has to be the same or better than the Dmax to be successful other wise it will fall into the pit of junk v8 diesels
Old 04-10-2009, 11:16 AM

Dodge 1500 Cummins due out for 2011 model year according to my most recent Truck Trend magazine. 5.0

Ford is coming out with a 6.7 "Scorpion" diesel next year. No more PowerJokes in Fords except in South America.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:17 AM

I had two D-Max powered trucks. An '03 and and '04. Never had a problem with the engines. When I chipped the '04 it was a rocket. Neither of them pulled as well as the Cummins I have now though. I can't explain it, but the 5.9 Cummins pulls a load better.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:52 PM

everyone I know that has hopped up duratrash at all has had problems. whether it is the transmission or the fuel system.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Muted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had an '01 Dmax (one of the first ones built) and it had the fuel system problems that were common to those trucks. Some say the Edge Juice box caused the problem. I dunno. All I can say for sure was that the truck would run like a raped ape. from what I've read, GM has long since fixed the issues with the fuel system though I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for one of the new ones with all the emissions crap on them.

I can agree with what LeonT said though. The Dmax, even when chipped, didn't pull nearly as well as a Cummins in stock or slightly modified form or my '01 Stroke for that matter.

As far as the 1500 Cummins goes...it's a 1500 truck. It's not made to tow huge loads so the sporty V8 may be the ticket. I'm more interested in durability and fuel economy. Give me a 1/2 ton 4x4 that gets 25 MPG or better and will last 300k miles and I'll buy one and replace the wife's '03 Z71. If I need to haul a heavy load I'll use my 1st Gen.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:12 PM

ur right the dmax does not pull as well as cummins but like u said ur not buying 1500 to tow around with. but no v8 diesel has been good at pulling thats y people buy cummins just to pull loads. and also like u said REBEL it better get 25mpgs. thats y i see no point in putting a v8 diesel in 1500 truck put a inline 4 or v6 diesel and u know for sure it will get 25 even 30 mpg.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Muted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would disagree with your statement that V8 diesels can't tow well in the sense that my '01 Stroke (the real Powerstroke, not the 6.oh-no or the new 6.4L pieces of poo) was a very balanced compromise between the sheer towing power of the Cummins and the fun factor of the Dmax. With only minor mods it was a very great truck and towed well. I will concede that the fuel mileage was not spectacular, but I drove it hard so that likely had some to do with that.

I agree that a diesel in the 1/2 tons should be focused on longevity and economy. Make a truck that will last 5 or 10 years and give reliable service. But alas, the automakers can't (or won't) do that because then they wouldn't have any need for mechanics and parts sales.

Ideally we would have options. For those who want max power a peppy high-revving V8 diesel. For those of us who want to tow some and get good fuel mileage, a small I-6 and for max mileage a I-4 diesel. But keep in mind that the automakers also have to be able to market their diesel truck to a broad spectrum of buyers just like they do now with the HD trucks all the while trying to keep up with the extortion from the Fuds and specifically the EPA.

Maybe the V8 Cummins is a compromise between them all. Until I see dyno charts with power curves, and actually get butt-in-seat time I can't say for sure. I do know that it's about damned time the Big 3 heard the pop and started to try to put a diesel in a half ton like GM did in the C/K trucks in the late '90s.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:51 PM

I would lean more towards a 1/2 ton that got 25mpg with 250hp than one that only gets 18 and has 350hp.

Unfortunately we will not see either.

With the emissions crap out there and more to come it will most likly be a 350hp motor that runs 75% of the time in a ''detuned'' state. And to make things worse, the fuel mileage will be horrible.

I have talked with Cummins engineers that said if they were able to spend half the time on mileage and power that they spend on emissions, our trucks would be well over 400hp from the factory and getting in the 26-30mpg range.

I get this sick feeling in my stomach every time that I hear or see something about emissions that the last 5.9 to roll of the factory in '07.4 was the last real diesel power mill we will ever see. Regulations will get tighter, fuel will become more expensive and by 2020 the diesel show will be over.

It's a sad thought, but there is more truth to this than I want. I doubt my kids will even know what a real diesel is other than pop's old home movies.

J.D.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My glass is half-full...

underneath it's BlueTec badge, the 6.7L is really a pretty good engine - IMO unquestionably better than the 5.9L CR.

It does kind of suck in OEM trim, though!
Old 04-23-2009, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by TAS05CTD610
That's my theory, everybody knows the Powerjoke and Duramax V-8's are fast engines. Yes not torque monsters, but if you want a fast 1500, the V-8 is the way to go. And if they come out in a truck that weighs 5,000 lbs, I don't care what you say, HP for HP the 1500 would smoke the 2500's simply due to the weight, and power to weight ratio If you think about it, take stock hp of the trucks

6.7 is 350hp, truck weighs say 7,500lbs = 21 lbs per 1 HP

5.0 V-8, same hp, 1500 weighs 5,000lbs = 14lbs per 1 HP

which one would win? yes you might not hop it up as much or add as much power as a iron block, iron cylinder head motor, but again, with less weight, the smaller power adders will seem like more, again due to the power to weight ratio. You don't see dragsters with iron motors, and frames, less weight, more power.

I'd easily take a v-8 cummins with 350 hp, over the 1100lb 6.7 l with the same.

Whoever made the comment on the front end, that was great

A regular cab 2wd 2500 weighs in at under 6,000 lbs with the 5.9, that isn't quite as light but it isn't to far off. I'd stick with the 5.9, JMHO
Old 04-30-2009, 12:27 AM
The Guru

I'm looking forward to the chance to drive one of these pocket rockets in the makin. A V8 diesel cummins has to be greatest idea going and out of the gate with 320 hp, wow. and 700 lbs. Put in programmer, bigger injectors, turbos, wow, its gonna be sweet.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bullfrog5.9
i dont care lets open them

but for real dont u think the Dmax is a vary well build v8 diesel motor. you ve seen what how much mods guys hav done to that Dmax and they with stand a lot of power with stock components and last long long time. a stroke joke cant the 6.5 chevys cant. name me one other v8 diesel that can with stand the same amount of power the Dmax has.

i just saying cummins v8 has to be the same or better than the Dmax to be successful other wise it will fall into the pit of junk v8 diesels
7.3 powerstroke????

WOW, you failed to mention that. the 7.3 PS is the CATERPILLAR engine of 18 wheelers.

The 7.3 hands down can go the same mileage as a 5.9 cummins, Theres a 7.3 in a 96 F250 running around here with just over 1,000,000 on the clock, original engine, 3- 5 speeds and a rear. still drives it... the 7.3 is what ford had going for them and the fact that they were FORD. Every ford fan seems to be diehard and that is that.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:08 PM
The Guru

Cummins has made V8 for decades. Its nothing new. Its gonna be one heck of a machine, just hopefully dodge can hang in, to put it into a 1/2ton. Once that occurs, its gonna be one red hot little express wagon.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
7.3 powerstroke????

WOW, you failed to mention that. the 7.3 PS is the CATERPILLAR engine of 18 wheelers.

The 7.3 hands down can go the same mileage as a 5.9 cummins, Theres a 7.3 in a 96 F250 running around here with just over 1,000,000 on the clock, original engine, 3- 5 speeds and a rear. still drives it... the 7.3 is what ford had going for them and the fact that they were FORD. Every ford fan seems to be diehard and that is that.

The average 5.9 Cummins will go many more miles than the average 7.3 PowerStroke. Sure there are some 'Strokers with really high miles, but there are way more Cummins' with more miles than the 7.3

That being said, the 7.3 is still by far my favorite Powerstroke.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I'm looking forward to the chance to drive one of these pocket rockets in the makin. A V8 diesel cummins has to be greatest idea going and out of the gate with 320 hp, wow. and 700 lbs. Put in programmer, bigger injectors, turbos, wow, its gonna be sweet.
i agree with you 100% there

Quick Reply: i think the 1500 should have the 6.7 option