General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.
View Poll Results: Based on your experience, would you buy another Dodge?
Yes
92.54%
No
7.46%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

How many of you all won't buy another Dodge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is my second Dodge and first Cummins. My Dad still drives the first Ram. I would buy another one but it would have to be a Cummins. The Charger SRT8 is really starting to look good to me so that may be my "weekend" car soon.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely another Dodge as long as it was an 06 or older. I have no desire for an emissions ladden truck. I drove GM trucks for 20 years and this truck has been way better than any of them. The Cummins has just been icing on the cake.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer the engineering and construction of the Rams over the other trucks, at least for heavy-duty use.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Chapter President

I voted YES, but I won't................can't afford the payments.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Banned

I won't own another one. This one is falling down around me. Bout the only thing I haven't replaced on it is the VP knock on wood. Also, the way the dealers treated me when I took the truck in for service when I was younger spoke a lot of what dodge thinks of their future customers. I love my truck and I love my engine but I will never own another dodge product.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I won't own another one. This one is falling down around me. Bout the only thing I haven't replaced on it is the VP knock on wood. Also, the way the dealers treated me when I took the truck in for service when I was younger spoke a lot of what dodge thinks of their future customers. I love my truck and I love my engine but I will never own another dodge product.
Do you really think another brand could do any better with the ragging and wholesale mods you've have put that sucker through? Also, I've been to good dealers and bad ones........but, I only went back to the good ones.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I won't buy another one because the ones I have now will last the rest of my life.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:54 AM

on #2 myself
Old 04-09-2007, 10:57 AM

I bet tyler took us all off guard didn't he? I would have never guesses that.

I'm a definite yes. They would have to mess up really bad to change my mind now.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Banned

I'd buy another cummins, but the Dodge part leaves me on the fence! If I could have a newer Chevy with a cummins I'd be happy.....the interior in dodges have always been 3 steps behind Chevy. Doing a road trip in my brothers Chevy or even my avalanche compared to the dodge is unreal.

Once I finally decided to sell mine, it seemed like every week until it sold something else would break on me. I ended up putting over $1k into my truck just to sell it, and my truck only had 99k miles on it

Don't get me wrong I loved my truck.....but for only having 99k on it I was not pleased with the repair bills.

~Nick
Old 04-09-2007, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crobtex
Do you really think another brand could do any better with the ragging and wholesale mods you've have put that sucker through? Also, I've been to good dealers and bad ones........but, I only went back to the good ones.

I agree with Crobtex! BB, would you really expect any other brand to have held up any better?? And you can find good dealer and bad dealers in every brand. Shoot, what may be a "good" dealer may turn into a "bad" one at any time and vice versa......depending on management, employees at the time etc. They mostly all have regular turnover. I am not defending the dealers that treated you bad because of your age, but it is easy to "assume" that a "kid" doesn't know anything or have any money and doesn't warrant the respect of an older person. But, WE, all respect ya... ....sorta!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
I'd buy another cummins, but the Dodge part leaves me on the fence! If I could have a newer Chevy with a cummins I'd be happy.....the interior in dodges have always been 3 steps behind Chevy. Doing a road trip in my brothers Chevy or even my avalanche compared to the dodge is unreal.

Once I finally decided to sell mine, it seemed like every week until it sold something else would break on me. I ended up putting over $1k into my truck just to sell it, and my truck only had 99k miles on it

Don't get me wrong I loved my truck.....but for only having 99k on it I was not pleased with the repair bills.

~Nick
Wow, you mean to tell us that a truck lifted to the moon and rolling on huge mud tires does not ride as nicely as a probably relatively if not completely stock Chevy with IFS? Or that a vehicle with extensive modifications and likely abused subsequently developed problems and became less reliable?

The Dodge chassis itself isn't exactly much to write home about, not much better or worse than those of GM and Ford in my opinion. Items on each of them wear out and require replacement with use and age. We would have to know the specifics of what went wrong with the particular truck, but on the surface it seems pretty ridiculous to blame any manufacturer for problems that were likely contributed to if not outright caused by aftermarket modification.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Banned

In all honesty, the things that have broken wasn't from my adding power. Ball joints (before the lift), tie rod ends (before the lift), wheel bearings (shortly after the lift), lift pumps (first 20k and the next at 21k), AC (35k miles), cruise control (40k miles), door handles (30k miles), u-joints (still need to do those), track bar (I didn't break the first one), cracked dash, broken over head map lights (why do you think I superglued them down), broken rear cup holder (son of a gun has never been used and it's broke). And the difference between the way I got treated and then my dad got treated by the SAME dealer really ticked me off. Nah, this truck is a piece. I've put my parents chevy's through the same abuse and they've held up 10x better and that's with them pulling loads. I can count on one hand the number of problems we've had with chevy's in the past 4 years. I love the motor and I finally love the tranny and I love the styling of the truck but it's falling to pieces around me and I'm getting tired of rebuilding it. I'll be glad when I can finally retire it to weekend duty only.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:26 PM

I love my truck. It runs great and has given me no problems except for vp44 / lift pump stuff. I drove a F550 at work and had nothing but transmission trouble. Some other stuff as well. I think that all brands have strong points and weak points but in my experience my dodge has been the best of them all.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Banned

In all honesty, the things that have broken wasn't from my adding power. Ball joints (before the lift), tie rod ends (before the lift), wheel bearings (shortly after the lift), lift pumps (first 20k and the next at 21k), AC (35k miles), cruise control (40k miles), door handles (30k miles), u-joints (still need to do those), track bar (I didn't break the first one), cracked dash, broken over head map lights (why do you think I superglued them down), broken rear cup holder (son of a gun has never been used and it's broke). And the difference between the way I got treated and then my dad got treated by the SAME dealer really ticked me off. Nah, this truck is a piece. I've put my parents chevy's through the same abuse and they've held up 10x better and that's with them pulling loads. I can count on one hand the number of problems we've had with chevy's in the past 4 years. I love the motor and I finally love the tranny and I love the styling of the truck but it's falling to pieces around me and I'm getting tired of rebuilding it. I'll be glad when I can finally retire it to weekend duty only.
Sounds like you either got a real lemon of a truck or are not very forthcoming about how you may have abused it. I agree that the Dodge 4x4 front ends could use some help. I would still rather have it than GM's IFS system, however, particularly with the 315s. The 24v LPs and IPs do not impress me, either.

My previously vehicle was a 1994 GMC K2500 Suburban that I purchased new and put 186,000 miles on in the course of nearly 13 years. I could count the number of problems I had with the truck on one hand, too, if I used it about 6 or 7 times. I could hardly keep front brakes or an alternator in the thing. Despite that, I thought that overall it was a decent truck and would likely have still have it had it been a pickup instead of a Suburban.

Electrical components wear out, plastic interior degrade, and stuff breaks regardless of whose emblem is on the grill. I'd rather have a GM gas engine and automatic transmission than Chrysler, however.

Quick Reply: How many of you all won't buy another Dodge?