General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

high temp manifold/turbo "paint"

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up high temp manifold/turbo "paint"

A couple weeks ago when I installed my pyrometer thermocouple in the manifold, I was at the NAPA store and happened to spy on the shelf a Dry Graphite Film aerosol spray..
("dgf-123" NAPA Part # 765-1413)
Hmmm.. I picked up a can for the heck of it and after installing the thermocouple, I first decided to try it out on the cast iron turbo housing and then the exh manifold. I dusted off the cast iron of its loose stuff and sprayed away. It dries almost instantly.
Wow! I didn't realize it until I stepped back to admire my handiwork, that this stuff is a REAL close match to the OEM CTD engine paint!
How will it hold up? Well I tried out on a chunk of 1/4" steel plate sprayed with DGF-123 and lit my propane torch.. I had to get the corner of the steel plate absolutely brigh red hot before this stuff would begin to oxidize and disappear.
After it cooled, the steel piece still had a rather tight coating of graphite film on everything except the tip that was bright red hot.
So far the manifold and turbo still look like they are freshly "painted".. I don't plan on getting my manifold THAT hot ever!

FYI there is a companion product I didn't buy called "WGF" (WET Graphite Film) Don't get the wrong one!

Old 12-22-2004, 06:56 PM

Excellent Find. Thanks for posting the p/n's without even being asked to!

Richard
Old 12-22-2004, 07:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I use the stuff all the time on farm equipment. You don't even have to clean the surface for it to stick excellent.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Banned

Thanks for that great find.

I'm going to try to get a can tomorrow, I got that new turbo and I think it would look great sprayed because the turbo will get rusty in less then 2 weeks here on the coast. Anything to make under the hood look better is great.

CRIS
Old 02-12-2005, 09:29 PM

Stopped by NAPA today. Been wanting to try the Dry Film Lube to cover the rust on the Exhaust Manifold and Turbo Housing. Works really good. The color does match nicely. Only ran it about 30 miles and it held up. Dont know what will happen in time. But for now it looks great. The rust is at least for the time being hidden.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:09 AM

Yep, my "painted" turbo scroll and manifold are still holding up too! I don't run any fuel or tow (yet) so I haven't been able to make my exhaust "glow" yet..
But, my test piece of steel plate has been exposed to the elements for a couple weeks now and the non painted parts are rusty. The tip that was glowing bright red hot is rusty, but the rest is still nice and "graphite" colored.
If I ever have to pull my manifold, I will wire brush the rust on the underside off and give it a proper thick coating of graphite to make it stand up. Also the exhaust ports on the head needed it too!

Keith
Old 02-14-2005, 09:43 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Don't they make high-temp paint for headers and such? It's supposed to stand up to red heat I think.

Edwin
Old 02-14-2005, 12:24 PM

Mebby so, I've seen silver and black HT paint, but does it come in Cummins "Bluke" color?
It does match amazingly well!

K.