General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Heavy truck + bad pavement = ......

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heavy truck + bad pavement = ......

Remember, these trucks are HEAVY.

Quite a suprise Friday. I realized forgot to hit the bank on the way home and made....or at least attempted to make a U-turn. Take a look at my gallery for a few more pics. It's a little shocking to be sitting there, no other cars in sight, reaching for the shifter when the bottom drops out from under you.

My first thought was I'd really overestimated the width of the driveway and driven into the ditch.....I was actually happy to see it wasn't my fault.

Anyway, it killed one of the steps and dinged up the bumper but the crossmember and front diff took the brunt of the load and don't appear to be any worse for the wear.

Still haven't contacted the homeowner - I think they're snowbirds and have already headed south. Oh well....
Attached Thumbnails Heavy truck + bad pavement = ......-dsc01743.jpg  
Old 10-15-2007, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW!, did you get it out under its own power or did you need assistance?
Old 10-15-2007, 02:17 PM

One wheel way off the ground and the other barely contacting. Good and stuck.

A Powerstroke guy stopped and asked if he could help. Turned him down. I told him I couldn't let him do that - he'd be bragging for the rest of his life. Good thing he had a sense of humor. The tow truck was on the way anyway.....
Old 10-15-2007, 02:35 PM

At least it didn't smash up any sheetmetal... I got mine stuck in some muck when it was brand new and by the time we got straps it had sunk.

I let a Ford pull me out though I have no shame.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:42 PM

What the.........

Sinkhole? I see the asphalt sinking and cracking clear out past the drivers side door! Maybe a utility crossing under the drive got washed out? Something is not right with the underlying base course of the driveway.....

What a mess, glad you truck didn't get crunched!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:38 PM

Holy sinkhole batman!!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your CTD really FUBAR'd their driveway!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:55 PM

Holy smokes.. That photo is worth a thousand words for sure.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:14 PM

Looks like a good sinkhole, good thing that you had the camera with you I would have never believed you. Glad to find out that there was only minor damage.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:44 PM

Wowsers! What I THOUGHT this thread was gonna say and another thread I just read is going to make me drop 10-15LBs in each tire!!!!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:14 PM

wow lucky it didnt go right over on ya
Old 10-16-2007, 10:26 PM

Wow. Looks like a sinkhole to me as well. You're right, that 1200lb engine makes a good boat anchor on soft asphalt.

Take photos of it and let the homeowner know, maybe you could take a few bags of blacktop patch over there and at least try to fill it in and level it out...just don't put the front of your truck there again!
Old 10-18-2007, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by 06 DIESEL
Looks like a good sinkhole, good thing that you had the camera with you I would have never believed you. Glad to find out that there was only minor damage.
Neither would the insurance company.

There was a culvert running under the driveway. The neighbors who stopped to chat while I waited for the towtruck said they'd noticed the problem (apparently, it was obvious when you were coming from the other direction) but the guy wouldn't fix it.

The repair looks more expensive than I'd hoped - scratches through the chrome on the bumper mean it needs to be replaced or it'll have cancer by spring. $380 for non-OEM. Needs a new air dam. $180 The dimple in the door is also scratched through to metal so that needs poped out and painted, tube step is done and insurance will only replace the damaged step....but they're sold in pairs so I'll have to eat the cost of the extra step. $360 for the pair.

I'd bother the homeowner but 1. He's never home and 2. I don't really want to get into a edit match about trespassing and such - I'm told he's not the nicest fella.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by rocketguy
I don't really want to get into a edit match about trespassing and such - I'm told he's not the nicest fella.
... Got Ammo?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:15 AM

Actually, I'm glad the police didn't get involved since I was returning from a day at the range and had 2 rifles, 4 pistols and several hundred rounds of ammo in the bed.......

Quick Reply: Heavy truck + bad pavement = ......