General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Fueling While Idling..???

Old 04-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fueling While Idling..???

General question: My vehicle 3/4 ton, 6 speed man, Dodge Diesel 06 stock.

Is it ok to fuel up while idling? (Yes I know under 10 min or figure out something to high idle.Gel issue)
The manual is adamant about not doing this. Why?
Thanks New Owner & Love it!
Old 04-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The manual says not to do it because of Diesel Runaway.

If the fellow next to you filling up his gasser has the pump handle fall out and spills gasoline everywhere, your Diesel will suck up those fumes and run out of control.
You won't be able to shut it off with the key, RPM's will keep going up quite rapidly until the engine destroys itself, and all folks around it.

Other than that, many folks keep the truck running while fueling.

phox
Old 04-10-2006, 04:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i go to a full service station- i have always let my truck idle, when it is being filled. never a problem. it has been two years now. (diesel pumps are also a good 100 feet away from the gas pumps)
Old 04-10-2006, 04:49 PM

I've always left it running until the other day, when like phox said somebody dropped the nozzle on the gas pump next to me. The engine started to run away, but I got it shut down with the emergancy air shutoff I have that is required at alot of the truck pulls around here, darn I'm glad for those rules. I always thought it was stupid to have to have one until the other day. From here on out I'll shutdown all the time.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:08 PM

I do not shut down, but after reading this I might start. No need to grenade a Cummins for some gasser idiot not being in control.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:38 PM

You won't be able to shut it off with the key, RPM's will keep going up quite rapidly until the engine destroys itself, and all folks around it.
6th gear and clutch out with foot on brake... that will control/kill the engine.. clutch is cheap compared to windowed block
Old 04-10-2006, 05:43 PM

not that many would think of it but exactly, just get the truck out of there, make it use the power its makin and HOPE it doesnt go boom, OR just shut it off

Where do you get a intake kill at?
Old 04-10-2006, 07:34 PM

Why do so many fuel up with the engine running anyways as the fuel islands have signs saying "turn off your engine"??????? Diesel fuel in your tank is heated and becomes atomized which comes out of the filler pipe and is suceptable to explosion- fuel vapors explosive who would have thought- no problem!!!!! We just went through this stupid discussion on RV.net, where are we all going in such a hurry to endanger ourselves and others????? PK
Old 04-10-2006, 07:52 PM

last i checked diesel fuel fumes arnt flammable or explosive?
Old 04-10-2006, 07:58 PM

were do you get this air intake shutoff
Old 04-10-2006, 08:05 PM

Your local Cummins dealer can get them, generally available where diesels are required to operate in atmospheres containing flamable vapors. Diesel vapors have a higher flash point but are explosive. PK
Old 04-10-2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by phox_mulder
The manual says not to do it because of Diesel Runaway.

If the fellow next to you filling up his gasser has the pump handle fall out and spills gasoline everywhere, your Diesel will suck up those fumes and run out of control.

Other than that, many folks keep the truck running while fueling.

phox
What?

How does gas fumes make the truck act like that? Never heard of this before.

I've always let me truck run while fueling. But then again the station I fill up at has the island on the side of the building so there arn't any gas pumps next to it.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by suzukiZrider
were do you get this air intake shutoff
I fabbed it up myself. I've never seen a company that has them for sale, but I had to have it because of the rules that are placed on truck pulling around here. It's basically a Butterfly valve that I placed in the tube running from the intercooler to the intake on the engine. It is solinoid operated from the cab, or can be controlled via pull cord from the back f the truck. It is required to be like this for pulling. Here is BBD's website scroll down to allmost the bottom for pictures, I used his design to make mine. http://www.bigbaddodge.com/Motor.html
Old 04-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Nate-03 D
What?

How does gas fumes make the truck act like that? Never heard of this before.
Gas fumes, natural gas, propane, even oil from the turbo bearings or a blown head gasket can result in a runaway.

There was a long thread/discussion about Diesel Runaway here a while back,
a search might find it.
Or, a search on Google would bring up all kinds of fun reading.

phox
Old 04-10-2006, 08:33 PM

Yea i'll have to research that. Im not getting how a little gas fumes will make the engine go spastic and not shut off when the key is removed.

If you accidently put gas in your truck(god forbid) would it detonate also? I knew a guy who put diesel in his V10 Ford and it didn't "runaway", the truck was in bad shape but nonetheless.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fueling While Idling..???