General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge Transmission/Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 03:03 PM

Location: Home station is Fort Bragg, North Carolina, overseas- CSC Scania, Iraq
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford, Chevy, Dodge Transmission/Engine

Alright, I'm getting conflicting responses from this. Of the three makers, I'm getting told Dodge's transmissions are having "big problems" I find that hard to believe. Getting advised to not buy a Dodge for that reason alone and to buy a Ford or Chevy. I prefer Dodge, so I'm asking...any truth behind Dodge having transmission problems in their 2500, manual, 6.7's. I'm calling BS, but if anyone has some articles or reviews or something on the topic, I'm coming up short.

Appreciate it..

Nick
Old 12-01-2007, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Their autos had some problems. Except the Getrag in 89-93, the manuals had very few flaws. A manual in a 07-08 behind the 6.7L is a G56, a good all around tranny.

HTH

Jon
Old 12-02-2007, 07:25 AM

Location: Home station is Fort Bragg, North Carolina, overseas- CSC Scania, Iraq
Thats what I thought, auto having problems. Good to hear, anyone else got anything to say on it?

Nick
Old 12-02-2007, 07:55 AM

Mid 90's to early '00's most manufacturers were using the NV4500 for their 5 spd so if there were issues they all had em...of the automatics the Allison was/is considered the best but with HP modifications all were having problems with longevity...virtually all of todays manual tranny's are near bullet proof, as always the clutch would be the weak link.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Let me guess, these are Chevy and Ford guys telling you about the "big problems"?

Tell them when they make enough torque to break a tranny you might consider buying a Ford or Chevy.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Noop, no problems in the auto's either for that matter. Those GM/Ford guys are just jelious. Tell them to go fly a kite in a thunderstorm...

The auto's in 03'-07' with the 5.9 are 48re's and folks have had very few problems with them in stock or mild Hp situations.

The 07.5 trucks use the 68rfe auto. Haven't heard of any complaints about them yet, we shall see, need for time and miles.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:25 AM

the new 68rfe thats in the 6.7s... its just plain awesome. NO complaints at all. The 6sp was the icing on the cake for me and is what made me decide to go with the cummins over a duramax! I havent heard of any problems yet with the new 6spd auto.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:28 AM

Haha, I did find it really hard to believe that Dodge's manual was having any problems. Thought I'd check with you guys. The guys telling me this are just a big bunch who've, from what they say, had all the diesels at one time or another in their life. Me being so much younger than them, I was thinking, "Ok, maybe theres some truth to these seasoned owners."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in my eyes, all three makers are well made trucks, it's really dependent on the buyer when it comes to which one he chooses.

I was looking at the Ford F-250 Lariat, not a bad lookin truck at first glance to be honest. I know not a whole lot about it as I haven't researched it at all. Chevy, used to love them but today it's simply not what I'm looking for.

Looking for non-bias here, what are the pros and cons of the Dodge 2500 Laramies and the Ford F-250 Super Duty. I see differences in both, but looking for the more specifics that I don't know a whole lot about and all you do.

Nick
Old 12-02-2007, 11:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The Ford 6.0 is a piece of junk period........ The new Ford 6.4????? to early to tell.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:51 PM

i wouldnt buy a 6.0 Powerstroke for anything. they are plain and simple JUNK. My in law and his family are die hard ford fans and each of their 6, 6.0s has had so many problems.

The 6.4 powerstroke seems to be an OK engine BUT you have to pull the whole cab off for almost any engine work to be performed. Also the mileage on them is absolutely horrible. by far the worst mileage of the big three
Old 12-02-2007, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Burkert
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in my eyes, all three makers are well made trucks, it's really dependent on the buyer when it comes to which one he chooses.
You're right in a way. It all depends on what the owner of a truck is looking for. Some put comfort of ride ahead of engine. The Cummins is the best of the 3. The new Duramaxs are also good engines and may be faster than the Cummins out of the lot but that's because they are a V8 and geared more towards performance; whereas the Cummins is more of a heavy duty work-hog engine with the inline-6. The 6.0 Powerstrokes are just junk.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:23 PM

48re

I have an 06 with the auto and even though it has been beat up on i have no complaints. Transmission has been great and i have really abused it so don't let them tell you that cause it is pretty stout.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you really want to make a head-to-head comparison though,
Go to the Ford ealer and ask to drive a diesel pickup with a MANUAL transimission. Now go try the same at a Chevrolet or GMC dealer.
When you go to every Dodge lot here in central Texas you will find a 50/50 split between Automatics and MANual transmissions.
I ran into the same issue when we were shopping for the wife's '03. One salesperson took us to the lot and we hopped into a truck she *thought* was what we were looking for. Duramax/Allison. I looked at her and said, uh oh, I can't drive this. She looked surprised and said "why not?" - so with a straight face I looked her in the eye and said that I'd never learned how to drive an automatic transmission! She bought it, and we left that lot laughing.
Seriously though, if you are like me and have severe control issues that dictate the need for a MANual transmission (not a sissy-matic, like they put in a mini-van), then you might not be able to find a Ford or Chev/GMC suitable for you. I asked about the newest Ford, and someone told me that you couldn't even configure one with a MANual on their on-line web page. I guess that I should check that information out before I disperse it though.

Dry Creek
Old 12-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
48E is fine stock...what it was built for. The 7.3 Ford engine is a good one. The 5.9 CTD is a great one.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you go Ford, don't get the 6.0, you will be sorry if you do. If you can get a great price on a 7.3, it might be a good deal. I am too brand loyal now to ever buy a ford diesel. Maybe a shortbed, single cab d-max for a racer, but never a Ford. My work truck will always be Dodge Cummins.

Quick Reply: Ford, Chevy, Dodge Transmission/Engine