General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Ford about to claim bragging rights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford about to claim bragging rights?

lifted from today's Autotech Daily:

HIGHER-TORQUE FORD F-250 PICKUPS ON THE WAY
Ford Motor Co. will introduce a redesigned 2005 model F-250 SuperDuty commercial pickup with beefed up gasoline and diesel engines later this year. The powerplants promise to deliver more torque for best-in-class towing capabilities. About 90% of F-250 owners use their trucks for towing. The new SuperDuty trucks also will look tougher than this year’s model, Ford says. The vehicles, which account for about 40% of Ford’s F-Series sales, will continue to be produced at the company’s Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The power of advertisment, if you cant dazzel them with brilliance, baffel them with bull........ well, you know.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:20 AM

Re: Ford about to claim bragging rights?

Originally posted by Commatoze
lifted from today's Autotech Daily:

... The new SuperDuty trucks also will look tougher than this year’s model, Ford says. The vehicles, which account for about 40% of Ford’s F-Series sales, will continue to be produced at the company’s Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville.
So they're going to get even more ugly? Now if it resembles the new F150 it'll be an improvement me thinks, but historically, Ford seems to want to make the Supers more uh, masculine appealing than the 150. I like the Dodge fine, but the Dodge I think windshield is a little too steeply raked and the bug deflector doesn't keep bugs off, the Quad needs to become a Crew, and the stereo should have had 6x9's in the rear and the 6" round speakers from the back doors need to be moved to the front doors. Other than that...Nat
Old 04-28-2004, 09:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let's hope Ford does trump the 04.5 Cummins 325/600 rating. That will eventually force Dodge/Cummins to make another upgrade.

An excellent example of how competition ultimately benefits the consumer!

Rusty
Old 04-28-2004, 09:37 AM

You know, Chevy still claims best in class towing too, and it's truck only has 590lbs of torque.

So I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:30 AM

i just hope they fixed the 6.0
that just sucks, to buy a truck for 40+ grand just to have it break
i fell sorry for some of those guys
Old 04-28-2004, 01:35 PM

More Info:

http://www.courierjournal.com/busine...rd27-6325.html
Old 04-28-2004, 04:18 PM

Thanks for that link. Mike Omotoso, an analyst for research and consulting firm Global Insight, said he expects Ford to go up to at least 610 foot-pounds of torque with the new model, something that could be achieved with minor changes to the engine.
Duh! Like replace it with something that's built by say Caterpillar or Cummins? 610 sounds awfully close to the CTD doesn't it? Must me some truth to that rumor on another thread about Ford and Cummins. Wonder what Hoss has to say?
Old 04-28-2004, 04:36 PM

wait till you see the sticker price 40k plus plus plus plus
Old 04-28-2004, 06:05 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I used to care about the power wars, but I don't anymore. I know which one I like and that is all that matters to me.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Jack Thorpe
I used to care about the power wars, but I don't anymore. I know which one I like and that is all that matters to me.
Same here. I really don't care how much power ford or chevy is makeing. In my opinion, you can't beat the Cummins. Even if you do care about the power wars, 10 more ft/lbs of torque? If they went to the trouble of "tweeking" it for more power, why not 50 or 75 more ft/lbs? Seems that they only wanted to get enough so that they could put out commercials that say "More torque than Dodge or Chevy!" I'm suprised they didn't go for 601 ft/lbs.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:49 PM

ya know...I wonder if the "best-in-class" bragging rights depend on the engine class, or the weight capacity class? If it's engine class, then it's comparing apples to oranges...Cummins = medium duty engine...all others = light duty engine. And here's another thing...Cummins has had the same engine for 12 yrs now. They've made changes to the intake, exhaust, turbo, tranny, and injection system, but they've NEVER had to change the whole engine design. Cummins WILL keep up w/ the competition w/ ease because the 5.9 was built for 1000 ft/lb output.

610 ft/lbs? What a joke! If you're gonna do it, do it BIG!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by RustyJC
Let's hope Ford does trump the 04.5 Cummins 325/600 rating. That will eventually force Dodge/Cummins to make another upgrade.

An excellent example of how competition ultimately benefits the consumer!

Rusty
Ford WILL bring out more hp/tq this next time then it will be DMAX then again Cummins....Its just a ring-around-rosie deal. I have talked with several FORD-DODGE-CHEVY reps and they all say it just ring around the first couple of yrs with new motors coming out.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:46 PM

You know, welder hit on the top of the mountain.

How many times has Ford and Chevy changed their engines in the same time frame that Dodge has had the same basic engine? That is something that I have thought about quite a bit.

I am not sure how old the 6.9 is in Ford, then the 7.3, now the 6.0. That doesn't include the turbo upgrade for 7.3 in 94-95.

And Chevy...I don't even know how many different diesels they have went through.

And still Dodge keeps turning up that Cummins. Thank God for Dodge!!
Old 04-29-2004, 08:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
They have to come out with a new model to beat the CTD? And how long will Ford customers have to wait to find out all of the problems the "NEW" motor will have? We know the problems of the CTD and we know how to recognize and deal with them thanks to this web site. Why would anyone want to be a guinee pig with a $45K truck??

Quick Reply: Ford about to claim bragging rights?