General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Finally Called Dave

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally Called Dave

Well you all REALLY know what your talking about when you say Dave is the man for Transmissions. We were on the phone for 40 minutes debating full builds billet input vs rebuild mine vs single and triple disk converters and VB's. You don't really need this but I would recommend it "let's check that price" You might need this so let's check that price on and on. My cell phone battery died in the middle of the conversation so I had to run back in to call him back once it was plugged in.

Long story short, Dave is customer service at it's finest and I haven't even bought a thing yet, but... number crunching... I think I'm going to drive out to IA to have him rebuild my tranny 850 miles each way. If it needs new bearings it will get new bearings, sun gear, new sun gear etc with a triple disk and VB upgrade but no billet $$$ would love to but that $700 vs $150 for a stocker input he's only seen 2 break since they (dodge) redid the heating process in 04 my numbers might be off so don't quote any price as I have so many numbers on my paper it's not even funny. But I can basically have him rebuild my trans for $2300-2900 depending on what's needed. So no sun gear or OD something or other less money so NO wasted money on parts I don't need vs paying shipping for a tranny ~$500 both ways. It will cost me about $400 in fuel and more in hotel but to say Dave built my trans will be worth it.

Looks like he has some openings the week of the 21st so can we say ROAD TRIP
Old 04-07-2008, 07:01 PM

You wont be disappointed once bit when he is done. Best customer service youll find.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:58 PM

You will not be dissapointed,, I drove there in MAr 2007 and had him replace my trans,, what a difference it made.. I called him a few weeks before and he had a trans ready for me when i got there, Got to his shop at 8 am and was gone by 3 pm that day,, and he will let you watch them all you like and answer any questions you have.

By the way I drove prob 750 miles each way to. To me to have him install it himself is worth it. Figure in the shipping the trans to you and getting another shop to install it costs alot as well,, so i decided to drive down and let him do it all,,,, oh yea saves the core charge to when he installs it :-)
Old 04-07-2008, 08:33 PM

Dave G. is the best, you won't meet a nicer man or get a better transmission anywhere. Only the facts. Thanks Steve B.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:57 PM

Does the $2300-$2900 include removal and installation?
Old 04-07-2008, 09:39 PM

I paid more than that for my old '99 tranny re-build and from what every one is saying I doubt I got half as good a tranny for it. Wish I had people like Dave closer to me....yeah I'm selfish and jealous!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hammily
Does the $2300-$2900 include removal and installation?
Yup. I had him figure labor for rebuilding this way or that way. My trans only has 80,000 miles so he and I are hoping most can be reused. He was talking about an overdrive gear might be bad but with my symptoms didn't think so. But with 80+ it needs or should have a new input shaft and housing so labor worst case was ~300-600 + parts (subject to seeing what he's actually getting into) and I did say if need be I'd just put in a new trans but I truly believe mine is in OK shape, as did he, but I won't tow with it the way it is. The more he has too take apart the more it costs, so price includes R&R and fluid, gaskets etc and IA sales tax his worst case labor and parts for what we talked about.

I'm excited, the wife actually wants to go on a road trip to Iowa for this

Dotting the I's and crossing the T's tomorrow and a final call should be in on Wed or Thurs for an appt.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll love it. There is nothing like having a built auto for these trucks.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by 2500Ram
Yup. I had him figure labor for rebuilding this way or that way. My trans only has 80,000 miles so he and I are hoping most can be reused. He was talking about an overdrive gear might be bad but with my symptoms didn't think so. But with 80+ it needs or should have a new input shaft and housing so labor worst case was ~300-600 + parts (subject to seeing what he's actually getting into) and I did say if need be I'd just put in a new trans but I truly believe mine is in OK shape, as did he, but I won't tow with it the way it is. The more he has too take apart the more it costs, so price includes R&R and fluid, gaskets etc and IA sales tax his worst case labor and parts for what we talked about.

I'm excited, the wife actually wants to go on a road trip to Iowa for this

Dotting the I's and crossing the T's tomorrow and a final call should be in on Wed or Thurs for an appt.
You may want to wait for a few weeks before you drive out here so that it has time warm up and make the trip more enjoyable.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:46 PM

Where in Iowa is this place?? What is this place?? I have not been happy with my tranie sence trading my 6 speed for this truck last fall. I always thought all the good tranie shops where out on the coasts but now I see I have a good in state option. If the time comes to do mine I would like it if I could just go to there shop and not have to ship the tranie cross country.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:52 PM

Dave is great to deal with. He will have a much bigger shop once that addition is done.
Good luck and enjoy the trip.
Deck
Old 04-08-2008, 09:59 PM

I sent him an email last year and as soon as I blow the stocker i will be calling him
Old 04-08-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by bkrukow
Where in Iowa is this place?? What is this place?? I have not been happy with my tranie sence trading my 6 speed for this truck last fall. I always thought all the good tranie shops where out on the coasts but now I see I have a good in state option. If the time comes to do mine I would like it if I could just go to there shop and not have to ship the tranie cross country.
http://goerend.com

St. Lucas IA. by Waterloo some say he's got the best trannies in the business and bar none the best customer service and warranty. I'm sure hoping so as I don't want to spend this money again.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:00 PM

Cant go wrong with Goerend.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:06 PM

for once im glad to live in iowa!

hes only a few hours away!

Quick Reply: Finally Called Dave