General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Engine came to life today... pics...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Engine came to life today... pics...

Finally was able to get the new engine ready to start today. Fired right up and sounds good I should have an A/C compressor next week so I can put the belt on it (to run the water pump) and let it come up to temp. I need to bring it to temp a few times so I can retorque the head studs before I install it in the Excursion.

In the meantime, I need to get the billet input shaft installed in the trans as well as some other required tranny upgrades

Here's some pics...

Old 10-14-2007, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow wicked set up.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Chapter President

That's cool!
Old 10-14-2007, 10:19 PM

Let the fun begin. Where are you getting some of the conversion parts from? By the way that is too many valves for an Excursion.

John
Old 10-15-2007, 01:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work!!!! I love the wood engine stand
so do you hook a muffler to it or just let it roar away in the shop???
Old 10-15-2007, 08:18 AM

I let it run in the garage for now. I'm picking up a stock exhaust clamp so I can hook up some exhaust pipe I have laying around to get exhaust out the garage. (EDIT) just got back from the dealer, they want $64 for a clamp between the elbow and the downpipe I guess I'll go ahead and put the SPS62 on it now (I do have a downpipe and clamp for it)...

It came on the wooden engine stand. (engine is new)

engine mounts from autoworld, throttle cable adapter from Destroked, transfer case input shaft from transfercaseexpress.com, most other parts from a salvage yard, performance shop, or classifieds...
Old 10-15-2007, 02:04 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I'd suggest that you mount some air filter on the intake as long as you don't have your CAC piped in (Won't need that on the test stand)- it's nice that you filter your turbo but the engine gets to eat all the dirt..

Cool project!

AlpineRAM
Old 10-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would keep the fuel switch for inside the excursion, same with the gauge. Nice test setup..
Old 10-15-2007, 05:33 PM

Pretty slick!

MikeyB
Old 10-15-2007, 06:18 PM

I'm not a Ford fan, but an Excursion with a CTD is awesome. I've always had that idea jumping around in my head, and I haven't seen anyone attempt it until now. If a CTD can be put into a F250 or F350 fairly easily, why not an Excurion? I'm extremely jealous, and I'm not the jealous type.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:20 PM

I mainly have the air filter on the turbo to keep one of my kids from putting something in there without me knowing about it. I also have a cap to close off the intake horn when it isn't running. I was trying to see how easy it was to kill the engine with a block of wood to cover the intake horn (pretty easy, doesn't take much at idle anyway). I'll be working on a emergency air cutoff for my pulling truck this winter.

I like the idea of keeping the manual fuel switch as well as some others...

Got the billet input shaft installed today on the 48RE, as well as an upgraded band, hd strut & lever, and ATS valvebody. Working on the overdrive section later this week.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by 5.9Excursion
I mainly have the air filter on the turbo to keep one of my kids from putting something in there without me knowing about it. I also have a cap to close off the intake horn when it isn't running. I was trying to see how easy it was to kill the engine with a block of wood to cover the intake horn (pretty easy, doesn't take much at idle anyway). I'll be working on a emergency air cutoff for my pulling truck this winter.

Got the billet input shaft installed today on the 48RE, as well as an upgraded band, hd strut & lever, and ATS valvebody. Working on the overdrive section later this week.
I cant wait to see this thing when its done
Old 10-15-2007, 10:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sweeeet, wood grain dash!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.9Excursion
..... I was trying to see how easy it was to kill the engine with a block of wood to cover the intake horn (pretty easy, doesn't take much at idle anyway). I'll be working on a emergency air cutoff for my pulling truck this winter.
There are many options for positive air shut offs. I have one for business reasons and it was very easy to install and use. Was a little pricey, but thats oilfield for ya..
Old 10-16-2007, 09:07 AM

Smile

Getting ready to swap the billet input shaft (stock on left, billet on right).

Waiting for a new overdrive housing so I can swap all the internals over (my rear case is cracked). Should have it from Goerends later this week.

Quick Reply: Engine came to life today... pics...