General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Durango ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Durango ???'s

I am looking into converting a Durango to a 16V 4BTA for my wife to drive. We are still looking at the costs to see if we really want to do it. I have a few questions concerning the Durango. Is it available with a t-case that has AWD? What options are there for external control of the Dodge auto? I know with an E4OD, I can have an external computer control the tranny, but I don't know anything about Dodge tranny's. With the t-case, I like how the expedition's t-case is setup, you can choose 2HI, AWD, 4HI, & 4LO, and I don't know if that was an option on the Durango's.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:28 PM

I drive a 2000 Durango with AWD. There's a manual shift lever on the floor with; 4LO, NEUT, 4 HI UNLOCK, 4 HI LOCK.

These Durango's are notorious for weak ball joints and front ends in general, so I'd think a Cummins 4BT would be WAY too heavy.

Plus, the POS Dodge auto couldn't handle the tork.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:16 PM

What type of front axle does the durango have? The 4BTA is close to the same weight as a V8. I was thinking of using either a 47RE or an E4OD for the tranny. With the 47RE, I don't know of an external controller for it, or if it could be controlled by the stock durango PCM. That wouldn't be a problem with the E4OD. I would prefer that to use the 47RE because of the availablity of bell housing adapters. To mate up the E4OD to the cummins is a little more costly, but not difficult.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:29 PM

Perhaps this is stepping out of line to suggest, but instead of a very vibration-prone B-series 4-cylinder Cummins, which is really meant for agricultural or industrial use rather than a passanger vechile, why not consider the much more refined, and possibly much more avalible Mercedies 2.7L 5-cylinder with the 5-speed auto trans that is used in the Sprinter van? This common-rail equipped engine is smooth, quiet, and plenty powerful for a Durnago. It's also considerably less heavy for the Dakota-based chassis. This would probably get the attention of D-C, they might be interested in such a vechile if you created it.

I have dreamed for some time about putting this engine and transmission combo into a Jeep Wrangler, even though I really don't care for automatics. Neat project idea, if you have the $$$$ you can do it!