Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

duramax surprize

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh boy, are you guys nuts or what. I have a 4x4 long bed diesel 2004 quad cab. This truck is by far the best truck that $$ can buy. Who cares how fast the truck will pull up a hill. If I can travel pulling my toy hauler down the highway at 75 miles and hour at 2200 rpms and get 18 miles to the gallon I am happy. This is what my truck does. It only has 3500 miles so far and from what I understand the mileage is only going to get better.

Ford and Chevy cost tooooooooo much for a lesser truck. [Edited]
Old 06-13-2005, 12:53 AM
Banned

I assume that 04 was an LLY ?

If we trust the manufacturers curves, there isn't anything to debate about the engine: the Cummins makes more power over a broader band than the Ford or the Chev. End of story.

What is really getting tested here is the transmission.

Regarding the auto being faster than the stick in Dodge diesels. There is no way a stick will compete with an auto in these big trucks. The auto, though not as efficient, keeps the engine up in the powerband all the time and boost doesn't fall off during shifts. Its no contest. I've owned a couple gassers with a stick and the same goes there too. You wonder how they can get away from the light so fast until you ride with them and see the tach go to 3000 plus and stay there. And then they complain the fuel economy is bad.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:01 AM
CMC

I still love my CTD!!!!
Old 06-13-2005, 08:20 AM
Banned

I'd rather push my CTD than drive a Duramax, even if they all outrun me! Call it pride or just plain, ignorance, whatever.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by grizzlydiesel
Oh boy, are you guys nuts or what. I have a 4x4 long bed diesel 2004 quad cab. This truck is by far the best truck that $$ can buy. Who cares how fast the truck will pull up a hill. If I can travel pulling my toy hauler down the highway at 75 miles and hour at 2200 rpms and get 18 miles to the gallon I am happy. This is what my truck does. It only has 3500 miles so far and from what I understand the mileage is only going to get better.

Ford and Chevy cost tooooooooo much for a lesser truck. [Edited]

75 mph pulling a toy hauler 2200 rpm getting 18 mpg
Old 06-13-2005, 09:41 AM

First to the top of the hill doesn't matter much when there are thousand miles left to go and all but the Cummins are too tired to make the trip. Most of us buy our trucks to get to the end of the journey... Time after time, year after year.

The V's have more and lighter components. Their pistons travel up and down more than ours. They wear out sooner, but they twist tighter. Take your choice.

So... Are we running a race or taking a trip? All I can say is that if you're replacing a vehicle every 100k miles, then I don't see where it much matters if all you want to do is get to the top of the hill first.

Stretch it out past that and it becomes more and more of a question of just getting there. That's when the chances become pretty good that you'll wish you had that big old six up in front.

But then I've only had four CTD's and what do I know?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:58 PM

Ok so I exaggerated
Old 06-13-2005, 12:58 PM

Ok so I exaggerated
Old 06-13-2005, 02:54 PM

There's an echo in here! An old fart told me one time, "fast trucks aren't reliable and reliable trucks aren't fast". I think he would also say to handicap the competition is to admit defeat. The D-max won fair and square. They're faster, cost way more and won't last nearly as long. I can sleep with that. When I trade trucks again, it'll more than likely be my 5th Dodge Cummins. Although it may be a used '01.5 or '02. With a HO/6psd/3.55 ratio minus the new vibration option.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:57 AM

Have him go and get his truck dyno'd to make sure he is putting out the correct power and not have any "injector issues"... I don't doubt (in an auto shoot out) the SD's and DM's are a little faster. I am told (and pretty sure I have felt it) that the Cummins gets defueled during all tranny shifts so that would kill it on this test.

Great test, you guys are crazy... Time to drop in a better TC, valve body and a TC lock up controller, in the truck and try it again.

Thanks for the story...

Dave
Old 06-14-2005, 02:05 PM

Run them with no load on the hill and just see what happens. Maybe the dodge isnt running as it should, because i personally believe they will run right with a new dmax or stroke stock for stock. There shouldnt be much difference I dont think.

Eric
Old 06-14-2005, 05:41 PM

I am not at all suprised the Cummins came in last it's kind of like the tortist and the hare. If you guys have Allison envey remeber that the 47 and 48RE are #1 in aftermarket bullet proof building. With the extra 5K the Durramax cost you could have one sweet ride with some aftermarket tranni building.

And if you are talking about drag races I have yet to see a faster Duramax or Powersroke then a Cummins set up for racing. Twins might change that for the other 2 but the only fast Ford I have seen had a Cummins in it.

The Duramax is a notch quieter than the Cummins that the only adantage it has the new Powerstroke is just a Lemmon hiding behind a slick marketing campaign.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:11 PM

Early last spring when my buisness partner and I were shopping for trucks (just after he blew his 6.5 chevy,we went to ford/chevy/dodge,and drove "like geared trucks" and we did do a 0-60 with all of them (just with a stopwatch),I have forgotton what the excact numbers where,but I remember clearly that the dodge was dead last by a good margin,but I always thought the other two makes would be faster empty,and the dodge would be quicker with a trailer behind,as I said before though,I believe in a motor too motor test the cummins would win hands down,but I dont believe it would get there first.

now if we are talking a "bombed truck",I have personally witnessed a 1 ton dodge dually run the 1/4 mile in 13.55 sec,I havnt even heard of the others doing that.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:19 PM

Well let me add to this thread.....
My wife and I went to a nearby small town for dinner yesterday. Just for fum I drove through the chevy dealer lot to check out the employee pricing on the dmax trucks. We test drove a crew cab w/ Leather 4x4 It felt weak to me. It put me in mind of driving a bucik or something. It defintely did not have a HD feel to it. I tought it was very SOFT. My wife even called it a wimps truck or good for a grand pa HE HE. The one thing I did like was the 60/40 bench leather seats they vere very comfy.
Jim

Quick Reply: duramax surprize