Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

drove 06 duramax for a week

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 02:34 PM
KVD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know the fastest drag trucks or dyno trucks are all dodge cummins.

Maddog, 1000HP plus (street drivin)
Countless dodge drag trucks in the 10s (some in the deep 10s)

I want either a cummins or duramax, I just don't think I could have a powerstroke unless it was 7.3.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:20 PM

maddogs truck street driven, , fast truck but trailer queen from what i seen

Originally Posted by KVD
I don't know the fastest drag trucks or dyno trucks are all dodge cummins.

Maddog, 1000HP plus (street drivin)
Countless dodge drag trucks in the 10s (some in the deep 10s)

I want either a cummins or duramax, I just don't think I could have a powerstroke unless it was 7.3.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:40 PM

Trailer Queen? Now thats funny!
Old 10-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
And the article was advertised by????

All the points are valid here with the difference in transmissions, ratios and the ability to get up and go. Without the Allison, the Dmax is just another V8 and sorry to say... I have yet to see a good comparo on the diesels in a magazine, but thats just another topic.

If you are used to gas engines, then the 6.6 or the 6.0 will feel like home. Big revs, lots of shifting.. If you come from old school Diesel, well.. You know the obvious choice.. V8's are on the drag track, I-6s tow the trailer to get them there...

WELL SAID, DOG!!!!
Old 10-02-2006, 10:35 PM

the allison brings the best out of the duramax, the dodge tranny brings the worst out of the cummins, that has been said more than once around here, nothing new there
Old 10-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And with the OEM Allison you can pound out 800 ft-lbs without mods??? What tranny does that on any of the manufacturers?

Truth is the Big C doesn't need all the gears. I really don't know how the NV4500 brings out the worst, seems to put the pro pullers in the winners circle...
Old 10-03-2006, 07:39 AM
KVD

Fred, didn't maddog drive the truck out of Uath to the TS event in KY earlier this year and dyno in the high 8s (like a spike of 964)??? I mean he is over that now.

It may be a trailered truck now I'm not sure, but it was street truck at one time, right now I have no clue.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by KVD
Fred, didn't maddog drive the truck out of Uath to the TS event in KY earlier this year and dyno in the high 8s (like a spike of 964)??? I mean he is over that now.

It may be a trailered truck now I'm not sure, but it was street truck at one time, right now I have no clue.
I think Fred must have been in the John when Maddog went whistling by his place on the way to Edmonton. He was at the NADP event in August, and even with a broken axle beat his best 1/4 mile time...

Here is the run in Edmonton...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyEJUovqpec
Old 10-03-2006, 12:38 PM

Richard is a great guy with a fast truck, no argument their.... but have you ever asked him about his carnage, or how many spare trannys he takes to the races with him....have you ever seen his tow trailer and what he pulls it with... guess not

i use my truck everyday, on the farm, racing and RVing..... i call that a daily driver
Old 10-03-2006, 02:08 PM
KVD

Naw I can't say I would know him if he walked by right now thats the reason I wasn't sure if it was a trailer truck or not.

What I orginialy said was, right now the top HP trucks, (that covers everything, street drivin, drag race only, sled whatever) are cummins powered.

Like I said, I love the cummins, I love the duramax they both are very good motors both able to put down a lot of horsepower, more than any powerstroke I know of right now.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:48 PM

I think Fred must have been in the John when Maddog went whistling by his place on the way to Edmonton. He was at the NADP event in August, and even with a broken axle beat his best 1/4 mile time...

Here is the run in Edmonton...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyEJUovqpec
Maddog trailered his truck to edmonton.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:50 PM

And the article was advertised by????

All the points are valid here with the difference in transmissions, ratios and the ability to get up and go. Without the Allison, the Dmax is just another V8 and sorry to say... I have yet to see a good comparo on the diesels in a magazine, but thats just another topic.

If you are used to gas engines, then the 6.6 or the 6.0 will feel like home. Big revs, lots of shifting.. If you come from old school Diesel, well.. You know the obvious choice.. V8's are on the drag track, I-6s tow the trailer to get them there...
Wow you come up with alot of excuses. most interesting part is the chev makes peak torque at a lower rpm than the almighty cummins.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:55 PM

Perhaps one day the DuraMax will achieve the same reputation as the venerable Cummins.... until then, it will be difficult for the Chevy crowd to claim "King of the Mountain".
Old 10-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by summit889
Maddog trailered his truck to edmonton.

I stand corrected and I appologize for the poor information... The last I saw of it, it was a road ready machine.

I have still to see a DM, trailered or otherwise that can put down those times or Hp numbers.

Excuses for what??? Only took 10 years for GM to make the same power I got... (well minus about 150ft-lbs..)
Old 10-03-2006, 06:39 PM

it pulled up to edmonton on a trailer but the first thing he did was go and pull the seats out. word was he still drives it around town but just hauled to this event. just what i over heard nothing forsure there

Quick Reply: drove 06 duramax for a week