General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Dodge warranty bulletin

Old 08-25-2005, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Dodge warranty bulletin

was in the parts dept of my dealer today when i noticed a bulletin on the wall. Dodge will not or will fight any problems that are caused by using an oil filter or any other filter products that they do not approve. Their was a list of approved filters with this bulletin. They were mostly from DC and Cummins and i think that their were 3 other brands that were approved. Basically what i was told was that if you did not run these filters and something happened that might have been caused by your filter it was not going to be covered by them reguardless. Thought i would share this info.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a good thing the law supersedes Chrysler issued bulletins ...
Old 08-25-2005, 10:23 PM
Banned

just run the fleetguard stratapore and you'll never have to worry. just dont be caught with an orange one that starts with an F. but that has been discussed here before many times.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:06 AM

Originally posted by dodgezilla04
just run the fleetguard stratapore and you'll never have to worry. just dont be caught with an orange one that starts with an F. but that has been discussed here before many times.
YEA, I honestly really dont know whats wrong with those, run em on my gassers, Should I not? But dont worry, only the Stratopore for my fuel/oil filters. Kinda scared to search for the "F" word on here!
Old 08-26-2005, 06:10 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Looks like this?

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/09-004-01.htm

Part Number... Manufacturer
05016547........AC Mopar
LF3894 ...........Fleetguard Stratopore
LF3552 ...........Fleetguard Microglass
LF3949........... Fleetguard Cellulose
3937695 .........Cummins Cellulose
FL896 .............MotorCraft Cellulose
L45335........... Purolator Cellulose
PF1070 ...........AC Delco Cellulose
Old 08-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Ben

The construction or lack of, concerning the Fram's are enough to keep me away.

My buddy next door just bought a 2k Cummins. It came with a Fram on it. Oil and filter were new, but I told him we'd put a Stratapore on.

I was amazed at how much the Fram DEFORMED trying to get it off. My thumbs put 2 huge dents in it and the strap wrench severly crushed it. Nice.

No Fram for me or my friends.

The Strats are cheap enough from Geno's......
Old 08-26-2005, 12:14 PM

I only use Fleetguard Stratapore myself, and would suggest to anyone else exactly the same based on information gleened over these and other forums.

However, having said that, no car company can specify a particular manufacturer as being inadequate for service parts if that companies parts meet all the applicable standards and criteria. Those are the only things that matter from the laws point of view. If the Fram filters meet all of the applicabable specifications, they are deemed adequate. Dodge "bulletins" not withstanding ...
Old 08-26-2005, 12:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Berak
However, having said that, no car company can specify a particular manufacturer as being inadequate for service parts if that companies parts meet all the applicable standards and criteria. Those are the only things that matter from the laws point of view. If the Fram filters meet all of the applicabable specifications, they are deemed adequate. Dodge "bulletins" not withstanding ...
Although 3rd party aftermarket replacement parts may enjoy Magnusson-Moss Act protection, the reality is that DaimlerChrysler has more lawyers and deeper pockets than I do, so is it REALLY worth it in terms of risk/reward to use a Fram or other "not listed" filter? For me - the answer is no. Why even make it an issue when it's so easy to use the Fleetguard Stratopore?

Rusty
Old 08-26-2005, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey i just thought it was BS when i saw it but i thought i would pass the info tho
Old 08-26-2005, 04:06 PM

I don't have time to hunt it down right now but there was a guy on the web that buys different name-brand oil filters, cuts them open and photographs the innards for all the world to see! SCARY!

K
Old 08-26-2005, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by SoTexRattler
I don't have time to hunt it down right now but there was a guy on the web that buys different name-brand oil filters, cuts them open and photographs the innards for all the world to see! SCARY!

K
I have seen that website but I missed the part where he tested them as oil filters. You can cut a Dodge open easier than you can cut a tank open but it doesn't make the tank the vehicle of choice on the road.

An oil filter is made to filter oil. The internal construction's worthiness should only be questioned if there is a history of failure or positive proof it has a problem and causes issues.

From the TSB
"Neoprene compounds used internally in the manufacture of oil filters not recommended by DaimlerChrysler may separate from the filter, lodge in the piston cooling nozzle, and can fail the engine." The FRAM doesn't have this inside.

They don't recommend a FP guage either. Nor do they think the lift pump or VP44 is a problem.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by chasd60
[B]
They don't recommend a FP guage either. ]
but a FP guage wont immobilize your truck. They dont recommend a FP guage cause they want to sell you yet another VP-44
Old 08-26-2005, 07:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The bulletin you saw was very old. After Fram threatened to take DC to court over it they canceled the TSB, you can use any filter you want and still be under warranty.

from the August 2002 Cummins BulletinĀ®

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
It has been brought to our attention that a few DaimlerChrysler service
technicians are recommending that the FRAM PH3976 filter not be used on
Daimler Chrysler vehicles with the Cummins 5.9L Turbo Diesel engine and
that use of these filters can cause damage to the engine. Daimler Chrysler
has informed us that they released a Technical Service Bulletin to their
dealerships communicating a potential contamination issue and recommending
the use of only Fleetguard manufactured filters.
FRAM has been selling PH3976 filter for this engine application since the
engine platform launch and it has maintained an extremely reliable service
record. Late in 2000, Cummins and Daimler Chrysler brought to our
attention a low incidence failure mode in their Cummins 5.9L Turbo Diesel
engine of the piston cooling nozzle plugging, resulting in engine failure.
The plugging was caused by contaminates lodging in the nozzle. The
contaminants included metal chips, calcium carbonate, polyethylene, and
styrene butadiene that are not associated with filter manufacture, and a
neoprene compound, which is used as a sealant on the tapping plate of the
filter. There were also several other engine warranty issues determined
unrelated to the piston cooling nozzle plugging that were part of the
engine failure sample. A small amount of neoprene rubber was used in the
FRAM filter as a sealant.

Throughout our investigation with Cummins and DaimlerChrysler on various
engine failures, no conclusive evidence was found to assign cause to
filters or other contamination sources. However, driven to satisfy our
customers, the FRAM engineering team made modifications to the design
eliminating the neoprene and expedited development and manufacturing to
release a revised filter model number to PH3976A. With the design change
on the PH3976A completely removing the use of neoprene, there is
absolutely no validity in comments that the Fram filter should not be used
for this application or that it may cause engine failures associated with
plugged nozzles.
The Honeywell Consumer Products Group warranty policy also protects the
consumer if it is determined that a FRAM filter is responsible for damage
to an engine due to defects in design or workmanship. This information
should be openly conveyed to our customers if they have any concerns or
apprehension about using a FRAM filter for this application.

I wouldn't use a Fram because I thought it might fall apart but rather because they are cheap.
One thing I absolutely guarantee is if your oil filter ever fell apart and trashed your engine you would have a much easier time getting Fram to honor it's warranty than Fleetguard.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:21 PM

Although 3rd party aftermarket replacement parts may enjoy Magnusson-Moss Act protection, the reality is that DaimlerChrysler has more lawyers and deeper pockets than I do, so is it REALLY worth it in terms of risk/reward to use a Fram or other "not listed" filter? For me - the answer is no. Why even make it an issue when it's so easy to use the Fleetguard Stratopore?
Rusty, that's exactly why I stated the first part of my post which you omitted. I wouldn't recommend trying to save a few $$ (literally) for the possible headache.

One thing I absolutely guarantee is if your oil filter ever fell apart and trashed your engine you would have a much easier time getting Fram to honor it's warranty than Fleetguard.
infidel, I'd like to know why you have this opinion? Is it based on anything factual?? And here's the real problem getting any manufacturer to "own up" to those kind of warranties. Proof. Their experts will be available to find credible doubt with any findings. There will likely be no conclusive proof, only theories. Witness the statement from Fram you just posted. Did they "own up" to the failed engine? Nope. But they changed their manufacturing "just in case". The real question is, where did all that leave the owner of that truck? I wouldn't be surprised if Chrysler didn't cover it either, blaming Fram.

In the end, I always buy the best equipment (Cummins) and use the best service parts / fluids I can within reasonable cost and hope I never need any of their warrantees cause I don't want the headache.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:29 PM

Fleetguard stratapore is the way to go

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge warranty bulletin