General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

dodge COMBATT truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dodge COMBATT truck

just thought i would share some neat pics of the cummins ram in the military.

and a little info.

The military version of the Chrysler Group's Dodge Ram pickup features a state-of-the-art hydro-pneumatic suspension system able to negotiate severe off-road terrain. This unique suspension replaces the front coil springs and shock absorbers with hydropneumatic cylinders; the rear leaf springs and shock absorbers are replaced with a multilink suspension and hydropneumatic cylinders.

Benefits include desired cornering stiffness, avoiding the undesirable axle-articulation limitations of a conventional torsional stabilizer bar; load leveling by adjusting the vehicle body to a level attitude, regardless of load distribution, which keeps headlight beams at the proper height and maintains the chosen suspension-jounce travel for absorbing rough-road inputs; maximum wheel/axle-articulation travel that permits wheels to travel the full extent of designed travel range, regardless of the circumstances (for example, left front wheel fully up, right front wheel fully down, left rear wheel fully down, right rear wheel fully up); variable ground clearance that enables the driver to change the vehicle's body height relative to the ground, such as lowered to facilitate loading cargo or personnel or raised to maneuver over obstacles or deep snow, water, or mud; near equal wheel loading that's achieved because the hydraulic cylinders are interconnected, so loads at the four tires are automatically balanced thereby improving traction.
Attached Thumbnails dodge COMBATT truck-combata4.jpg   dodge COMBATT truck-combatb4.jpg   dodge COMBATT truck-combatt4.jpg   dodge COMBATT truck-dodge_ram_combatt.jpg  
Old 10-01-2009, 06:21 AM

do you know how many of these are actually in service
Old 10-01-2009, 10:12 AM

wow that is a sharp looking truck.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:41 PM

More info http://www.autoweb.com/content/resea...cle&aid=138525
Old 10-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Banned

It would be nice if they let me spend more of my money on my truck instead of theirs,lol.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:21 PM

this idea has been around for years, notice the dodge is a 99' model,

my son's a Ranger with 8 years of service, leads a Scout Team, been to Iraq, Bragg, Benning, Riley and Knox

he's never seen one in use, I think they're all still prototypes with no contracts awarded to anyone, yet

too bad as I'd bet there would be a bunch of US at that military surplus auction!!!

the article says the techology would be available to the public in 04' but to my knowledge it never materialized, too bad for us

remember the Cummins T-Rex? Damm I wanted one of those!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by larrybartlett
remember the Cummins T-Rex? Damm I wanted one of those!!!
Unfortunately, T-Rex was a V-10. http://dodgeram.org/ki4cy/ram_picts/Trex.htm
Old 10-03-2009, 12:45 PM

I read an article back in the 90's or early 2000's that said the government asked our automakers to design some military vehicles off existing platforms. That is the dodge but all 3 had designs.

They did it so we could quickly gear up incase of a large scale war. Look at how small Iraq is and how hard of a time we had just getting up armored Humvees over there.