Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Dodge 1500 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hearrd it tooo....They are gonna use a Hemi to start the cummins...
Old 11-18-2004, 09:52 AM

I don't see it as taking market share away from the Hemi powered trucks. If that were the case, you wouldn't seen 2500's and 3500's running around with the Hemi V8's and V10's. The fact is, I JUST saw my first 3rd-gen 2500 CTD Sunday. You can't swing a dead cat and not hit an 8mpg V10 3500 or an 11mpg V8 2500 around here.
But I think that Chrysler "gets it" that while hybrid technology might be a good idea for commuters and runabouts but for people who want to WORK with their trucks and get both decent mileage and reliability, diesel technology IS the future. In 2 years, we'll have clean diesel technology to boot. I'll bet anything that my diesel is cleaner NOW than half the older trucks on the road around here. And I am burning less natural resources than they are by getting better mileage and having to change my oil less frequently.
A GM-blooded buddy of mine is lamenting GM's apparent abandonment of diesel technology in it's future trucks in favor of it's hybrid concept.
Putting a consumer-sized diesel in a 1/2 ton truck opens the technology up to a WHOLE 'nother population segment who doesn't have want or need for a big HD 3/4 or 1-ton truck. Maybe the guy who pulls a camper or a 25' fishing boat and is sick of getting 10mpg with his 305 Cheby or his 5.4l Ferd.
I think that Chrysler's relationship with Mercedes is where the direction is coming from. The installation of a V6 deisel in the Liberty is a prime example. No one outside the US does diesel as well as Mercedes does. They've been doing it longer than practically anyone else.
We'll see. But I for one am glad SOMEONE here is doing it. Perhaps Ford will finally get sick of dealing with it's own failures in diesel design and execution that it will team up with CAT or let International do what it does best....

We'll see...
Old 11-18-2004, 12:02 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't see a 1500 CTD cutting into the hemi sales by too much. Where I live, most truck buyers still can't wrap their heads around the idea of owning a diesel truck - they just don't like them. I know several people that would be interested in a smaller lighter diesel truck that is less exspensive. Here, a loaded 2500 CTD will run $50,000+, where as a loaded 1500 hemi is around $36,000. The price difference is more than the cost of the diesel option if all you want is 1500 but are forced to step up to the 2500 platform just to get the diesel. Who says the benefits of a diesel should be reserved to 3/4 ton and up trucks? Most people seem to think that the only reason to buy a diesel truck is to haul heavy weights. We, more than anybody, know that is but one reason - not the only reason to buy a diesel. I drive mine everyday back and forth to work because it is economical (and fun ). I would never even consider driving a gas truck everyday. My daily driver does it all for me - with one vehicle.

Ok, I'm rambling too

My point: I don't think DC would care if a 1500 CTD cuts into hemi sales. They win either way - they are selling a truck no matter what.

Just some .02
Old 11-18-2004, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Shovelhead Nostalga aside, the reason the dealers have so many Hemis on the lots is they suck,.....fuel that is.
Almost as bad as the V-10's!
Old 11-18-2004, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by CTD NUT
I don't see a 1500 CTD cutting into the hemi sales by too much. Where I live, most truck buyers still can't wrap their heads around the idea of owning a diesel truck - they just don't like them. I know several people that would be interested in a smaller lighter diesel truck that is less exspensive. Here, a loaded 2500 CTD will run $50,000+, where as a loaded 1500 hemi is around $36,000. The price difference is more than the cost of the diesel option if all you want is 1500 but are forced to step up to the 2500 platform just to get the diesel. Who says the benefits of a diesel should be reserved to 3/4 ton and up trucks? Most people seem to think that the only reason to buy a diesel truck is to haul heavy weights. We, more than anybody, know that is but one reason - not the only reason to buy a diesel.
Just like the Liberty diesel out soon! A 1500 diesel would be the next logical step-up for those that can't afford a 2500/3500 or who don't tow.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:38 AM

If they did come out with it, I'd trade my 3500 for it in a heartbeat. I don't tow any more, and the only reason I'm hanging on to it is the major "it's paid for" factor. If I could get a 1500 with a Cummins, I'd snag it in a hurry!
Old 11-19-2004, 07:14 AM

My only concern is that it's a new engine. The 5.9l straight 6 is about as mature a platform as there is.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by xp8103
My only concern is that it's a new engine.
So? They'll just intro them in Mexico for about two years of testing before they bring them here.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:59 PM

[ 83000 already 1 lift pump and it has started smoking and missing bad at start up. Oh yes I pulled the same 5th wheel camper with it. If it had 410 gears like my dodge I would probibly stil own it.
Gcookieman [/B][/QUOTE]

You might want to inspect the flexable fuel lines for leaks. They develop leaks and suck air into the fuel, causing your symptoms. Fuel does not leak out, the holes are too small, but will allow air to be sucked into the fuel supply. It may also just be a slightly loose fitting, but fuel would seep out overnight and leave evidence.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by Journier
hmm?

the hemi's are all thats driven around the area by me, the lots just bring them in and sell them just like that....

the crazyness extends right into the 3500's.... dually.. ive seen 5 hemi powered DUALLY 3500's now.... is that a waste or what!!!
Moving from TX to IL I got a rude awakening. Diesel trucks are like leppars up here. No body wants them, dealers charge premiums and won't budge. I don't get it. I've stayed right with many a hemi on the hwy, reading 18.6 mpg on the overhead... Don't really see anyone working their trucks either - in relation to TX. Just an observation, not saying one state is better than the other... MPGs just getting better and better 4400 mi, 6 wks old (2 of those weeks in the shop for new driveshafts that still vibrate ) Oil @ 3k miles 7 gal of used oil consumed in fuel tank. Was reading 19.5 mpg on trip to TX but couldn't keep my foot outta it in MO and dropped the actual MPG to 16.7 avg'ing 85-90 mph. These things really seem to suck the fuel over 2100 rpm - seems to be RPM related not speed related - There is almost 2 mpg diff between 2100 rpm and 2250 rpm (only about 7 mph diff). I'm thinking 35" tires and my 3.73's and I'll run 80's at 19+ mpg

Sorry for the ramble - I'm just so happy/excited!
Old 11-20-2004, 09:46 AM

I hope they do release it, but I'm wondering why a v8. Like cummins says, the isb motor has fewer moving parts to break because it's a 6 cylinder. Why introduce more moving parts for a lighter duty engine?

Also, MOST v8 diesels aren't the longest lasting diesels out there. Look at what most diesels are in heavy duty applications-the cylinders are in a row, regardless of how many cylinders there are.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by FastZilla
Moving from TX to IL I got a rude awakening. Diesel trucks are like leppars up here. No body wants them, dealers charge premiums and won't budge. I don't get it. I've stayed right with many a hemi on the hwy, reading 18.6 mpg on the overhead... Don't really see anyone working their trucks either - in relation to TX. Just an observation, not saying one state is better than the other... MPGs just getting better and better 4400 mi, 6 wks old (2 of those weeks in the shop for new driveshafts that still vibrate ) Oil @ 3k miles 7 gal of used oil consumed in fuel tank. Was reading 19.5 mpg on trip to TX but couldn't keep my foot outta it in MO and dropped the actual MPG to 16.7 avg'ing 85-90 mph. These things really seem to suck the fuel over 2100 rpm - seems to be RPM related not speed related - There is almost 2 mpg diff between 2100 rpm and 2250 rpm (only about 7 mph diff). I'm thinking 35" tires and my 3.73's and I'll run 80's at 19+ mpg

Sorry for the ramble - I'm just so happy/excited!
Depends on where you are in the metro area. I drove diesel up there for many years, when you couldn't find stations that would sell the fuel. Had to get an account with a supplier. a) You'll get better mileage with narrower tires, than oversize. b) Yepper, anything over 2100 rpm is a fuel waster, esp if you're not towing. c) If you're interested in changing out wheels, go up in size to 19.5" and F/G/H ratings. But, you're gonna add more weight. d) The slower you drive the better the economy and the longer the engine/tranny will last.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:17 PM
Banned

V-8's allow for higher redlines and higher powerbands- they generate horesower up high, like a gasser. The V-8 would hopefully not be marketed as a worker engine- rather, I pray to god they design and market it as a high performance option. Then, after it takes off, they'll put the critter into a Chrysler 300 AND MY DREAMS WILL COME TRUE!
Old 11-20-2004, 07:27 PM

I would buy one. I would love to have the ride of a 1/2 ton and the benefits of a diesel in one package.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:40 PM

If it was an inline 6........Maybe. But the thought of a high reving V-8 diesel just dont appeal to me. Most people are more farmiliar with gassers, and most would PROBABLY still stay with a gasser just because the hemi will still probably be faster, and more driveable/quiet anyway. Im sure they would sell quite a few, but i personally wouldnt want one at all unless it was an inline 6. Go buy a 6.0l ford if you want a high revving diesel. Plus, it wont have near the longevity of the 5.9 Cummins in our trucks because its a V-8. I would imagine it would be fairly wuick with a box, but i still dont think it would last that long because its a V-8. Also, the 1500's and 2500's dont have all that big of a price range gap if you ask me; especially if your comparing gas to gas. I pull, so i need a 2500 and i personally dont like the way the 1500's look or the independent front suspension on the new ones. I dont know, but i just wouldnt want one, although i know there are many that would.

Eric

Quick Reply: Dodge 1500 Diesel