General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Diesel generator for emergency home power

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 01:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Diesel generator for emergency home power

With all the bad weather I decided I should probably look into this but I can't find anything online. I've talked to a couple of guys I know out here and they told me the units they purchased were from Lowe's, but all I see on there are natural gas or gasoline.

Does anyone have emergency backup power at home run by diesel?

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a Kipor Diesel. It's not permanently wired in. Just in the garage fueled up and ready.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:00 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I built one with a 5 HP Kubota Diesel and a Grainger generator head. So did my Dad.

They put out a reliable 2000 watts for the emergency stuff like the fridge an electric frying pan, some lights etc.

Diesel is definately the way to go because they can sit for a long time and still have no fuel problems. In that sense they are way better than gas. But they are also harder to turn over for starting. Ours have recoil starters and one was converted to start with a powerful battery drill.

Another way, if you have a tractor is a PTO generator. This may be the best of all because the tractor starts reliably and the genny can have a lot of power for running anything you want. Or even welding out in the field away from your shop. And, you only have to buy the generator because you already have the engine.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kubota makes some nice lower cost 6 - 45KW diesel gensets. I've seen several for critical power applications at hospitals, banks, nursing homes, etc... Typical 35KW with enclosure will run ya about $15K
Old 02-10-2010, 04:28 PM

Cummins and Caterpillar also manufacture 20K and up diesel gensets. The 30K Cummins w/4BT3.3 and transfer switch priced around 15K. Ed B
Old 02-10-2010, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IIRC I've seen new natural gas units that will power the whole house and hook up to your natural gas line priced under $2000.00.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:29 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So many new houses are getting "emergency" backup generators. Sizing is a big deal. Seems most of them are set up to run every single thing in the house and everything they think they might add later including the arc welder!

I recently saw one with a big block Ford 460 V8 and a 4" natural gas line piped to it! Just for "emergencies" .

First define what you really need to run and whether or not you want to arc weld and run the electric dryer and electric oven, all at the same during a power failure.

The more complicated you make it with automatic switching and automatic starting, the more maintanance you must do on a regular basis. There are companies that will come and test them regularly if needed and there are generators that start up and test themselves regualrly if that's waht you want.

I lke the simpler is better method and just big enough to run the essentials. The cost and hassle is far less. But, some areas almost never have power failures and some have them a lot.

My next one, for my new place, will be a PTO gen on my 29 HP diesel tractor.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Check into Generac Diesel generators. That is what we use on our cellsites. 20KW to 30KW. We also have propane Generacs, don't care for those at all. Very loud.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scout4bta
type in "diesel home standby generators" on Google.
Ahh sweet, I'll do the search today.

Basically I'm looking for something around 12KW that will tie into the house power for the kitchen, garage, laundry room, HVAC, and living room. It's enough to keep heat on in the winter and keep the freezer cold in the summer, plus run a few other appliances until power comes back on.

I'll do some more internet searching today ..... thanks for the help gents.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:39 AM

i have a detroit diesel-powered 20kw genset for home backup. it sits in my little shed, and sips fuel out of 2 55gal barrels. it was about $2400, and can run indefinitly as long as you have enough fuel. this is not a "home depot generator". it weighs almost 3500lbs. good bang forr the buck, if ya ask me.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:07 AM

Northern tool has them.
A 6500 for $3300
Actually two of them. One is only $1300
then a 5500 for $1300
Old 02-13-2010, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Which ever generator you get make sure you have a good infallible transfer switch, you don't to be responsible for electrocuting some unsuspecting lineman working on a supposedly dead line, your tiny little 120/240-volt 2,000 watt generator back feeding the pole-pig at the head of the drop can produce usually 7,200 or 14,400 volts back into the dead line.

Some people will make up a cord so they can plug their 120/240-volt generator into the electric dryer recieptld to back feed the house wiring after tripping the main breaker and all of the branch circuits then they turn back on the circuits for the lights and ect.

Do not do this, it is very very dangerous for the reason you can back feed the utility if you forget to trip the main, if the line is dead and nobody gets electrocuted you will be fine UNTIL the power comes back on and is now feeding your generator and it explodes and burns your house down. Just trying to make a point.

You can get an automatic transfer switch that mounts between the watt-hour meter and the meter hub and is installed by your local poco that is a neat little package.

I am also on this forum if you have any questions about generators.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Just be careful

Jim
Old 02-13-2010, 09:46 AM

How do you store diesel fuel long term. I had huge problem with this on my last warehouse. My new facility uses natural gas fueled engines (351 Ford Turbo).

I bought a 8500 watt Huskavana and converted it to natural gas. Starts on first pull even if it has been sitting for over a year........
Old 02-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Kind of on topic here...
What about having our truck do the power supply? Is there a way to start the truck and use our engine to power the house? Maybe its too far reaching or a crazy question but if I already have a 100 gallon slip tank as well as the factory tank and a large Cummins engine there...can I/we tap into that for the power? I know that it may not be feasable all the time if the truck is needed elsewhere but if theres an outage and you have the hook ups ready...?

Scotty

Quick Reply: Diesel generator for emergency home power