General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Diesel-electric ram hybrid going into production.

Old 01-23-2004, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Diesel-electric ram hybrid going into production.

I just got my Petersens 4 wheel and off road magazine today, and I thought i would share what it said with you guys. Here it is:

Dodge will offer a diesel-electric ram hybrid pickup, the Ram HEV, first to the military, and then to the general public. Expect the consumer version, called the Contractor Special, late in 2004 as a 05 model. Like the silverado mild hybrid, the Ram powertrain uses an electric motor between the engine(a Cummins turbodiesel) and the transmission to operate a stop/start system, and to generate power. The military version will also utilize the motor to operate the truck in "stealth" mode.

They also show a picture of the truck, and it looks just like the 03/04's now, but the center caps look different to me. They look like the front dually centercaps or something. I would rather have just a straight diesel truck myself, but i thought this was kind of interesting. Tell me what you think guys.

Eric
Old 01-23-2004, 06:12 PM

I think it's a great idea, if it:

1) Doesn't cost too much more than the standard diesel.

2) Doesn't decrease the realibility of the vehicle and it works reliably and efficiently.

3) Is offered with a diesel that is just as powerful as any other diesel they are offering at the time.

4) Allows me to use it as an electric AC supply like a backup generator. Around here my power goes out several times a year at least and being able to run my truck as a back up generator would be convenient and very handy.

If it does all that, what's not to love?
Old 01-23-2004, 09:05 PM
DPG

What Berak said. I especially like the idea of a back-up generator, if, in fact, it can be used that way. What a concept!

DeWain
Old 01-23-2004, 09:31 PM

Yeah, i can definatley see where it would be pretty nice sometimes. I bet it would get awesome fuel mileage too.

Eric
Old 01-23-2004, 10:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Dodge's ad for the hybrid a couple years ago showed a guy arc welding and another using a skill saw powered off the truck at the same time.
I know it's just an ad but if that's the case running a house off one shouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:13 AM

great idea if all the above apply.
anything to reduce our dependency on foreign oil. approve the use of bio would be nice too.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:12 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
One of the main advantages of this electric drive between engine and tranny is that you have loads of torque from standstill. If you've ever driven a Toyota Prius ( small,butt ugly hybrid car) you know what I mean. It will shoot out of the hole really amazing for that little power it has.
You could also use a bigger turbo on this vehicle since instant spoolup isn't necessary any more- the electric will push in some hp instantaneously and when the engine gets up it can act as a charger.

AlpineRAM
Old 01-24-2004, 08:24 PM

New idea or not so new?
Look at the train locomotives, and the giant quary trucks....Just an idea coming many years later than it should???????
Old 01-24-2004, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by AlpineRAM
One of the main advantages of this electric drive between engine and tranny is that you have loads of torque from standstill. If you've ever driven a Toyota Prius ( small,butt ugly hybrid car) you know what I mean. It will shoot out of the hole really amazing for that little power it has.
You could also use a bigger turbo on this vehicle since instant spoolup isn't necessary any more- the electric will push in some hp instantaneously and when the engine gets up it can act as a charger.

AlpineRAM
You got it Alpine.

Best part is 100% torque at zero RPM , very cool!!

This is the wave of the future for sure. Cant wait till they have a motor on each wheel and do away with the "drive train" pretty much all together. True 4 wheel drive and no axles to deal with. Can you say mega ground clearance!! hehe

Jason
Old 01-24-2004, 09:00 PM

Without the drivetrain like you have, unless you paid a fortune in fuel, and buying cost you would have to have an electric motor on each wheel. Ill stick with a single cummins that will do everything i want it too. I bet the new truck with the aid of the electric motor taking off, will probably walk sideways with you while burning both rears.

Eric
Old 01-24-2004, 09:01 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by DPG
What Berak said. I especially like the idea of a back-up generator, if, in fact, it can be used that way. What a concept!

DeWain
Yep, this would be cool. You could take it anywhere and run just about anything. Great for Rv'ers.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:02 PM

There are pros and cons to this. All the pros listed above. The major con is the lack of efficiency if set up like the locomotives. The hybrid cars are setup differently.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:49 AM

When I saw an article on this a couple months back, it did say it would have a generator. That's why where were going to call it the Contractor Special as when your at a worksite, there may not be any power available other then a generator you bring with you.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by AlpineRAM

AlpineRAM
It was the same for the GMEV. Series wound motor = Max torque at zero RPM.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:06 AM

Max torque at zero RPM . . . . fantastic trick. Then the engine/motor doesn't have to be running to get anywhere? Theoretically-infinite mpg? 99 on the overhead console? Or is that max torque at one RPM?

If max torque at one RPM (600 lbs.), towing 11K lbs., then new clutch? Don't think the stock units would handle it. Weak clutch problems solved? Or would we all have to go with (gasp) an automatic?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diesel-electric ram hybrid going into production.