General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Which diesel?

Old 02-28-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which diesel?

I am in the middle of selling my 06' hemi, and I am looking to get back into the diesel world, i have a 93' back at home (active duty air force) that i dont want to have down here in texas. I have about $15000 to spend on a new truck (loan of coursse) and ive done a lot of research and got it narrowed down to what i want but i would like some of your opinions on what would be best for me.

I like to wrench on my own trucks, but if theres a repair that cant be done in a parking lot i will have to take it to a mechanic to have the work done because i dont have access to a personal shop. I need this truck to be able to drive an 1800 mile round trip 1-2 times a year, and its going to be my only vehicle/daily driver.

I know the 98' qcsb 12v is going to be the holy grail, but all the ones i can find are over 200k miles and they want at least $10-12 grand for it. Id like to avoid the vp44's as much as possible because my primary concern is reliability, unless you can convince me otherwise. That leaves the 03-04.5 commonrail, and from what i understand itll be the most comfortable with the newest technology and creature comforts, and wont be too much of a step down from what i currently own, but would a commonrail with around 175k miles be okay or is that too many miles? is the extra $2-4 grand i spend on the commonrail going to be worth it?

So my question is, based off of what i want/need what do you think would be my best bet for under $15000 that would be reliable enough for the next three years, and be a good daily driver?
Old 02-28-2015, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Dodgediesel513:

First of all, WELCOME to DTR Sir!

To answer some of your questions, I agree that the 96-98 Dodge CTD 12 valve trucks are the best in terms of simplicity and longevity. Especially the year you mentioned. I also agree with you that ALL of the 1998.5-2002 Dodge CTD 24 valve trucks with the VP-44 pumps should be avoided. I had a 2002 and had ALOT of trouble with it!

As you said, the 2003-2004 and 2006 Dodge CTD CR Trucks are very good vehicles! I had a 2006 that gave me very good service with very few problems.
I only sold it because it had almost 200,000 miles and I wanted a new truck. With that being said, I wouldn't be afraid of a 3rd Gen CR Dodge as long as it had been taken good care of. Check with CarFax when you find one and you can also have someone who works for Dodge run the VIN number to see what kind of repairs and maintenance have been done on the vehicle.
You can usually look them over and see what type of care they have had from the previous owner.

Anyway,....good luck and welcome aboard!

--------
John_P
Old 02-28-2015, 06:00 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I almost didn't buy another Dodge because of problems with my '98.5.
My '07 has been great aside from the steering issues which have largely eliminated with updated factory/aftermarket parts.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:41 AM

well thank you very much for the replies and the welcome. Ill definitely consider it, but are there any other opinions out there?
Old 03-05-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Again welcome to DTR. Alot of good info in this site from experienced people to the ones who need to learn from them, as I have.
What brings to question when deciding on a Dodge Ram is what do you want to do with it? Pull a trailer, haul, or hot rod it.
Myself I looked for something to pull a trailer {fifthwheel} that would have the HP and gears to do it. I opted for a manual six speed, added a few goodies and am very satisified with the outcome. My stock clutch was just hardly making the pull with the programmer so I got a heavy duty one from South Bend. Big difference. Others will reply with what they have done and good suggestions.
Thanks for your service from one vet to another ,Army {2/13/67-2/1373}.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:30 PM

I've have had them all and never had any trouble with any of them. I would stay away from a auto.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:27 AM

to answer what im going to do with it... for the next 3 or so years its going to be a daily driver, and then after that im going to continue driving it but im also going to gradually build it up to a drag/sled pulling truck. no heavy towing in the near future but things can change.

and why exactly stay away from an auto? i know that they are more expensive to beef up and to rebuild and whatnot, but from what i understand manuals would be bad for racing/sled pulling, am i wrong?

And thank you reelay, thank you for your service as well.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dodgediesel513
to answer what im going to do with it... for the next 3 or so years its going to be a daily driver, and then after that im going to continue driving it but im also going to gradually build it up to a drag/sled pulling truck. no heavy towing in the near future but things can change.

and why exactly stay away from an auto? i know that they are more expensive to beef up and to rebuild and whatnot, but from what i understand manuals would be bad for racing/sled pulling, am i wrong?

-------------------------------------------------------
Dodgediesel513:

No offense to him, but I will tell you I disagree with RAMRODD about "staying away from the auto transmissions" in the Dodge CTD Pickups. In light of what I read from you on what you plan to do with your truck, the Dodge CTD 47RE or Dodge CTD CR 48RE can be "beefed up" to handle ALOT of horespower and torque! I am a great example of that. My 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve has put down as much as 900 H.P./1600 TQ with little to no problems. There are also Dodge CTD Pro-Street NHRDA Drag Trucks that run both those transmissions with 1500-1800 H.P. Now, the cost to build an auto on
a Dodge CTD is higher than a manual 6-speed NV5600 or G56 but the manuals
have their own problems as well.

Personally, I wouldn't have a G56 as I have seen plenty of them fail! The NV5600 manuals are HEAVY and TOUGH but like the autos they have to be "beefed up" with heavier clutches, flywheels and gear sets to take the abuse of sled pulling. My Son John Jr. has a NV5600 in his 2004 Dodge CTD CR and regularly drag races with that transmission and has had amost no issues with it. However, he has a Haisley Street/Strip Dual Disc Clutch and flywheel along with beefed up gears and it has performed well for him. His truck is at about 600 H.P.

Anyway,....I wouldn't be scared of a Dodge CTD 47RE or 48RE auto.

--------
John_P
Old 03-07-2015, 11:57 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
You may be able to find one with a trans already beefed up.

As for the vp trucks, there are thousands out there that are still running the original vp, and thousands that aren't....

If you like to wrench I'd go 96-98 12v.

200,000 miles is nothing for a maintained B-series Cummins,

200K on a Dodge chassis, on the other hand!!!!

My advice is look at as many as you can, yours will eventually show up. Mine was 3 years old with 43K miles on it, 21 grand.....
Old 03-14-2015, 11:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The 2001.5 VP truck in my sig has been very reliable. I've never had a problem with the VP44. I tapped the wire for the Edge J/A almost as soon as I got it and put in a booster fuel pump on the frame rail. Most VP44s fail from lack of fuel due to a failed supply pump. After putting in the J/A I started slipping the tranny so I spent almost $3000 on tranny stuff. After that it ran awesome and still does. Unfortunatly that club cab is too small for three kids.

Next truck was a 2003 dually 6spd, it was the HEAVY HAULER. 4.10s, HD clutch, Juice J/A with a 2006 turbo, it pulled like a freight train. Then I sold our big 5th wheel and didn't need a dually. Wasn't great for a dailly driver, stick was annoying in traffic and the dually wasn't fun to park. Was fine as a second vehicle.

The 2006 I have now is a SRW, short box, auto. Wife doesn't mind driving it all, she actually said she like it better than her Durango. Its easy to drive and park. But I miss the 4.10s and stick whenever I tow. Doesn't have nearly the grunt the 2003 did. When I get the time/money I've going to put some mods into the auto tranny, it made a big difference on my 2001.

For a daily driver that isn't going to tow heavy I'd go with an auto. I'd also get a 3rd gen truck. The quieter engine and refined cab make a much more pleasant drive, especially on a long road trip.

It sounds like you want to keep it for a long time, take your time searching and get just what you want. If its a bit out of your price range then hold off awhile till you build up more funds.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel513

One of the reasons I recommend a manual is you 15k budget for the whole truck. A built auto is expensive I know several people that spent 6000 a pop on there auto. And I have never been impressed with the shift quality of those trucks on the street.
My 12 valve auto isn't getting a new rebuild. I bought a nv4500 billit shafts and a dd Haisley strip/street.
As far as racing/sled pulling Anyone can drive a auto but a good driver in a manual can out do a auto.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RAMRODD
One of the reasons I recommend a manual is you 15k budget for the whole truck. A built auto is expensive I know several people that spent 6000 a pop on there auto. And I have never been impressed with the shift quality of those trucks on the street.
My 12 valve auto isn't getting a new rebuild. I bought a nv4500 billit shafts and a dd Haisley strip/street.
As far as racing/sled pulling Anyone can drive a auto but a good driver in a manual can out do a auto.
$15k was for just the truck purchase. After that the stated he'd spend the next 3-4 years building it up.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by cLAYH
$15k was for just the truck purchase. After that the stated he'd spend the next 3-4 years building it up.
I do realize what you stated above.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
----------------------------------
C'mon RAMRODD,.....your NV4500 manual is NOT going to beat a built auto in a drag race!! For the record, my 1996 Dodge CTD has one of those "built autos" you speak of and the transmission shifts very good. But with that being said not all of the aftermarket auto trans companies can get one to shift real good.

---------
John_P
Old 03-16-2015, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
----------------------------------
C'mon RAMRODD,.....your NV4500 manual is NOT going to beat a built auto in a drag race!! For the record, my 1996 Dodge CTD has one of those "built autos" you speak of and the transmission shifts very good. But with that being said not all of the aftermarket auto trans companies can get one to shift real good.

---------
John_P
Just because you have a clutch, doesn't mean you have to use it. But for me all around use gears work better.

I'm glad your auto performs to your likings

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which diesel?