General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Cummin's to give contract to Chevy/Ford?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cummin's to give contract to Chevy/Ford?

I've heard that the Cummins contract may go to Ford or Chevy in 2007.

Is this true? If so, would everyone still be loyal to Dodge? Said another way, is the loyalty to the engine or the truck brand?

In related news, I was truck shopping 1 month ago, wanted the CTD, but couldn't afford the one i wanted, so I bought a Tundra double cab, 4x4. 1 week later, labor day hit, the dealers marked the CTD double cab SLT 4x4's down to exactly what I paid for the Toyota...annoying.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That musta been 1 expensive toyota, or 1 heck of a deal on a dodge.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:48 PM

Those things are expensive!, Brother looked at a Nissan Titan and holy cown 32k for that thing
Old 09-27-2004, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by apache
That musta been 1 expensive toyota, or 1 heck of a deal on a dodge.
Both!! After completing the Toyota deal, they marked 3500 QC 2x4's down to 29k, and 3500 QC 4x4's to 33. Paid 32 for the Toyota, well equiped with the TSS package (20's, etc). Just the week before they were not coming off 40k to save thier lives...
Old 09-27-2004, 04:23 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Cummin's to give contract to Chevy/Ford?

Originally posted by ncj01
I've heard that the Cummins contract may go to Ford or Chevy in 2007.

Is this true? If so, would everyone still be loyal to Dodge? Said another way, is the loyalty to the engine or the truck brand?

In related news, I was truck shopping 1 month ago, wanted the CTD, but couldn't afford the one i wanted, so I bought a Tundra double cab, 4x4. 1 week later, labor day hit, the dealers marked the CTD double cab SLT 4x4's down to exactly what I paid for the Toyota...annoying.
Not true except for maybe a half ton. For the 3/4 ton and 1ton, the Cummins 5.9 is contracted long term beyond 2008.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:34 AM

Re: Re: Cummin's to give contract to Chevy/Ford?

Originally posted by Jack Thorpe
Not true except for maybe a half ton. For the 3/4 ton and 1ton, the Cummins 5.9 is contracted long term beyond 2008.
Are you suggesting that Dodge, Ford, or Chevy might begin offering a diesel in the 1/2 tons? If so, the Ford or chevy might offer the CTD while it's still being used in the 3/4 and 1t RAM?
Old 09-28-2004, 10:42 AM

I read some rumors of a v-6 light duty diesel that Ford is/was considering for the F-150. Something along the lines of Cummins wanting to push forward with their new V-configuration in a light duty package. Sounded like it would also be available in the Expedition/Navigator package. Purely news rag articles, speculation and based on small R&D crumbs tossed out there.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:56 AM

Ford has rumored deals with Navistar on a 6cyl diesel for half ton platforms for years. According to the forums, this deal has fallen through and been reinstated and fallen through again a number of times. Where Ford is currently with their half ton diesel plans I'm not sure.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would think Ford would have to be (at least a little) concerned about who/where they will get a diesel engine for their line-up.

Cummins is contracted with Dodge through 2008 for medium duty pickups.
Cat doesnt seem to want to play with the pickup truck market.
Mercedes is part of the competition (Daimler Chrysler).
Isuzu is out of the question as it too is part of the competition (GM).
Detroit Diesel?
Maybe, but they too would have to build an engine from scratch for the pickup market and I believe (not certain) that Detroit Diesel is owned in part by the competition (GM?, not sure about this one).
Volvo?
Perhaps, I dont know much about Volvo diesels but I would think they would also have to design an engine from scratch for the pickup market.
Doesn't Ford already work close with Volvo?

Who makes the diesels for Mazda? Ford and Mazda have a long relationship. Perhaps they can work out a joint venture.

You need a road map these days to figure out who owns who around here.

Rich
Old 09-28-2004, 11:38 AM

Detroit Diesel is also owned by DC I believe
Old 09-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You could be right.
As I mentioned, I wasnt sure who had Detroit Diesel.

Thanks
Rich
Old 09-28-2004, 12:28 PM

Dodge/Cummins were at a time working on a V-8 CTD platform for the 1500 and a V-6 CTD platform for the Durango(and perhaps the Dakota)... there are some threads buried discussing this...
Old 10-02-2004, 11:15 PM

I went to Detroits website and under the media information link. Then at the bottom of that page it says that they are a subsidary of Diamler Chrsyler AG. And I thought they were still affilliated with GM.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:23 PM
Banned

I beleave 4 wheeler had an artical on it if I can recall it stated

ford is looking for a light truck diesel manufacture .........then it went on to list possibillities about 5 companies then they stated ........the cummins corp. allready has the motor thats perfect for the application but dodge inc. would not let it happen they want cummins to be exclusive in the truck bussness

the most noteable manufacture was JOHN DEERE ...thats cool I hope they can impress ford with there design itd be neat to see little diesel trucks runnin around with JOHN DEERE logos on them
Old 10-02-2004, 11:31 PM

John Deere makes some pretty good engines for industrial/ag applications. It would be interesting to see what they could put in a pickup.

Quick Reply: Cummin's to give contract to Chevy/Ford?