General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

CTD on a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CTD on a daily driver?

First post here and I'm sure this has been covered but didn't find it in search.

We're about to get a truck for my wife to replace her Jeep Grand Cherokee. To my pleasant surprise she really loved the Dodge 2500 w/ the CTD after a test drive. My biggest concern is that she does a lot of stop/go driving around town where she's stopped for a couple minutes then gets back in and on her way again. I'm afraid that as much as I like the idea of a diesel, that her kind of driving won't get along well with a diesel engine.

Thoughts?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:20 PM

I cant really speak from experience like some of these guys can, but I daily drive mine.

I would suggest looking for one with an auto, for stop and go.

When I drive mine, if I am making a quick trip, like at the gas station or fast food, I will leave my truck running, now if I am going to be out of sight of the truck, like in Meijers or Walmart, I will turn the truck off.

It is starting, shut down, start, shut down, start, shut down, that is the hardest on them, especially during the cold months.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:27 PM

Starting itself is not particularly hard on an engine, it is cold starting that is. A warm engine will roll over easily and fire right away and the rings should already be tight to the cylinder walls so that the combustion will be good. If you start a lot, you will need to replace the starter and batteries a bit more often but it still will not be a lot.

To me, the question comes down to whether you have a use for a diesel. If you are going to tow your TT or boat every weekend, then it would make sense. However, if it is only to run errands around town, the premium to buy one would not make sense to me.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:11 PM

For the type of driving you are talking about, a 3/4 ton truck is not a vehicle I would consider practical or economical.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:26 PM

I plan my trips a bit more in the winter months for running errands. If its just a short trip, I will usually take the truck for a run to get it up to temp. Not always, but usually. I'll let mine run if I'm just running into a fast food joint. Like was said, if it leaves my site for any real length of time, its off and locked.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not going to hurt the truck to run it, even for short errands. Just once a week or so, take it out and run a while on the highway.

My truck is my only vehicle currently so it gets driven no matter what, if I have an errand to run. My only complaint is having room to park it in tight spots. I'd like to get a second small vehicle to make the quick runs to the store in. But if the wife is fine driving it.......don't worry about "pampering" the truck. It will be fine.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I might have the single most abusive duty cycle of anyone here on DTR because all my trips are so short.

Here's a typical M-F day for my truck:
1) Cold start outside, usually plugged in but not always
2) Drive 12 minutes to work, engine shows ZERO temp on the guage when shutoff (below 140 indicated)-- heat is barely starting to blow somewhat warm. Engine is shut off.
3) Cold soak all day, cold start at 5:30 or so. Do short trip in reverse home. T-stat is never cracked.
4) Repeat Monday through Friday. Truck sits all weekend waiting for the next round of abuse.

Given the ton of short trips and lots of starts, I've switched to a 30wt oil. I'm thinking a 20wt might even be more appropriate.

The usage I give my truck is far worse than dragging a 5er up a huge hill.

JMO
Old 02-08-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN
................. Truck sits all weekend waiting for the next round of abuse.

Given the ton of short trips and lots of starts, I've switched to a 30wt oil. I'm thinking a 20wt might even be more appropriate.

The usage I give my truck is far worse than dragging a 5er up a huge hill.

JMO

Why not just take it out on Sat. or Sun. for a drive? Get it up to operating temp and roll a little coal. Does anybody ever just go for a drive anymore without going somewhere in particular? OR take the "Long" way home, just because?

Diesel is only running about $2.09 a gallon here in North Texas. Take your truck out and enjoy it some. It will thank you for it.

A week of short trips, imo, won't hurt it if you get it up to operating temp once a week or so.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I use mine as an almost daily driver. Its 2 blocks to work so it sits 80% of the week. But yeah its usually short trips.
I agree some days its fun to just drive around for a while with no place to go even if diesel is pricey. I get sick of staying at home all the **** time.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sammy's Dad
First post here and I'm sure this has been covered but didn't find it in search.

We're about to get a truck for my wife to replace her Jeep Grand Cherokee. To my pleasant surprise she really loved the Dodge 2500 w/ the CTD after a test drive. My biggest concern is that she does a lot of stop/go driving around town where she's stopped for a couple minutes then gets back in and on her way again. I'm afraid that as much as I like the idea of a diesel, that her kind of driving won't get along well with a diesel engine.

Thoughts?
The only time I have heard of trips like you describe being a problem is in the new 6.7 Cummins engines. They need to have a load on them, due to all the emissions equipment on them.

If you get a 5.9 Cummins, whether it be a 12 Valve, 24 Valve, or Common Rail, I don't think you will have any problems with it at all.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by '91 1st Gen
The only time I have heard of trips like you describe being a problem is in the new 6.7 Cummins engines. They need to have a load on them, due to all the emissions equipment on them.

If you get a 5.9 Cummins, whether it be a 12 Valve, 24 Valve, or Common Rail, I don't think you will have any problems with it at all.
6.7 i would say no like he said but my wife had her own dually as a back up to my trucks and she was a lesss then10 miles a day daily driver and that truck never had a problem unless i had it and towed heavy with it
Old 02-08-2009, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Does anybody ever just go for a drive anymore without going somewhere in particular? OR take the "Long" way home, just because?
I do. Love taking the long way home and pointless drives on the weekend are a nice way to get away.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:40 PM

I drive my truck to school every day. its only a ten min trip and it berly gets to the first mark on the temp guage, so ive blocked half the grill off to try and get it to warm up faster and i always let it warm up 2-3 min before i go.
it still dont get very warm. then it sits out side 5 hours "just enough time for it to cool down" and its 10 min back home. On the weekends i take longer trips so it warms up and every so offten i hop on the highway and clean it out .

its most likely not the best for these trucks but they are built to be sold to anyone that buys them, if that makes any sense.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If it's a 5.9, it'll do fine. Kind of a pain to park sometimes and don't expect good mpgs with stop and go driving. The CTD likes to get out on the highway and stretch its legs.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Guess I was overextending the concern.

..and yes, when she's not driving it, it'll see plenty of active duty with the mission Cummins intended.

Quick Reply: CTD on a daily driver?