General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Converting from a Dodge 1500 to a Cummins:

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well since my big concern is that I can't find a shortbed diesel up here at all... would it be at all hard to convert a Long Bed to a Shortbed? I mean the parts are shortbed, shorter driveshaft, and either cutting the frame back or whatever. Any clues on that?
Old 08-30-2004, 07:36 PM

With all due respect you have no idea how much work is involved in either project. Its not simple like slapping on a paint job or uprading a truck with new wheels etc. These conversions are both very expensive. Theres nothing wrong with a long box...I have a SB (was dead set against a LB) but am considering buying one now. Long Boxes look way better when you throw on some nice rims and 35" tires. Have a look at this truck:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...0&ppuser=22550
Old 08-30-2004, 11:45 PM

Lockdown,

I feel as though I owe you an apology. It's neat that you want to be enterprising and try something that is different than everything else. There is no intent in my mind to stop someone from trying their hand at something new--that's why some people have the "right" attitude about going to college to study engineering. They want to invent or create things that others haven't thought of. For them it's not about money or status--it's about pursuing a dream.

This is also why myself and others here have expressed concern over this idea. Safety, above all, is a primary factor in my mind. If something is not designed for a certain type of load, the stress factors that are placed upon it due to a new, much higher load will cause failure, perhaps over a period of time, of the affected part. For a project such as placing a 1200-lb 5.9 B-series into a 1500 chassis, the affects will be astronomical on the frame, the suspension, the steering, the brakes, etc. Not to mention that gasoline componets will all have to be changed to diesel-compatable (such as the fuel lines, tank, sender, pump, etc) and that the wiring harness on the vechile will also be inadequate. The Cummins utilizes a 2-battery 12V system, so electrical loads consequentially will be much higher due to a higher cold-start cranking amp requirement for the engine.

In general, I would reccommend some time in study. Consider how to improve something by starting off on a smaller scale. Perhaps if you are of age and have access to automotive courses at a community college, take one of those and learn one of the sub-systems of a vechile and what goes into designing such a complex machine. Go further and take a physics course so you understand why things happen as they do, and how cause-effect thories translate into real life. I know this all sounds a bit far from your original question, but you seem to want to learn and so I would encourage you with this idea: Enjoy learning, but before you try it experantially and risk some serious injury and cash outlay, grasp the theory first and then put the concepts into practice.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:35 AM

Like everyone else said...it will cost you more in the long run, keep your receipts and you will see. There are just too many good buys to be had then to undertake a project like this.

Now if cost is not important and you want something different then thats another story.

I see you are in CA and laws here say you must smog it by the vehicle and not the engine so forget ever passing a smog test.
Its possible you may never be able to license it and if you were lucky enough to find someone to "look the other way" at testing time you would never be able to sell it as the seller is responsible for the vehicle to pass smog.

In fact making that kind of a change in this state is illegal in itself, you could get a fix-it ticket to undo all your work
Old 08-31-2004, 01:54 AM

96_12V Apology accepted, but I had no hard feelings to begin with. Like you said I'm eager to jump into a project soon, maybe too soon. My mind and my hands need/want to partake in a project. I understand the weight the 5.9 could might and will put on the frame. Thou i didn't relize it was a 1k in weight. I do understand it's the little things (wiring, fuel lines, batterys, etc) that cost the most. Again I appreiate your concern you opinion, and like stated before no hard feelings, please keep it coming!

Matt400 Having friends in low places will get you much futher in this world then you could imagine. I won't lie my truck now smokes like crazy on startup and has burnt valve seals... but it passed the sniffer like it was new. From my experience the saying, "It's not what you know, it's who you know" Has gotten me further in this life then my education has... so far.

And one more thing, http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...splay.php?f=30 thats another diesel site that got me thinking about the conversion.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:37 PM

If you must do it, at least be aware of the guidelines for doing it to help your friends "look the other way"

Check here

I wish I had your contacts, I have a Suzuki RM250 dirt bike that the DMV won't register based on CARB's (California Air Resource Board) rules. My VIN# is red flagged through the entire State
Old 08-31-2004, 03:45 PM

Red flagged meaning it will never pass smog.. or what exactly happens when you become red flagged? Also isn't that dirtbike a offroad vehicle? Why would you need to smog it, unless you made it road worthy.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the RM was the motocross bike??
Old 08-31-2004, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by Mcmopar
I thought the RM was the motocross bike??
It is but to compete in district 36 off road competition for Enduro and Cross Country events I need to have an OHV (Off Highway Registration) and CARB says no way cuz mine is a Canadian model yet is no different then a US model.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gotta love the government red tape and buracracies!!
Old 09-01-2004, 11:12 AM

Yep, I just figured since Team Suzuki runs the RM in the GNCC I should be able to run it in local events too. I have had so much grief over the dirt bike issue I just can't imagine doing it with a street licensed vehicle.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:30 AM

Emissions isssues are always a PITA. Strange on the bike, because I thought that ALL vehicles sold in Canada since about 1985 were California Emissions specs. (Thank you Toronto)
Old 09-04-2004, 10:09 AM

Putting that much power and weight in a 1/2 ton sounds like a lot of headache to do, but I think you will find the REAL problems are the ones that will haunt you forever there-after!
Old 09-06-2004, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by greatwhite
I thought that ALL vehicles sold in Canada since about 1985 were California Emissions specs.
I don't think so, even if the vehicle has the same system it has to have the sticker that says its CA certified.

In the case of the bike there is no smog testing on a dirt bike and it all boils down to the fact that it was not "certified" for sale in CA. CARB is trying to limit the amount of 2-strokes in CA, can't even buy a 2 stroke weed eater in CA anymore.

Originally posted by lockdown
well since my big concern is that I can't find a shortbed diesel up here at all... would it be at all hard to convert a Long Bed to a Shortbed?
IMO that is a much more doable project, find a regular cab long bed Diesel truck, remove the bed, cut & reinforce the frame down to what a short bed is and install a short bed box.

You would need a driveline shop to shorten the driveshaft. You may need to use a short bed fuel tank and would also need to shorten the park brake cable and hydraulic brake lines.

No EPA, CARB smog issues that I see of on that kind of thing.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:36 PM

MATT 400: Well looked at a dodge diesel on Saturday that was a long bed but I figured shortning the bed would be next to impossible.. there is a big bend in the frame right where the leaf springs connect up to the frame and axle, so thats out of the question. Well my search goes on for a 94 ext. cab shortbed 4x4 diesel. If anybody has any links in CA please post them up or send a email to mclocklin (AT) sbcglobal.net sorry for the break but email proggys pick up on emails and send junk mail out.

Quick Reply: Converting from a Dodge 1500 to a Cummins: