Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Chryslers Advisory Board , Needs Your Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Might talk to Peterbuilt, Kenworth, Western Star about seats. Fire the guy at Freightliner. The seats in dad's 06 stained way to easy, I know coffee is a little harsher than Mt. Dew but still.
Bumpers, less plastic more metal. A factory switch panel like the ford outfitters or what ever they are called. Some place to mount a trailer brake controller.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat cloth in my 06 is horrible. As others have said, water will leave stains. Have not tried cleaning them yet because of what others have said about making the stain worse.

My rear bumper has surface rust on the inside. I always spray it out at the car wash, especially in the winter.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:39 PM

Talking about rust. My 04 sport rear bumper didn't have adequate paint coverage on the rear bumper right on the edges. It seemed like they laid it on it's back and just sprayed the face of it and didn't get the back much which would include the edges which are visible.

At that time I lived on the beach and washed my truck every 2-3 weeks. I understand that's a sharp point that is hard to get good coverage on but needed to be addressed.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:47 PM

My 02 2500 has very comfortable seats, and as far as staiins. Nun, not one. they are as good as the day they were installed. and I have 2 dogs too but the seats cleanup easily. I just turned over 165k miles. Now the paint, thats another story. the paint sucks, and so does the cracked dash.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:14 PM

Seats need better seat how about a little longer on the seat bottoms so they actually support your whole thigh....
Old 10-11-2009, 10:31 PM

Side Note:
The Dodge site has different weight capacities for the 3500: 24,500 and 25,400!!! Which is correct???
Name:  2010HDRAMWeights.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  141.0 KB
Old 10-12-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're really from Chrysler and listen to this, I have a few suggestions. (I suspect you're not, though, otherwise why would you ask such silly questions? Never rode in a Ram or what?)
Seats.....been said many times....terrible. Can't imagine how bad they'd be if I weighed 300lbs. My 200lb EDIT barely fits in the front seat, wedged between the side bolsters. No padding, seat frame sticks you in the rear. Fabric looks like it is out of a Yugo and stains easily. Only + to the seating is the Mega cab seats recline a bit. Otherwise, my 2nd Gen Dodge seats and any Chevy truck I've had since mid the nineties has better quality/comfortable seats. Only truck on par with the 3rd Gen cloth Dodge seats for crappy quality is the 04-08 F150 work trucks. They must have got the left over gray fabric, but not the hounds tooth pattern!

Bumpers, it's not just a Dodge thing, are too thin! I know it's cost savings, but charge a couple hundo more for a bumer with some steel in it. For a reference, go get a 90's model GM truck and compare bumpers!

Thanks for building a quality drivetrain, but while you're at it, figure out why GM can offer a factory locker in the same AAM 11.5 rear axle and why their brakes last 2-3x as long in a comparable size truck (diesel to diesel, my 02 DMax brakes looked almost new at 100k mi, and my 07 Dodge will need new pads by around 80k mi).

Last edited by madhat; 10-12-2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: S/L
Old 10-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Banned

seats and bumpers

Make a quality seat with more cushion so people who spend time driving dont suffer. And for bumpers stop using tin foil that dents and bends with the lightest tap. Maybe a spring loaded sturdy bumper that can take a hit and survive without expensive replacement cost.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have owned a 2003 Dodge Reg cab, seats were good, I had the cloth seats.
I now have a 05 Dodge Quad cab, seats are confortable, but have fallen apart stitching has come out.

The bumpers are garbage, after a year of owning my 03 washing the truck being carefull to even wash the bumpers inside and out, they started to rust inside and out.
They dented real easy, and cost to much to replace for what you get.

I am going to add a few more things,
Fuel system on these trucks need to be reliable, DEALERSHIPs need better trained Techs to deal with the new products. Not rely on guess work. Dealerships need to have access to better networking amongst themselves to better serve customers who travel lots in order to pass on valuable info on prior diagnosing and issues.

Driveline on these trucks,ie ball joints, wheel hubs, u joints need to be made of better quality. They out right lack in quality for usefullness and life. They wear prematurly and you have little to no warning when they do fail.

Electronics/ wiring need to be better taken care of from the manufacturers. On my 03 pretty much every wire bundle in the truck had evidence of improper cleaning and crimping/ soldiering. Resulted in many wire ends being corroded causing shorts throughout the truck.
The tail lamp assemblys seem to poorly built causing "light out conditions" for tail lights. The tabs inside loosen up even on new units with in short time.

Air conditioning system works poorly, parts break causing dangerous conditions such as windows fogging up driving down the road. etc.

Overall I have to give Dodge a C+ for their trucks.
The interior on the DOdge is in my opinion the nicest of all the trucks out there, this does not mean it is perfect just the best offered right now.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:03 PM

Wow. Talk about a Whine festival. Cheese anyone?
The question was seats & bumbers.
I am pleased with my 02 cloth seats. The bumbers are decorative, that is about it. If you offered a serious bumber/brush guard combination that was strong & light, many here would buy that from the factory, if it was good.
HD rear bumoer could be an option too.
My whine time: How could Dodge, Cummins & Bosch have put the VP44 on us.
1,000,000 Gen 2's with VP's that average maybe 75k from the factory.
I may have the only Gen 2 dash not cracked, but mine lives a pampered life(Under a roof, Dash cover too). And those Carter lift pumps, whose idea was that?
The motor is awesome, best in the business. That keeps us whiny babys coming back.
My $.02.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No, its just the Cummins that keeps some of us buying Dodge.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:47 PM

To make it easy.. The seats are worthless, the ac system you couldnt give away, the paint job is a joke, and the bumpers are just about pointless.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry i cant figure out the a/c issue's everone complains about the only problem i had with the 03 was that i wouldnt coolvery good after being on for about 10hrs sometimes but if i shut it off for about 10 min it would work again. i would let my trucks idle for 6 to 8 hrs with a/c on and never had a problem with any of them. and thats sleeping in the back seat
Old 10-19-2009, 08:16 PM

a/c: 1. the outer vents hardly have any air flow. 2. takes forever to cool.
seats: what cushion, i installed 2.5 inches of medium foam to fix mine.
overall a good truck, but having a smaller diesel engine available, would be great for those not running commercial.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:30 PM

I agree about the seats & AC. Whenever I get in my F150, it just amazes me how much better they are. The truck as a whole is pretty good but just seems to be four or five years behind GM or Ford. I do wish it had factory EGT & trans. temp. gauges.

Quick Reply: Chryslers Advisory Board , Needs Your Help