General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

a cheap trick for everyone

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Hot" Item!

Once tailgates of any and all brands became easily
and quickly removable they became a quick theft
item.
In So. CA wouldn't think of not having some kind of
device to "slow-em-down" - thieves don't bother with
a tailgate that causes delay, when you can get one
quicker from the "other" truck.
JC
Old 02-01-2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by scarecrow
i saw this on another site. its a real god idea so i figured i would share it with yall.For a cheap anti theft device for your tailgate, take a stainless steel hoseclamp and tighten it around the hinge on your tailgate on the side that lifts off. This way anybody that wants to swipe yout gate needs to have a screwdriver to do it. This also reduces the chance of the tailgate falling off if you drive around with it down.
Actually, that trick has been oposted on here a number of times. Works for me.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mr T
cool thanks...by the way watch ur ball hitches...i left mine in while i went to class for 2 hours and it was gone!!...who the heck would want one at the univ i go to...im the only one with a truck! oh well that was a year ago
Had mine stolen at the mall once...

Same people broke into my wife's Cherokee twice. Once they tried to steal it, busted the ignition colum, left their screwdriver. Exactly a week later they broke in again dug their screwdriver out of the center console (she kept it in there to start it, with two of her screw drivers, and a pair of gloves) Left the gloves and other screwdrivers on the drivers seat. Cops said "prob just some junkie wanting cash, not the same people."
Old 02-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Chapter President

I tow a Jeep Cherokee on a carhauler to offroad trailrides. Stopped at a truck stop for rest and food. CAme out and 2 of the 4 10k lb. ratchet straps were stolen. One from each end. Talk about ******. I think some people do this only as a cruel joke when the opportunity presents itself, cause about 2 days and 1000 miles later the truck stop called and said they found 2 straps in perfect condition matching the ones I reported stolen in the garbage dumpster. I had to go back through that way and picked them up on the way back home. I got over it, but what if I did't have the other 2 straps? I would have been stranded there for who knows how long.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by infidel
Maybe I'm innocent living in the boonies but why would anyone want to steal your tailgate, is there that much of a market for them?
There's a huge market for selling them to people who had theirs stolen
Old 02-02-2006, 12:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VADSLRAM
There's a huge market for selling them to people who had theirs stolen
Yep, just like T-tops....

MikeyB
Old 02-02-2006, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anybody got a pic?
Old 02-02-2006, 04:21 PM

Maybe I'm innocent living in the boonies but why would anyone want to steal your tailgate, is there that much of a market for them?
Inquire @ at your local dealer the replacement cost and that does not include paint matching Explains why slimy folks are swipping them. My co-workers got a huge dent on the top of his, his deductable is $1,000. He cant decide if to spend out of his own pocket or let insurance cover it.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:01 PM

That is one thing I noticed about the Dodge tailgates.... no lock. I never understood that. My parent's '98 F150 has a tailgate lock. Seems like a simple and cheap thing to add..
Old 02-02-2006, 08:12 PM

Pulled in to a rest stop one time to hit the restroom. When I got back someone stole a ramp of my car hauler. I was gone all of two minutes. Glad I didnt have the truck on the trailer on the return trip. I chain vehicles down so ever since then I loop the chain through the ramps an put a lock on it hooking it to the binder. Some people just suck.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:16 PM

Good thing JKM is on the other side of the continent, otherwise I might need to go buy a hose clamp

I rarely lock my truck or take the keys out of the ignition. If it comes to people stealing tailgates in my parts it will be time to move.
I bet you leave it running for a quick trip in to the post office or hardware store, too?
Old 02-03-2006, 05:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mr T
cool thanks...by the way watch ur ball hitches...i left mine in while i went to class for 2 hours and it was gone!!...who the heck would want one at the univ i go to...im the only one with a truck! oh well that was a year ago
Gotta watch them around me. I've decided to buy a portable plasma cutter so every time I see a receiver style ball hanging out 1 ft out of the back of some vehicle covered in rust. (hasn't towed in yrs, just too **** lazy to remove) I'm gonna cut it off
I had to get 10 stitches and tetnus shots cuz while riding my bike through a parking lot some old lady was backing out not looking so I had ease over close to the other side of the lane and WHAM my shin gets caught between 600cc and some bubba's hitch. The freaking thing was this hurking load leveler about 18" off the back of his truck ...and hadn't seen a trailer since he bought it
Old 02-03-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Fueling around
I bet you leave it running for a quick trip in to the post office or hardware store, too?
Yes, and unlocked. Last time I looked at the crime rates for my county there were only two reported car thefts for the entire year.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:03 PM

Yes, and unlocked. Last time I looked at the crime rates for my county there were only two reported car thefts for the entire year.
I do that in Ohio too Only here local though

Must be nice living in a state of less than 1 million people There are that many in the Cincinati area alone

Personally, I don't have to worry about my tailgate
Chris
Old 02-03-2006, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VADSLRAM
Gotta watch them around me. I've decided to buy a portable plasma cutter so every time I see a receiver style ball hanging out 1 ft out of the back of some vehicle covered in rust. (hasn't towed in yrs, just too **** lazy to remove) I'm gonna cut it off
I had to get 10 stitches and tetnus shots cuz while riding my bike through a parking lot some old lady was backing out not looking so I had ease over close to the other side of the lane and WHAM my shin gets caught between 600cc and some bubba's hitch. The freaking thing was this hurking load leveler about 18" off the back of his truck ...and hadn't seen a trailer since he bought it
Well, stay away from my truck. I do sympathize with you as many parking spaces are too short for a club cab long bed even without the hitch but it seems to me that your problem should have been more with the inattentive lady than with the parked truck. I probably tow once or twice a month on average but may go 2-3 months without towing at all but I leave that nice big pintle/ball combo on the back of mine with a locking hitch pin to make sure that it stays there. I find that it protects the bumper rather well and hopefully will slow down anyone who tries to rearend me.

As far as the tailgate goes, I find that a broken latch mechanism tends to slow down thiefs and everyone else as well.

Quick Reply: a cheap trick for everyone