Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Caterpillar?? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/caterpillar-29531/)

pilikua 07-20-2003 10:59 PM

Caterpillar??

Would anyone here trade their Cummins HO for a Cat under the hood of an 03 Ram?? Just curious..

Mexstan 07-20-2003 11:10 PM

Re:Caterpillar??

Maybe, if;
- they could prove equal or better reliability than Cummins
- the fuel consumption was equal or better
- it was quieter than the Cummins
- the engine was detuned considerably, therefore allowing much bombing later
- the price was lower then Cummins
- the warranty was equal or longer
- it did not weigh more than a comparable Cummins
- the price for parts was cheaper and not more expensive which they could be right now.
- the HP and torque were more than the HO

moparman2 07-21-2003 12:57 AM

[laugh]NO.

MikeyB 07-21-2003 07:40 AM

Uhhh, no.
I don't know what all the hype is with the Cat, other than being very expensive to maintain.

MikeyB

Luke S 07-21-2003 08:29 AM

Hmmmmmmmmm, let me think, NO!<br><br>Cats suck, period!<br><br>Cummins Forever 8) 8) 8)

Jonesey 07-21-2003 09:47 AM

No way!

SuperGewl 07-21-2003 01:55 PM

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]<br>Sure, I will do it if you give me $50,000 to go with it so I can buy a real engine. ;D ;D ;D

yz 07-21-2003 08:06 PM

So what do you guys have against CAT? What are your person experiences? Just wondering. The 3126E is a larger engine. So if they could fit it in there I might consider one. If Cat gave the specialty trucks warranty that would be nice @ 60 months and 150K I think. peak torque is like 860 ft. lbs torque. -Anthony

yz 07-22-2003 08:06 PM

Someone must have so experience with CAT. Or at least a good reason why they don't like CAT. I am just curious that's all. -Anthony

Haulin_in_Dixie 07-22-2003 08:30 PM

[quote author=yz link=board=20;threadid=17341;start=0#162918 date=1058922415]<br>Someone must have so experience with CAT. Or at least a good reason why they don't like CAT. I am just curious that's all. -Anthony<br>[/quote]<br><br>I'm curious also, I know quite a few car haulers that are running the cat in mid-sized trucks and they love em. Good power, good efficiency, good resale.

James Lucas 07-22-2003 09:39 PM

Better question is &quot;how many of us in Dodge land would have NEVER bought a Dodge if they had a CAT in the CHEVY and GMC?&quot; (alot of Chevy converts drive Dodge because of the Cummins)<br><br>Or would the Cat in the Dodge have swung so many of us over from CHEVY and the 6.5 Turbo like the Cummins did?<br><br>

07-22-2003 09:46 PM

[quote author=JCL123 link=board=20;threadid=17341;start=#162969 date=1058927966]<br>Better question is &quot;how many of us in Dodge land would have NEVER bought a Dodge if they had a CAT in the CHEVY and GMC?&quot; (alot of Chevy converts drive Dodge because of the Cummins)<br><br>Or would the Cat in the Dodge have swung so many of us over from CHEVY and the 6.5 Turbo like the Cummins did?<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>There was ONE, and ONLY one reason I bought my first Dodge truck - in '91:<br><br>C-U-M-M-I-N-S... [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]<br><br>I held my nose about the outer wrapper - and was pleasantly surprised when THAT turned out to be excellent as well!

James Lucas 07-22-2003 09:56 PM

[quote author=Gary - KJ6Q link=board=20;threadid=17341;start=0#162973 date=1058928403]<br>
<br><br>There was ONE, and ONLY one reason I bought my first Dodge truck - in '91:<br><br>C-U-M-M-I-N-S... [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]<br><br>I held my nose about the outer wrapper - and was pleasantly surprised when THAT turned out to be excellent as well!<br>[/quote]<br><br>No doubt Cummins saved Dodge in a BIG way! I am just saying that if Dodge had gone with the Cat it would have been a similar result as long as Cummins wasn't in another truck.<br><br>I am also saying that the true blue Chevy guys wouldn't have flocked over by the droves either if Chevy had gone with the Cat. True there would have been some brand hopping but not like what we have witnessed.<br><br>Still laughing about the comment about holding your nose about the outer wrapper [laugh] My Grandfather would by a new Dodge every year and loved them! For as long as I can remember him being alive...

yz 07-22-2003 10:21 PM

I think it would be real intresting to see CAT engine in one of the big three brands. If the engine was in a Chevy I don't think I would buy one but it would be intresting. If they put it in a Ford then I would have to think about it hard. I like the 4x4 reg. cab long beds. But If DC and Cummins split I would buy a Dodge/CAT. I love my Cummins. I just think it would be intresting. That's all. I just hate the really dislike the Powerstoke and Dmax. I just wish that pick ups were like Over the road truck. Like pete or KW. I wish you could get a CAt,Cummins, or anything in are truck if you wanted. So you can pick what engine you want. I think that would be great. It's not that I like Cat any better then I do Cummins. I just think it would be great if they had an engine in a pick up. Just to make things intresting. I think it would be a great product. That's all. -Anthony

MikeyB 07-23-2003 07:10 AM

[quote author=yz link=board=8;threadid=17341;start=0#162918 date=1058922415]<br>Someone must have so experience with CAT. Or at least a good reason why they don't like CAT. I am just curious that's all. -Anthony<br>[/quote]<br><br>From what I remember (and that's over twenty five years ago!) Cats are more expensive to buy and maintain. I remember going to a Mormon dealer and picking up 3 tractors, two with the Cummins NTC 400 and one with the Detroit Diesel 8V92. The dealer had several Mormons with the Cat 3408 and the trucks where more expensive because of the engine.<br><br>MikeyB

James Lucas 07-23-2003 09:12 AM

I bet the 3408 was more expensive... That was a huge upgrade over the NTC 400 Cummins. The 3406 would have been the comparable engine. The 3408 was the notorious 8 cylinder CAT if memory serves me well.<br><br>My dad always ran the CAT in his Pete's and he loved them but I feel like he sacraficed his profits for lack of fuel economy by doing so. I remember he would get 3.8 - 4.0 mpg religiously when the series 60 detroits were getting almost double that at 6.5 - 7.0 mpg. Sure he could out pull them but I think those guys made more money ::)<br><br>

wannadiesel 07-23-2003 02:59 PM

Cat doesn't currently have any on-highway certified engines small enough to put in a pickup. The Cummins 5.9 is pretty big and heavy for a pickup motor, but the 3126 is really way too big. It's about 8 inches taller and 6 inches longer than a 5.9, and it weighs roughly 30% more. It's basically the same as attempting to put an 8.3 Cummins in a pickup.

Luke S 07-23-2003 04:10 PM

Wannadiesel, thank you. We got in a pretty heated argument in another thread because some people were saying that Chevy is trying that enginge in there 2500/3500 trucks. I said it physically would not work. It is too big, and too heavy. Thanks for backing up my point. ;)

James Lucas 07-23-2003 04:43 PM

[quote author=Cummins Luke link=board=8;threadid=17341;start=15#163281 date=1058994606]<br>Wannadiesel, thank you. We got in a pretty heated argument in another thread because some people were saying that Chevy is trying that enginge in there 2500/3500 trucks. I said it physically would not work. It is too big, and too heavy. Thanks for backing up my point. ;)<br>[/quote]<br>I went back and read every post in that thread... Someone said that Chevy was testing &quot;A&quot; Cat not necessarily &quot;that&quot; Cat in the Chevy 2500-3500 trucks and I said that Chevy had tried that engine in the 2500-3500 and put it in the Top Kick instead as it was too fuel ineficient. (that would have been in the early-mid nineties.<br><br>If I was wrong so be it...<br><br>You have twisted the entire (previous)thread around to suit you in that statement. <br><br>Not trying to be inflamitory but this whole thread is about whether or not you would buy a truck if it had a Cat and its slight wanderings off course. Now this!!! ::)<br><br>Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way in that other thread before it got locked. My statement might have been in error I can admit that. Have a great day

DieselDaze 07-23-2003 04:56 PM

Were not going to start this again are we? ::)<br><br>If you two have something to prove to each other, take it up in PM or email.<br>If you have some information that might be useful to others then share it... BUT share it in a manner that is in accordance with the site rules.<br><br>Rich.

James Lucas 07-23-2003 04:58 PM

No problems here... I just apologized for the previous thread too! <br><br>

Jack Thorpe 07-23-2003 05:54 PM

What DieselDaze said. Take it off of here pronto &gt;:(

James Lucas 07-23-2003 10:58 PM

We got it all worked out... ;)

P Kennedy 07-24-2003 12:03 AM

The Cat in a Chevy is an old story as they were tested in a C3500HD, 3116-210hp with disaster as the frames and running gear were incapable of withstanding the torqueand weight. Cooling was a major issue as the 6.5 was having its major problems in the same trucks at that time. As quoted Cats 3116,3126 and 3126B are equivelant to 8.3 Cummins in physical specs both have had their share of growing pains. Cost is only relevant to cost per mile and Cat,Cummins and Detroit have had series of engines that were stinkers. Cummins had the infamous 903 V8 and 555 V8 which were not premium pieces of engineering. Cat had the wonderful 1156/3208 disposables and Detroit 2 strokers had there problems however each one had it spot and loyalists for various reasons. I personally like 3406 Cats for ease of repair although more costly, Cummins are most reasonable to inframe until the N14 and my 470 60 Series Detroit always had the best fuel milage. Compare the 3408 to a KTA 600 Cummins and both had brutal power and both would bankrupt the best operators when they blew up. I bought my truck based on reliability and neither of the other two manufacturers have the consistant total average milage between rebuilds as the cummins B/Dodge. In saying that lots of Ford and Chevy diesel owners had satisfying ownerships for what they bought the truck for. Coincidentally one of my projects is a pre-82 KW A cab single axle mid-liner with a 3126 Cat, Allison New World Auto simply based on available parts and info. 8.3C and L10 are a premium with motorhome rebuilders buying them up and Cat is more common here in mid size trucks. Came close to putting a Johne Deere industrial motor in until it became needed for a loader that died. Would I buy a Dodge with a Cat, you bet that way we would be driving Dodge 4500 series to carry the engine. PK

Luke S 07-24-2003 07:41 AM

Good post! 8)

James Lucas 07-24-2003 12:10 PM

If Chevy had gone with a Cat 10 years ago I would have never gone with a Dodge... I was tried and true Chevy!

I have had several Dodge trucks now 97 3500 5sp 4x4,98 3500 5sp banks 4x4, 99 2500 4x4 auto, and my 2001 auto 4x4 all CTD and now I don't know if I would ever go any other engine unless I had to. Keywords: HAD TO

I have also grown to love my truck and have hung onto it instead of the usual get rid of it anually routine that I employed for so many years. AND IT IS A DODGE!!!! (we moved to yuppieville and I had to have a vehicle that would fit in my garage at night, HOA rules, so no BIG Dodge for a few years there)(GLAD WE MOVED!!!)

Cummins brought me to Dodge but it is Dodge that has kept me here. THE CUMMINS IS A HUGE BONUS!

Dollar for dollar look at what we get for HP gains too...

I don't think I would switch to another brand I just wish DC made a LARGE SUV like the Excursion Diesel that I am in the market for now...(for the wife of course)

James

RATTLINRAM 07-24-2003 01:05 PM

Yeah,,,,,,,,,<br> I think I could get the wife to go for one of these with a CTD powerplant! ;D<br>http://dodgeram.org/rides/web/body_m...burbansbig.jpg

James Lucas 07-24-2003 01:16 PM

Now your talkin' :o Maybe in the new body style and darken the glass up a little 8)<br><br>OH YEAH!!! ;)

DieselDaze 07-24-2003 01:16 PM

[quote author=RATTLINRAM link=board=8;threadid=17341;start=15#163677 date=1059069918]<br>Yeah,,,,,,,,,<br> I think I could get the wife to go for one of these with a CTD powerplant! ;D<br>http://dodgeram.org/rides/web/body_m...burbansbig.jpg<br>[/quote]<br><br>Hey thats actually pretty good looking. I'd like to see it slightly lifted with some 35's under it... but either way, thats looks good.<br><br>Photoshop ?<br><br>Rich

RATTLINRAM 07-24-2003 01:37 PM

Photoshop ?
<br><br>No,,,,,<br> That was a company that specialized in stretched pickups and conversions called Bayer Auto.

dodgeman01 07-24-2003 01:51 PM

I was at our county fair modified truck pulls last night. As I watched the pulls I saw nothing but Chevy's in the pull with two Dodges and one Ford ::) When it came time to leave I saw nothing but Dodges for the most part and Fords with two chevy's [undecided] I thought it was rather funny I even got a few guys to get out of there trucks to come and talk to me &quot;I think it was the stacks&quot; I took 30 min to get out of the fair grounds there was sooo many people there. <br>Would I buy a Dodge if it had a CAT yes but then I would buy a Dodge if it had a durajunk in it also I would just not have big durmax stickers on it like I do my Cummins ;)<br>DM01

StarCar2 07-24-2003 03:07 PM

Interesting post. I would put a Cat in my truck in a heart beat. DC had their Power Wagon concept truck a few years ago. The engine in it was a 7.2L, dry sleeved, HEUI injected engine. A Cat 3126. As to the cost of Cat parts? Priced a VP44 or lift pump?

James Lucas 07-24-2003 04:40 PM

Here it is

James Lucas 07-24-2003 04:42 PM

Better one that spells out CAT

Monty 07-26-2003 08:39 AM

I'll stick to the Cummins. Dont get me wrong, CAT makes a good OTR engine. Talk to any driver and they will tell you just how well the 425 3406B performed, as well as its electronic brother, the 3406E. What makes CAT so popular is there ungodly amount of lugging power. These babies have the torque down at the bottom. <br><br>The 3126 is a good little engine. The biggest problem I see with these engines is the maintinence. Owners of these think they can go up to 15-20k on 15w40. When this happens, you start running in to HEUI high psi pump seals leaking, injectors failing, and not too mention your warranty being void. That engine will tattle tale on you if intervals arent like they are supposed to be. Had a guy bring one in last week with a HEUI pump leak, swore he had been changing his oil at 8k like he should. When the engine told the story through the computer, it was more like 20k.

StarCar2 07-28-2003 10:35 AM

You are correct about maintenence. Proper oil viscosity and cleanliness are essential. But the owner not following proper procedure is not a weakness of the engine. A Cummins is no more imune to poor maintenece than any other engine.

yz 07-29-2003 08:42 PM

Hey Monty what would an oil change interval be on a Cummins about the same size and power as the Cats you described above. Just wondering. Thanks -Anthony

RDNeckChris 07-29-2003 10:23 PM

What is going to happen when Dodge no longer has the Cummins and ford takes it after Two years of it is being dead. I hear that it is coming the the next model year that it will the last year for the cummins in it. What will happen, Will CAT C-U-M to the picture? ???

CHris

dodgeman01 07-30-2003 12:53 AM

[quote author=RDNeckChris link=board=8;threadid=17341;start=30#msg165644 date=1059535431]
What is going to happen when Dodge no longer has the Cummins and ford takes it after Two years of it is being dead. I hear that it is coming the the next model year that it will the last year for the cummins in it. What will happen, Will CAT C-U-M to the picture? ???

CHris
[/quote]
::)

Monty 07-30-2003 05:21 PM

[quote author=RDNeckChris link=board=8;threadid=17341;start=30#msg165644 date=1059535431]

CHris
[/quote]

You heard wrong. Daimler Chryslers contract with Cummins does not end until 2007. After that, who knows, but I say that you will see a MB engine in the Dodge truck, or a smaller Detroit.

I realize that the maintinance for the 3126 engine is not its downfall. But, almost 90% of the trucks with the HEUI CAT system that come in are commercial trucks driven by dozens of people. ( The bigger kitty cats are not HEUI driven) When you get quite a few people driving the same truck, maintenance falls off and problems start to come up. I for one do not like the HEUI system just due to its delecacy.

Chris, the rival engine in the Freightliner market against the 3126 is the ISB.(Up until this year when Freightliner dropped Cummins and now only has the option of CAT or MB) The only difference in this engine and ours as far as fluid goes, is the oil pan. The ISB for the FL holds 18qts. Intervals can vary between syn and dino oil. But, most of the owners change there oil every 10-12k with the ISB that run 15w40. In more extreme conditions it can be less.