General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Cat 3208. Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No doubt that turbo'd models were better, but not that much. We have a turbo'd model in a ford boom truck and my biggest complaint is it smokes even when its warmed up, so you have to stand and operate the boom in exhaust smoke. I sure wouldnt recommend one in a truck that needs to be powerful.Gotta love them DT 466's. We have a few in our potato trucks and they have been great.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:40 PM

Back in the 80's the company I worked for had some real winners.

A 60something Ford Cabover that was a fire department fuel truck in it's prior life. It had a 3208 and an auto of some sort and would just barely get out of it's own way.

They also had an early 70's F650 with a gasser and a 12' Box Body that SUCKED.

Best thing I drove there was an 80 Dodge 1 ton van. I think it had a 360 but don't quote me on it as my memory is QUITE selective.

I would not want to drive ANY of them in todays traffic!
Old 10-19-2007, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Boatnik
In the marine industry I have heard them refered to as "boat anchors".
Best description of a 3208 ive ever heard.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:32 PM

They are not that bad of a motor in a little six wheeler, we had one in a L-8000 ford 10 wheeler that was gutless. don't expect a 425 hp cat , drive it right and it will last for a while.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 260 HP Turbo 3208 in my boat, over 9000 hours and still runs great.
Only problem so far is "O" rings started leaking where the oil cooler mounts to the block. Real bugger to get at. Smokes until warmed up, normal, not enough piston rings.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:57 PM

In addition to my D250 Ram, I just bought a Chevy Kodiak crane truck with a Cat 3208.

Not a well-loved engine, I can see.

Does anyone on here know if an IH DT466 would bolt in?

I want to make this truck great, because the crane is awesome and I know I'm gonna use the hell out of it, so I'd really like to know if I can swap in the IH.

Thanks,
Christian
Old 11-09-2007, 05:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you're going to do a swap you might was well put a Cummins in it. Why go from bad to mediocre when you can just go to best?
You can fall back to th eIH if you find that the Cummins will not go in there for some reason.

Chris
Old 11-09-2007, 08:11 AM

Well, I have a line on a good and cheap DT466, and I know it's a reliable and well-liked engine. However, putting a Cummins into it sounds just fine to me, as long as it was possible and not ridiculously expensive.

At his point it's more about cost and feasibility to me than allegiance to one engine or another.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to what Cummins might go in there, or what other appropriately sized diesel, for that matter?

Thanks,
Christian
Old 11-10-2007, 06:37 AM

I have a DT466 in my bucket truck, and it could use some more power. Might be because it is detuned (turbo is smaller than my HX35), or because the truck weighs in at about 37K, but that sucker is a dog.
If you already have the Cat, and it runs, you might just run it until it drops, or the fuel costs justify the switch.
The 5.9 Cummins would be a good swap, as these engines are used in medium duty applications. Then again, if you have a really good deal on a 466, you might have to go that way, depending on your time constraints.

You just need to find out about the adapter plates to the tranny. I'm trying to think of a good place to find out about that, besides here.

Chris
Old 11-24-2007, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any more good deals on the 466's robox?
Stamey, try adjusting the fuel screw, makes a nice difference! See this video for my bucket truck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbw7J3zXA4E&feature=user
Old 11-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Banned

I prefer the 3512 since it is rated at 1405hp right out of the box. Motor mounts are hard to come by or must be custom made. Oh yea, a little heavier front suspension is helpful. It's right around 15,000lbs.
Attached Thumbnails Cat 3208. Any good?-imported-photos-00006.jpg  
Old 11-24-2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Stamey
If you're going to do a swap you might was well put a Cummins in it. Why go from bad to mediocre when you can just go to best?
You can fall back to th eIH if you find that the Cummins will not go in there for some reason.

Chris

If he did that he would need to look at an 8.3L, idealy...

466/61.025 = 7.64 L displacement.

The DT 466 is a great engine for a heavier medium duty truck applicaiton, and so is a DT 530. If you have a line on one of these, I would go for it.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:48 PM

Well, I now have a dump truck. The deal was too good to pass up. I have ended up with a 1974 F350 that has a 12' x 8', x 32" electric dump body on it. The dump body is practicaly new, having hardly any rust on it and even still has original paint on the bed floor.
The truck has an original 73K on it. Yeah, I know what you are thinking, but I believe it's true. As I understand it, the truck sat on the Dalgren military base for most of its life, holding up some kind of satelite dish. Let's put it this was, the original cab mounts are solid, with very little rust on them.
The 360 runs great. The seller told me it was very cold natured, and it seemed like it when he started it for me, pumpingf the gas pedal forever. Once I got it home, fixed the vacuum leak and adjusted the choke properly, what do you know, it's no longer cold natured. Gee, helps if you know what you're doing.
The truck does need brake work though. I replaced all the brake hoses today and all of the bleeder screws. I only broke one, but since I was in there....
Pics to follow, if I get a chance to take some on Monday.

nevrenufhp, yours seems to be an automatic. Sure wish I had one of those. Mine's a Fuller 13 speed, and I think the rear has 4.88's in it. Top speed for my truck is 55mph, period. That's why I want to see about turning it up, as well as acceleration.
Here's my truck:

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeeze Chris,
I know you told me ya had a bucket truck,,,, but man that's a bigun ain't it?
Give me a call on the phone the next time you're gonna be down in my neck of the woods. I would like you to take a look at that monster pecan out in the back yard.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by RATTLINRAM
Jeeze Chris,
I know you told me ya had a bucket truck,,,, but man that's a bigun ain't it?
Give me a call on the phone the next time you're gonna be down in my neck of the woods. I would like you to take a look at that monster pecan out in the back yard.

Homey don't play.

Quick Reply: Cat 3208. Any good?