General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

carfax report

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carfax report

im looking at buying a 2003 cummins, and was wondering if anyone wouldnt mind doing a carfax check on this truck. the vin is 3D7KU28CX3G838047. thanks
Old 12-08-2004, 01:38 AM

just to inform you, i did a carfax report on a 1998 dodge cummins about a year and half ago. came out clean. the vehicle sale description (private owner) said it had new paint. i thought this was odd for a 98 so i inquired. i talked to the owner and was told that it had minor scratches from hunting, and said he is very meticulous about his vehicles. understandable. so i asked for receipts to see if it was one of those Maaco $300 jobs. they faxed me the receipts, but they were only the payment ones, not the "what was done to the vehicle" ones. so i called the shop that was on the receipts. manager was very nice and informative... "yeah, i think he went into the ditch and the whole front clip needs to be replaced". that also explained the one new shock that was replaced under the sale description. the owner had told me on the phone (i was located about 12 hours away) that he would not B.S. me especially since i was coming from such a far distance. needless to say, i did not buy the truck or ever call the guy back.

moral of the story, AFAIK, is Carfax only works if a claim has been made. repairs will not show up if its paid out of pocket.

i doubt anything like this will happen for a 2003, but beware. do your research.

Pat
Old 12-08-2004, 05:34 AM

I paid for Carfax once. My dad had me do a search on a truck advertised on EBAY. The seller even advertised it as having a salvage title. The Carfax report came back clean... I got my money back from Carfax.

Hondo
Old 12-08-2004, 11:25 AM

Found this from another forum and thought it was interesting and sounds similar to your situation:

"Long story short though, called a few folks, and one of them was really helpful, pulled up the insurance's comprehensive loss reporting dealie (he called it C.L.U.E.). Showed the "Excellent, like new condition" truck I was buying had a 13000 dollar claim on july 11th 2003. HOLY COW! Thats half of what the truck is worth! Its still NOT a salvage title, and some poor shmuck is going to buy this truck thinking its a non thrasher.
The insurance guy did this for free, we got a few chuckles out of the report as the big 13k claim wasnt the only one. Never thought to consult insurance companies about this! He earned my buisness! Seller was offering a free carfax lemon check, that turned up nothing. Carfax works, sometimes. this CLUE thing works ALL the time if there was ever any claim against it."
Never heard of this CLUE thing, but it might be worth checking out.

~Rob