General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Cab-over semi-trucks being replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab-over semi-trucks being replaced?

Could be just me but I hardly see any more cab-over trucks on the road. Why don't they make them as much as the regular semi-trucks? I remember a trucker once telling me that the cab-overs are the best trucks. He also said Peterbilts are the best.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most drivers don't like them. Harder to climb in and out of, can't see out of them as well and you are the very first to arrive at a wreck! The way length laws now work it doesn't make the difference in the type of power unit like it used to. Mostly the trailer length is used and not overall length as used to be the case. You do have overall length limits but they are more liberal than the trailer length, at least in the NW.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:51 PM

They are still very popular in Europe, where space is always at a premium. Currently, there's very little market for them outside of in-town delivery trucks, I think only one manufacturer is still building cab-over OTR trucks for commercial use. The are rough, noisy, and daunting to work on with the whole cab propped precariously just above your head!

The safety concern is an increasing one as well. While you were above most veichles, your legs were still the crush-zone, so to speak. And really overall, most people just plain prefer a cowl-model truck with a conventional hood to a cab-over. They survived the late 70's and early 80's thanks to "B.J. & the Bear" but after that left mainstream TV, they never recovered. (If you don't understand this, don't worry - you're just young.) Your acquaintance who bragged on cabovers is a rare-one, indeed!
Old 09-07-2007, 07:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Aerodynamics and fuel economy killed the COE.
And already mentioned, drivers prefer conventionals over COE's. Unless they drive in urban settings only.

MikeyB
Old 09-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyB
Aerodynamics and fuel economy killed the COE.
And already mentioned, drivers prefer conventionals over COE's. Unless they drive in urban settings only.

MikeyB
Those trucks literally have the aerodynamics of a brick wall.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always thought they looked pretty sweet when I was younger, really don't see them.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:19 PM

Freightliner is the only one in US. making them http://www.highwaystarcareers.com/yo...ture.cfm?ID=52
Old 09-07-2007, 12:28 PM

I drove a White c.o., that was in the 60`s they were good for around town, but no hell on the highway.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just think conventionals look better.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by RickG
Freightliner is the only one in US. making them http://www.highwaystarcareers.com/yo...ture.cfm?ID=52
Mack still makes them.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Banned

i always see them moving trailer homes. i guess the short front end(or lack there of) makes them ideal in narrow areas! most of the ones ive seen though are usually single screw and looking pretty worn out!

brett
Old 09-07-2007, 02:32 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
They also ride like......... well, really bad. Think about it, you are sitting ON top of the steering axle of a short wheel base truck. They just bounce like crazy. You almost need a kidney belt. Of course, I'm speaking of old White-Freightliners and Freightliners from the '80's.......
Old 09-07-2007, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by logskidder
Mack still makes them.
If your talking about things like trash trucks and construction trucks , you're right . International also makes cabover city delivery trucks . I was referring to OTR tractors .
Old 09-07-2007, 05:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
We had one at the farm I used to work at. It's short wheelbase and tight turning circle made it nice for getting trailers up tight paths (can't call it a road) to get to grain bins and stuff.

At night you had to drive by the spotlight, because the headlights didn't work. Couldn't fix the headlights because the cab jack didn't work. It was a bit of a farm beater...

I could see where a cab over pickup could be handy, as room to swing the truck seems to be the limiting factor in where you can get a 5th wheel or trailer. I suppose the ride, safety, aerodynamic, and aesthetic disadvantages outweigh any benefit, though.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I always thought the Pete 379x was a gorgeous truck...

JMO

Quick Reply: Cab-over semi-trucks being replaced?