Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

'built ram tough' or 'bad luck streak continues'

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'built ram tough' or 'bad luck streak continues'

You guys are gonna love this one.
I was headed up north with my bike in the back. had a full tank and about 500lb of stuff loaded. doing about 45mph and traffic stopped really suddenly. When I hit the brakes they locked up instantly and I skidded right into the back end of some poor guy's acura. All I can think of is either I jumped on them too hard or the rotors are warped. Thank God the guy in the other car was okay. It was a Dr. headed into work too.. Boy I felt bad.
So the trunk, rear quarters and bumper were completely crushed in and all the ram got was a pushed back bumper and a crack in the grille.
How the heck do you do that kinda damage and not even get a scratch???
When I haul I always use a pile of extra tie-downs just in case I have to swerve or stop short. I had the frame tied to the back of the bed and the front in an X pattern and a strap across the real wheel. So the straps did their job.. nothing at all wrong with the bike.
So I have a lot more respect for the ram (I already had a lot for 8000lb and 350hp. Built like a tank!

This weekend didnt turn out much better. We got rained on in NY state and one of the guys caught a nail in his tire and insisted on heading home on the plug, after which the sun came out.
Still had fun though
Old 07-20-2008, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man, thats a bummer. glad everybody is ok.hope that dr. was cool about the whole thing
Old 07-20-2008, 11:28 PM

Few years back I was rear ended by a Ford Ranger pushed me into a Toyota SUV infront of me. I needed a new front/rear bumper and grill guard.
Both the Ranger and SUV had to be towed. I drove 1200 miles home
Old 07-21-2008, 07:14 AM

That's basically what my ins. agent told me as to why my premiums weren't going down like I thought they should every year. She said that since the truck is so big, a lot of damage happens to the other vehicle.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:28 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Your suppose to leave enough space between you and who your following so you can stop without hitting them.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:06 AM

Tell the idiot in the little car that cuts into your space that . . .
Old 07-21-2008, 10:51 PM

I really am not 100% sure what happened. I did a headcheck since I was thinking about moving over a lane to avoid any problems and when I looked back up only an instant later, I had no room at all.
I was hauling stuff so I gave myself plenty room. It just disappeared real fast.
You know whats REALLY crazy is that after all this bad luck I find out the guy with the plugged tire got nailed on the way home by a wheel that came off of a SUV and hit him head on. (Bike's totalled but hes ok).
what are the odds??

>Your suppose to leave enough space between you and who your following so >you can stop without hitting them.

Too true. Up here we have a lot of really crazy lane jockey types since everyone's fed up with the traffic. It just makes it so you cant leave any room for long. This is part of the reason I haul the bike up there instead of riding it the whole way. Imagine if Id been riding and rear ended this guy. Id probably have been in the passenger seat of the car in front of him
Old 07-22-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Few years back I had a brand new Duramax suddenly turn left in front of me while passing at 70 mph. No one hurt but the Dmax was totaled, I drove my 2500 away with only $1800 worth of damage.
My insurance adjuster said that in an accident a Ram always wins...
Old 07-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=infidel;2154249]Few years back I had a brand new Duramax suddenly turn left in front of me while passing at 70 mph. No one hurt but the Dmax was totaled,QUOTE]

I too hit a dmax once in my 1967 Beetle, beetle needed a bumper, dmax flipped and caught on fire and blew up.

no but in all seriousness, its how you hit someone, angle, speed, etc... The dodge's are made of the same thin sheet metal and plastic grilles that the dmax's are. What happends if two dodge's hit eachother? Ive seen plenty of badly wrecked fords, dodge's and chevy's that couldnt be driven away. They are all safe, as far as Im concerned. Only exception is the ford's are deadly in rollovers because the a-pillars are much weaker/thinner than the dodge's and GM's. I got rear ended by a toyota corrolla on the highway a few years ago, the toyota wrecked the hood, radiator, ac condensor, bumper, head lights. It put a tiny dent in my rear bumper and took some paint off my hitch. Does that make my truck some kinda rolling bomb shelter? No, he just happend to hit me in the "wrong" way for him.

other thing that sucks about the GM's in this aspect is the sit so frggin low, I nailed a deer going 75mph 2 years ago, because I had stock tires on and dropped the torsion bars at the time, the huge (full rack) buck was just the right height to go through the "grille" space between the bumper and hood. Bumper barely got tweaked, hood and front core support structure were untouched, but the deer fit through and punched the radiator/IC/condensor off their mounts and into the fan, and yes, I had to be towed home. On a ford too! In this case I woulda been much better in a dodge or ford, which actually sit up and have a nice stance like a heavy duty truck should.

just my own silly oppinioon

sorry to hear about the accident though, glad to hear the straps held and dindt let things go flying into the back of the cab. And hey, with the grille......good excuse to get an SRT hood! I think the 06+ dodges look sweet with those. EDIT: duh, never saw that you had a second gen...I ASSumed it was a third gen for some reason...

ben
Old 07-22-2008, 06:58 PM

I got all of ya beat.
I got hit by a 10,000 lb 38 foot Cigarette boat and after I busted the fan shroud out of the way, drove the 100 miles back home.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:05 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Checkmate
I got all of ya beat.
I got hit by a 10,000 lb 38 foot Cigarette boat and after I busted the fan shroud out of the way, drove the 100 miles back home.
So..........why were you driving your Ram in the Lake?

Old 07-23-2008, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
So..........why were you driving your Ram in the Lake?

Now that's FUNNY...
Old 07-23-2008, 02:49 PM

California must be wacko!!! I passed another truck on a narrow road. Our two mirrors clashed. Not too much damage. His hand was out he window so it got a few scratches. His insurance said it was "No fault" Mine said it was my fault. My insurance went from 600 every 6 months to 1300. What sense does that make???
Old 07-23-2008, 02:59 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got someone about three years ago, nailed him good. I used to have pictures, standing in one spot I took a picture of his car (Buick) and my truck. You'd swear there was absolutely no damage to my truck. I did get a new grille, some other plastic stuff, and oh, yeah, a whole dashboard....cuz, uh...... my sons hand hit it during the accident.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:01 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: 'built ram tough' or 'bad luck streak continues'