General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Bring On The New Duramax

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 03:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't understand it. GMC puts out an engine that has had many more well documented problems that the CTD, and they come out with a newer version on the same old pice of junk, that is UNPROVEN to be reliable and everyone thinks its the greatest thing since sliced bread. What about the poor saps that bought the first ones to go bad? Their resale values of the "good" ones is in the crapper! Why do you think this GMC Dmax engine will be any different? How can it be? Because of new injectors? Give me a break!

If its the tranny you are after take your truck to DTT or Georand Bros (only to name a few) and turn them loose on it.

I just don't get it!

Like the previous post said; "I bought the Cummins and the they threw in the Dodge truck to get it to me." I want a truck that I can get my money's worth from. The only engine worth having is a CDT. IMHO.

I just don't want to be anybody's guinea pig unless I'm being paid.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I test drove all 3 about a year or so ago.

chevy - more gadgets and creature comforts, HATE the front end on them

ford - pretty good ride & gadgets, nice looking truck

dodge - more brute power, better looking truck

All in all, it's really a matter of preference.

I do think it is funny that they have added roughly 15% more cid to make the power.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Geico266
I don't understand it. GMC puts out an engine that has had many more well documented problems that the CTD, and they come out with a newer version on the same old pice of junk, that is UNPROVEN to be reliable and everyone thinks its the greatest thing since sliced bread. What about the poor saps that bought the first ones to go bad? Their resale values of the "good" ones is in the crapper! Why do you think this GMC Dmax engine will be any different? How can it be? Because of new injectors? Give me a break!

If its the tranny you are after take your truck to DTT or Georand Bros (only to name a few) and turn them loose on it.

I just don't get it!

Like the previous post said; "I bought the Cummins and the they threw in the Dodge truck to get it to me." I want a truck that I can get my money's worth from. The only engine worth having is a CDT. IMHO.

Dude the new dmax has absolutely nothing in comon with the old 6.5td if that was what you were refering to.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by countrycoach
Dude the new dmax has absolutely nothing in comon with the old 6.5td if that was what you were refering to.
The first Duramaxes also had their fair share of problems... Not anything like the first 6.0's, but the Isuzu's liked to eat injectors and do other things.

But as far as I know the newer Duramaxes are pretty trouble-free.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1
But as far as I know the newer Duramaxes are pretty trouble-free.
Based on what evidence? How long has the new engine been out? How many million miles has it been tested compaired to the CTD? It might be the best engine the world have ever seen, but you cannot prove it until you have a PROVEN track record like the CTD. Until then you are a guinea pig for GM. IMHO
Old 10-31-2005, 07:12 PM
FAY

Bring On The Duramax

Originally Posted by countrycoach
I understand that having tq down low is a good thing... but how low is good? When I am cruising at 60 with a load, that is when I want my tq which happens to be around 17-1800 rpms. that 1400 rpm max tq does you no good if you want to sustain 60 up a long hill. To me anyway I would prefer a tq reading just below 2000 rpms. I might have the concept all wrong but how many of us pull a hill at 1400 rpms? I know if I get that low in o.d. that I will downshift to maintain a resonable pace up a hill so I don't get blown by. Correct me if my asumption is all wrong.

Thanks John Kruckeberg
Hi John,

By what you wrote I can determine that you do not have adequate understanding about the torque curve for an internal combustion engine. I am not an engineer or even a mechanic, but I have learned a few things that I will try to pass on to you. Do not feel slighted as I did not know even as much as you at the present time when I started to put this knowledge into my head by researching the facts. If someone wants to correct me I will not feel put down. I welcome all the help I can get toward understanding this technology more fully.

You probably can go to the Cummins, GM and Ford websites and they may have a torque curve available about their respective diesel engines for everyone to view. There may be a certain amount of propaganda to sift through, but I know Cummins does not give out any deceptive facts like the other two inferior torque curves.

The peak torque value is the highest twisting force that can be achieve no matter how much more fuel is applied by the operator of a stock engine. Minimum though steadily rising torque is first achieved when the engine initially starts turning or straining above idle rpm against the load resistance to get it moving and to achieve some rate of increasing velocity. When the most output infuence from the engine straining against load resistance is achieved, then that is peak torque, and it usually first happens at some rpm from 1100 to 1800 rpm depending on the year the CTD was manucfactured. The peak torque will last for about six to seven hundred rpm after it first started. CTD usually has a flat torque curve once peak torque is first reached at a certain rpm until the increasing engine rpm with increasing ground velocity does not need to strain as hard to keep moving the load in a particular gear. Then the torque curve starts to decrease rapidly as rpm advances and hp increases. Next, a higher gear should be introduced before the torque nears falling off, and the rpm is taken back to some rpm near before or after the peak torque first started. Duramax and Power Stroke do not have as flat a torque curve as the CTD. The two V8 engines' somewhat high torque value takes longer to peak and then within a couple hundred rpm starts decreasing slowly while still at a somewhat high value much sooner than the CTD after the peak value is first reached. High torque is needed immediately after the engine leaves idle rpm until enough inerta in the moving vehicle and load is reached at a high enough rpm to sustain movement somewhat with less force from the engine. Torque curves are just a graph depictions of the torque values at certain rpm values for different engines. I will comment more on this issue later. This is not bull **** trying to baffle brains.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:48 PM

I want as much low end as I could get for pulling especially with a standard transmission to help pull up rpm when shifting as I don't like to have to run rpm up high just to be able to pull in the next gear and to get the load moving with out reving the heck out of the motor, and when pulling on slow speed or hilly roads theres alot less down shifting with a good amount of low end torque
Old 10-31-2005, 07:51 PM

Location: Lingleville TX but active duty Air Force all over the world currently
YOU WERE THE GUINEA PIG.........99 24V.......3 LIFT PUMPS.......LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE BEEN PAYING INSTEAD OF BEING PAID........WHO WOULD BUY FIRTS YEAR PRODUCTION??? HMMM
Old 10-31-2005, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by zack_76401
YOU WERE THE GUINEA PIG.........99 24V.......3 LIFT PUMPS.......LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE BEEN PAYING INSTEAD OF BEING PAID........WHO WOULD BUY FIRTS YEAR PRODUCTION??? HMMM
Okay Chevy fan, You got me there..... 2 LPs under warranty (FREE) I paid for one $160. Yup you got me, called me right out, saw right through me. I was 100% wrong, Dmax is WAY better than Cummins. Gonna sell mine tonight. Yup, I'll bet you feel good about that one huh?

$160? Give me a break!
Old 10-31-2005, 08:17 PM

Based on what evidence? How long has the new engine been out? How many million miles has it been tested compaired to the CTD? It might be the best engine the world have ever seen, but you cannot prove it until you have a PROVEN track record like the CTD. Until then you are a guinea pig for GM. IMHO

I guess you are referring to the trouble free 53 blocks, the trouble free lift pump, the never say die injection pump, and lets not forget the injector problems they are having with the new motors. And I won't even bring up the steller record that the dodge auto trans have.....
Old 10-31-2005, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
I guess you are referring to the trouble free 53 blocks, the trouble free lift pump, the never say die injection pump, and lets not forget the injector problems they are having with the new motors. And I won't even bring up the steller record that the dodge auto trans have.....
180,000 miles, same IP, original tranny. Anymore questions?

If you hate Cummins so much why did you buy one?
Old 10-31-2005, 09:12 PM

called the dealer today to test drive an 06 LBZ, nice truck, little quieter than mine, and a bit smother on the shifts, love the 6 speed allison, best tranny out there hands down, had the gtech and it did 15.6 in the quater, not bad at all for a stock truck, i think this will be a easy 12 second truck with very few mods and a tune, the tq is going to give this motor dibbs over the other two makers, will be a motor for all to wrecken with, time for the cummins to get serious about light duty diesels
Old 10-31-2005, 09:31 PM

Yeah right 15.6...got the time slip from a sanctioned track to back that up?....we are all waiting to see it...and NO, photo shop copies don't count. Because I am real sure that you actually found 1/2 mile of flat smooth pavement where you and the chevy dealer lackey went full bore for 1/4 mile with adequate room for shutdown and no interference from traffic. Hahahahahaha..now that is entertainment on a test drive. By the way does chevy even make a real light duty diesel, or a medium or heavy duty???? I know Cummins does.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:48 PM

Dont get me wrong i love this site and most on here are some of hte most knowlagable people I have ever comae across when concerning our trucks but it seems to me there are also some of the most hypicritical people on the planet roaming around on here as well. For what ever reason people seem to put on blinders when the all mighty cummins has problems and jump at every chance to point out the aponents most minute problem. And if they should happen to have anything that they can manage to make seem like a major problem they yell and scream abought how big of a peice of junk the other brand is. I love my Cummins most of the time but it has not been problem free. I have driven the Dmax a few times and wish i could aford one for the wife to drive but I am keeping my CTD. If I somehow come across a deal i cant pass up i may end up in a Dmax someday but not now. A far as the Dmax being on its 3rd version in 5 years that may very well be the case but if you look back at the last 5 years of CTD history how many versions have there been. Of the top of my head i can come up with atleast 5. 2nd gen SO and HO versions 03-04 SO and HO versions and now the 600 series. If You wanted you could posible even cionsider the 610 the 6th version but it has been argued that it is exactly the same as the 600 just a play on numbers. Now before you go and claim that all the versions are the same engine except the 2nd gen to 3rd gen jump and that the rest of the versions are just minor diferences what is the differences in the Dmax? As far as i know there was only 1 major overhaule of the Dmax in that time frame, the same as the Cummins. The rest of the changes are no more major than the changes made to the cummins over the same time that you will undoughtadly argue are not worth making fuss over. As far as the dodge/cummins combo being perfect and reliable for ever.I had a 98.5 4x4 that I traded for this truck and 2 weeks after i traded it with around 75k the VP 44 went out and cos the new owner a pile of money to get fixed. Teh truck was latter sold privatly to a local person. I ran into him whille filling hte truck one day and he had only had it a few days and already had to put well over $800 into the front end on the truck. Everything on the front end was shot with a little over 100k on the truck. So the all mighty Dodge /Cummins combo is not with out faults that are definatly no more or less major than the other brands faults.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:26 PM

Location: Lingleville TX but active duty Air Force all over the world currently
Okay Chevy fan, You got me there..... 2 LPs under warranty (FREE) I paid for one $160. Yup you got me, called me right out, saw right through me. I was 100% wrong, Dmax is WAY better than Cummins. Gonna sell mine tonight. Yup, I'll bet you feel good about that one huh?

$160? Give me a break!
Not a chevy fan at all..I drive a Cummins too.......bottom line is they have there problems and shortcomings. I love my Cummins but if something better is out there don't knock it til you've tried it. I test drove a few Duramax diesels last year and didn't care for them. I don't understand why you are getting so worked up over a company releasing another diesel engine....

You don't like it you don't buy..its as simple as that...I'm not fussing over it.

Quick Reply: Bring On The New Duramax