General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Block Heater Power Draw vs Extension Cord

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Block Heater Power Draw vs Extension Cord

Hey guys,
I'm interested in your thoughts/knowledge about plugging in two trucks on one extension cord.

Long story short, I am unable plug in both of our trucks on different circuits. (Without a lot of extension cords).
For that matter, I'm unable to plug my truck into different outlets.
So, I currently have a 50' 16 gauge extension cord that runs to a 6 plug surge protector.
It is that surge protector where I plug in my truck now.
However, I now have a 2nd truck that will be sharing that same surge protector.

So, question is, how much power do the block heaters on these trucks pull and will 50' of 16 gauge extension cord be able to handle the demand?

Looking forward to your input.
Attached Thumbnails Block Heater Power Draw vs Extension Cord-smokekit.jpg  
Old 09-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
2 of them will pull 1500 watts they are 750 each...I would use a heavier cord myself.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
IIRC the heaters are only abut 750 watts, should draw around 6-7 amps, times 2 is 12-14amps. Cutting it close for a 15amp circuit even if there is nothing else on it, should be fine on a 20. Heavier cord greatly recommended.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:44 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
iirc the block heater is rated at 750 watts multiply by 2 since there would be two of them and that is 1500 watts. If my math and ohms law skills are correct that translates into 12.5 amps (or 13.6 amps cant remember if you use 120 or 110 volts for the calc). A single circuit should be able to handle that without problem assuming there is not anything else on that circuit that uses a large draw. Depending on the electrical infrastructure of the house a 15amp fuse/circuit breaker is probably the minimum of what is there for a circuit and if newer more than likely a 20 amp breaker. So again should not be a problem assuming there are not any other large draw items or multitude of smaller items working at the same time on that circuit. Sometimes they hook up a garage or outdoor recepticle on the same gfi as the bathroom or kitchen. They have done that in my house if my wife is drying her hair and I decide to run the circular saw boom boom out go the lights and a trip to the panel is in order to restore.
The 16 gauge extension cord may not be adequate depending on length. I forget what the guidelines are on extension cord length, gauge, power going through it. I suspect a quick search on the net will provide that info perhaps a lowes or home depot site has that info.

Looks like you got the a couple similar answers while I was composing the reply
Old 09-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Thanks guys.
Yeah, looks like Im in for a 14 (At least) gauge extension cord.

However, it sure will suck if I cant open the garage door while the trucks are plugged in.
The only outlet on that side of the garage shares the plug with the dang garage door opener in the ceiling. (Hence why the extension cord is 50' - had to run it across the ceiling, across one wall, and down another wall).
Old 09-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Even at elevation, does it ever get cold enough to need to plug them in in Nevada?
Old 09-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by patdaly
Even at elevation, does it ever get cold enough to need to plug them in in Nevada?
Oh yeah, it gets cold enough to make 'em hard to start without being plugged in anyway.
Now, "cold" in Nevada has absolutely NOTHING on "cold" in Missouri.

Had to plug the truck the truck in while I lived in Missouri. Following the extension cord was the only way to find the truck under all the snow/ice.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
up here in North dakota I usually don't plug mine in until it gets below zero.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
even a 14 gauge cord is to small you need to be looking for a 8 or 10 guage cord to run the 50' and you might want to go to a 20 amp plug because you are very close on the amps for the 15 amp plug in
Old 10-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Well, Im already looking at ways to run some romax and/or a way to utilize the plug on the other end of the garage.
Romax is the most probable solution.
The other outlet would require another ~25' (or so) of extension cord.

The house we're in now is a temporary rental arrangement as we recently relocated. So my ability to change things around is very limited.

Im pretty sure the HOA wouldnt mind if I put one of these in my front yard:

Old 10-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Admin Team Leader

I use one of these block heater controllers on my truck http://eleproducts.com/controllers/products.php

Some guys think they are too expensive and simply run a timer so it is always warm at the right time to leave for work. I walk to work so I don't have a set time to go anywhere, my Wife is on call at the hospital and she may have to go out at 2 am in blizzard like conditions in which case I take her in my truck so a timer is no good for me.

The block heater controller only works when it has too, I plug it in and it only comes on if and when the temps get low enough to warrant it. It cycles depending on how cold it is for example: at 30 degrees it may only run 15 minutes per hour and then for every 5 degrees cooler it cycles longer until at 20 it runs full time. You can custom tune it to work best for your area and needs.

This allows me to plug it and forget it, it doesn't run on the days the temps rise but will at night if they dip and the truck is ready to go NOW 24 hrs a day using a LOT less electricity than if I just left it plugged in all winter long.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Administrator

That's pretty cool.
I have used a conventional heavy-duty timer, but its just that, a timer.
It comes on a set time - turns off at a set time.

So, I think that settles it.
I'm just going to move my family in with you Lary and use your block heater controller!.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:01 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I'd use a 12G extension.

Your best bet would be to put in another circuit breaker, and wire an outside outlet, or at least one near the garage door. use a 20 amp breaker and wire it with 12 G NM wire. It's a do-it-yourself project most of the time.

Then you can run a separate cheap (16g) 25' extension to each truck.

You also will have a convenient place to plug in a power tool, charcoal lighter, etc.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by DieselDaze

So, I think that settles it.
I'm just going to move my family in with you Lary and use your block heater controller!.
Whew...good thing I added a second story to the out house

A timer works great if you have a set schedule although it to will run on the weekends when you don't We can have weather in the high 30 low 40s one week and down to single digits the next here so it works great for me

I used to sell them in the store they have been greatly upgraded since I got mine, I may stock them again
Old 10-01-2013, 10:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I burned out 2, $10 plug-in timers last winter. Need to get a block heater in the Amigo yet, too.

Quick Reply: Block Heater Power Draw vs Extension Cord