General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Bad EBay Deal

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Bad EBay Deal

I recently bought a 47RH tranny off EBay that was advertised as being DTT- built. Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

When it arrived I called DTT for information on it and discovered it is not a DTT transmission. (DTT knew immediately it wasn't their torque converter since theirs have drain plugs, and other evidence presented when the pan was removed.) So now I have a PayPal Claim pending.

I have a number of questions I hope some of you fellows can help me with. Does anyone know anything about the seller - he's in Adairsville, Georgia. Does anyone know whose truck he parted out? He claims he bought a truck that had a cab fire and that's where the tranny came from. On the day he auctioned the tranny, he also auctioned a number of other items from this truck, including a twin turbo setup. Does any of this look or sound familiar to anyone? Blacksdieselperformance couldn't help me contact the former owner of the truck, but said he was from Maryland not Adairsville, but I don't trust what he says. I believe blacksdieselperformance doesn't want me to contact the former truck owner because he might tell me that there never was a DTT tranny in his truck, and blacksdieselperformance's defense is claiming that the seller told him that the tranny was DTT built. That's not a good defense, anyway, since he is responsible for his auction wording, but it would look really bad if he purposely misrepresented his product. Thanks in advance for any help.

Here are a few pictures of the torque converter, perhaps someone can help identify who made it: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ll&limit=last1

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ll&limit=last1

Old 05-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
He goes by the name sliqwille04 here on DTR.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks to be made by the same company that I bought one from before i did my good transmission rebuild. I dont know who exactly made it...but it had basically the same sticker with different code on it. I have pictures of it in a previous post somewhere when I had transmission problems. If you look back through my posts you might be able to find it.

As far as i know my old one like you have pictured above was just a heavy duty verison of the stock one minus the lock up like yours has.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
He goes by the name sliqwille04 here on DTR.
not to be confused by me
Old 05-05-2008, 10:15 PM

Looks like he covered his rear by saying: 'It is being sold as is, no warranty or guarantee.' Unless there's some ebay wording leg you can stand on. For the rest of ya, don't buy anything from ebay. Keep in mind, it's ebay.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:27 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I am scared of doing any ebay buisness. I like local deals if possible.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
that almost look like a stocker lock up converter, i just installed my rebuilt tranny with the rebuilt tourque converter and it looks identical.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by bgilbert
Looks like he covered his rear by saying: 'It is being sold as is, no warranty or guarantee.' Unless there's some ebay wording leg you can stand on. For the rest of ya, don't buy anything from ebay. Keep in mind, it's ebay.
Gilbert, I kinda agree that Ebay is a crapshoot. But just to clue everyone in, Paypal will reimburse up to $2,000 if they find me to be the righteous party. And, you're right, the seller did say 'It is being sold as is..........or guarantee. But in the auction title and in the auction body he clearly stated it was a DTT-built tranny. And that's what I bid on - cause the used parts and core still have considerable value. But its not a DTT transmission and doesn't appear to contain DTT parts (I haven't disassembled the whole tranny, just observed what's visible with pan removed). Anyway, we'll see if he can advertise a DTT trans and send a generic trans. If so, I'll quit EBay too!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by mullishacrew
that almost look like a stocker lock up converter, i just installed my rebuilt tranny with the rebuilt tourque converter and it looks identical.
Thanks mullishacrew! Please excuse my ignorance, but others have said this is a "billet torque converter". I thought that was different from a stocker. Anyone knowledgeable about that?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree that it's a stock rebuild job(converter). My bro bought his '98 on an estate auction. It had 120k and we figured the t/c was loose. Pulled it out to put in the nv4500, and found a blue converter with a sticker on it. The converter wasn't even 3 months old! I would find a better one before I put the trans in.
I billet converter is just that. The whole font plate is machined from solid steel, not a stamping. It will look much heavier.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 AM

LS-lowered stall/ HD- heavy duty/ RV-tow converter
LS/HD/RV= Upgraded stock converter. It may have a billet cover but that is no tripple disc. Should have a 20% larger single disc inside. I'd say tranny shop Knock Off!
Old 05-06-2008, 11:15 AM

I don't think it's a crapshoot. I've never been shafted on E-bay, and even if I got shafted I won't let that one time stop me from continuing to use it. The negative of something speaks so much louder than the positive. Remember growing up when you did something bad for one minute you got scalded, but you could be good all week and not much was said.......that's kinda like anything else in life it seems.
There are great finds on E-bay. I just stay cautious and don't go for anything that is sold as-is without a guarantee.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:30 AM

Thanks for all the replies, but I'm still confused. Is this a billet converter, or are my pictures not good enough to determine that? If it is a billet converter, I thought there are only a few outfits that manufacture them. If so, it seems there should be some way to identify the maker of this one - or at least narrow it down - is that possible? Does anyone know if there is a master list of outfits that manufacture billet converters?
Old 05-06-2008, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hfletcher
Thanks for all the replies, but I'm still confused. Is this a billet converter, or are my pictures not good enough to determine that?
I just got in from looking at my single disk billet converter and yours looks like it has a billet front cover, single disk. If you want to see what a triple disk looks like go through my gallery.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by JD730
I just got in from looking at my single disk billet converter and yours looks like it has a billet front cover, single disk. If you want to see what a triple disk looks like go through my gallery.
Thanks JD730. I checked out your gallery and, yes, my TC doesn't look anything like your triple disc. Do you by chance have a picture of your single disc 47RH lock up converter. By the way, I gone over your 47RH rebuild thread several times and that is what gave me the confidence to give this a try - but things aren't starting off very well.

Quick Reply: Bad EBay Deal